Laptops forum

General discussion

"Plugged in, not charging"

by BadCookies / June 12, 2009 2:10 PM PDT

Hello all.

Well, my problem... Sunday I noticed that my battery icon was saying "plugged in, not charging". I checked my outlet, my ac adapter, the brick between the two and the port on the laptop. I have G60 235X. I spoke to an HP tech person and they told me it's something in the computer that needs to be fixed, they said it's a "needle" inside. Not sure. I talked to a couple more people and some had me uninstall the battery in device manager and then search for hardware changes. That worked... temporarily. My battery is fine (I did a check). I am not sure what it is. They sent out a box for me to send it to them but it's the wrong kind of box. But I am not convinced it's something internal. I Googled the problem and it seems that many people have it.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Plugged in, not charging"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Plugged in, not charging"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Plugged in, not charging" SOLUTION!!!
by angelbuer / January 2, 2010 4:51 AM PST

THIS IS THE SOLUTION AND IT WILL TAKE 90 SECONDS TO FIX

Power management software in Windows Vista

Understanding battery charging issues
If the notebook battery is not charging or the notebook does not indicate that the battery is charging, the most likely scenario is that the battery itself is operating correctly, but its power management software may have become corrupt. In order to correct the problem, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the power management software by using the Device Manager. This document will explain how to uninstall and reinstall the ACPI Battery listings in Windows Vista, as well as how to obtain and install updated BIOS files, if needed to correct other battery issues.
Uninstalling and reinstalling power management software in Windows Vista
In order to correct problems with the battery's power management software, follow the steps below.
1. Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager .
2. Expand the Batteries category.
3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes .
Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes .
Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by CodesAway / January 3, 2010 7:53 AM PST

Awesome, thanks! Ten minutes ago (or so), my battery said "Plugged in, not charging", did a google search, read a few "solutions", but they said something along the lines of "your battery is broken".

Then, I came across your post, followed your steps, and it works! To be honest, I don't think I have EVER had a "bug" that was this easy to fix. Thank you.

Collapse -
Take the stage please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 5, 2010 5:16 AM PST

I've made this post a sticky for awhile and unlocked the forum sticky for you to add this to the Laptop Troubleshooting Sticky.

You do that and it will be around posted by YOU!

Thanks for this one. It should help more than a few.
Bob

Collapse -
Plugged in not charging
by H1963 / January 8, 2010 7:16 PM PST

I am having the same problem with my month old Acer Aspire 7540 running 64 bit Windows 7. Please could you advise me whether the instructions given by angelbuer on the 1/2/10 would work with Windows 7. I have looked in Device Manager and everything appears to be the same as listed but before I take the plunge I would appreciate confirmation.

Thanks H1963

Collapse -
Worked Like a Charm
by CompaqDude / February 24, 2010 11:00 AM PST

Thanks so much for this simple and helpful guide!

Collapse -
I'm having the same problem
by mrsdeese / March 3, 2010 2:21 AM PST

I'm having the same problem but my battery is now died. I'm not sure what I should do. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
If the battery is dead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2010 10:38 AM PST

Please remove it from the machine as a dead battery can damage charging circuits. Then a new battery won't work either!

Collapse -
Still not working =(
by sweetmomma05 / March 3, 2010 3:42 PM PST

I did just as you said, and after a second or so the levels start moving up. But after 1 minute, it stops. I did it twice thinking maybe i missed something, but nope it happened again.
HELP its annoying.

Collapse -
If a dead battery
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2010 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: Still not working =(

Damaged the charging circuits these circuits are on the main board. So you replace that. Many never do that turn the laptop into a desktop.
Bob

Collapse -
Same here
by bsquire65 / April 12, 2010 1:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Still not working =(

It'll go up by about 2%age points and then stop charging.

Collapse -
If this post doesn't apply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2010 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Same here

Be sure to make a new post.

Many forget to tell how old the battery is. If over a year the answer will be to replace it.

Collapse -
Not charging solution didn't work.
by Ragwingbob / May 13, 2010 3:31 PM PDT

This did not work for me. HP Pavilion, Vista. Still not charging. Some days it charges, some days it doesn't, and I have not been able to discern a patten. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
If this didn't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2010 11:36 PM PDT

Call HP and arrange to find out how much to fix it. This top STICKY post may be closed if others try to start new discussions in it. Sorry but that's what a sticky is for.

Collapse -
battery plugged in not charging
by budbelinha / May 18, 2010 1:53 AM PDT

Hello. I have a Acer Aspire 5810T with windows 7 and I have the same problem. The icon says 97% available, plugged in, not charging. When I take de AC adapter out the notebook shuts down immediatelly. I tried the solution that you wrote but it didn't work. Can you help me?

Collapse -
Locked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2010 6:04 AM PDT

This discussion is a sticky and as such is special. I see it now must be locked.

Please start a new posting.

To budbelinha. Try restoring the machine to it's factory OS install and if that fails, arrange to have the machine repaired.
Bob

Collapse -
Is the battery locked in?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 3:24 AM PST

Contribution by M-baby2 - 1/17/12 11:42 AM
"I
had a real duuh moment with this problem. Before you freak out, and
spend a lot of money....try turning the batteri release to LOCK. My was
'UNLOCKED' and I looked all over for a solution. Then flipped the sucker
over and pressed the lock into place. Presto, all fixed"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.