Audio & Video Software

Question

Pls recommend DVD ripper for LEGAL project!

by new48er / January 20, 2013 1:50 PM PST

Hello,

I have an older DVD writer that I'm using to convert old family VHS tapes to digital format.

The DVD burner produces files in VOB format, which I am unable to edit in MS Moviemaker.

I know this question comes up from time to time, but the answer changes, as software, formats, laws change...

What will be the best shareware or freeware out there for my project - converting .VOB files to a format that I can manipulate and edit in MS Moviemaker?

Thank you!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pls recommend DVD ripper for LEGAL project!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pls recommend DVD ripper for LEGAL project!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No ripper needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 2:51 PM PST

As VOB is plain MPEG2 you only need to encode that in what MS Moviemaker wants. I can't guess since that changed over the years but you can decode what that is.

Use "Media Info" to see what MS Moviemaker wants then use a video convertor. No ripping required.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks R.! Need recommendation on video convertor, then!
by new48er / January 20, 2013 3:33 PM PST
In reply to: No ripper needed.

Thanks so much, R.P.!

Any recommendation on a video convertor that is (preferably) shareware, or freeware, that doesn't come with a bunch of adware/malware crap?

Bests!

Collapse -
Convertors I'm using.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 8:12 AM PST

Just titles. Some are a bit hard to find.

HANDBRAKE
SUPER (as I noted, a little hard to find.)
VIRTUAL DUB (Uses CODECS so MEDIA INFO or similar and how/what are codec knowledge is needed.)
VLC PLAYER (little iffy at times on conversion but love that it plays almost anything.)
DVD FLICK (not an actual convertor but I've used it to do "tricks".)
IMGBURN (definitely not a convertor but a fine tool in the box.)

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
From Michael (without spam)
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 5:18 PM PST

As you can see MS Moviemaker support those formats
Video files: .asf, .avi, .wmv
Movie files: MPEG1, .mpeg, .mpg, .m1v, .mp2
Audio files: .wav, .snd, .au, .aif, .aifc, .aiff
Windows Media files: .asf, .wm, .wma, .wmv
Still images: .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .jfif, .gif
MP3 format audio: .mp3

so your ripper program should be able to output one of these formats.

Collapse -
What a second. AVI is a container.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 2:28 AM PST

AVI is sometimes misquoted as a format and hilarity ensues.

Collapse -
"Container"?
by new48er / January 24, 2013 9:00 AM PST

Thanks for the comment/tip!

What is a "container" in this context?!

Collapse -
AVI as well as .MKV are containers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 1:47 PM PST
In reply to: "Container"?

You can place encoded (maybe even raw) content in either. Think of it as a bucket.

There are a lot of web pages about this but when I hear the sales folk tell it it plays all AVI files, I know they don't know.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.