Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

pls help : Replacing Yahoo with Google search in Firefox

by geneearl / August 23, 2007 1:45 PM PDT

Hi!

After reformatting my hard drives and re-installing Windows, I downloaded Yahoo! Messenger. I forgot to uncheck the "USE YAHOO! AS MY DEFAULT SEARCH ENGINE" AND ALSO ALLOWED THE INSTALLATION OF THE YAHOO! TOOLBAR. Then I downloaded and installed Firefox. But then it also had a YAHOO TOOLBAR and it had YAHOO as the default search engine.

I really wanted google's toolbar because it had a cool feature that lets you type the site name in the address bar and it automatically goes to the website that's at the top of google's search result list. (e.g. typing "cnet" automatically goes to "www.cnet.com") But now, I couldn't do it anymore. So i uninstalled the Yahoo Toolbar and left the Google Toolbar running. But when i try to type something in the address bar, it directs me to the YAHOO SEARCH WEBSITE!.. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox but nothing happens.

HOW DO YOU DISABLE YAHOO SEARCH AND ENABLE THE COOL GOOGLE FEATURE?

please help.. THANK YOU!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pls help : Replacing Yahoo with Google search in Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pls help : Replacing Yahoo with Google search in Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Make Google my default search engine
by PudgyOne / August 23, 2007 1:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
I've already done that (3-4x) before but nothing changes.
by geneearl / August 23, 2007 5:21 PM PDT

I've already UNINSTALLED the YAHOO toolbar
and INSTALLED the GOOGLE toolbar but still, it goes to yahoo search..

thanks for your reply!

if you have other suggestions, please let me know.. thank you!

Collapse -
In Mozilla Firefox
by PudgyOne / August 23, 2007 10:57 PM PDT

In the address bar type

about:config

now type the word search

in

browser.default.searchenginename

double click on it and type Google then click ok

in

browser.search.defaulturl

double click on it and copy and paste

http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=

and click ok

Just close window and restart Mozilla Firefox. Google should now be the default search engine again.

Rick

Collapse -
still no good..
by geneearl / August 24, 2007 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: In Mozilla Firefox

I've checked the about:config and everything is set to GOOGLE.. I even disabled and erased the values of everything mentioning Yahoo but it still didn't work. It seems that mozilla tracks and saves the settings from the first time you download firefox. Because even if I've uninstalled Google Toolbar then uninstall Firefox (plan to reinstall everything again) it still has the google toolbar and still goes to yahoo everytime i search something w/o the ".com" or the like at the end.

Any other suggestions? hehehe.. Thanks for helping me out!..

Another question, if i run out of options, I'm planning to use another browser. Can u suggest any other browser that matches (or close to) the speed and plugins in firefox that can use the google feature?

Thanks again!

Collapse -
If you plan to reinstall Mozilla Firfefox
by PudgyOne / August 25, 2007 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: still no good..

uninstall it.

right click on start

left click on explore

look for program files can click on the + sign

look for the Mozilla Firefox folder and delete it.

Restart your computer.

Now install Mozilla Firefox.

Rick

***Remember all your extensions and bookmarks will be lost, unless you save them from that Mazilla Firefox folder.

Collapse -
Wohoo!
by geneearl / August 25, 2007 7:04 PM PDT

Thanks! I got it back!

I just missed the RESTART part. Before, I just reinstalled firefox immediately after uninstalling it w/o restarting the system. (stupid, i know.. hehehe) But I also did something extra.

++Went to search from the start menu then searched for all files having anything to do with "MOZILLA" and "FIREFOX" then I deleted them all.

++Restarted the system

++Reinstalled Firefox

I didn't even have to download the google toolbar to get the feature i wanted! wohoo!

Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Glad you go it straightened out.
by PudgyOne / August 26, 2007 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Wohoo!

Thanks for posting back.

Just be careful when downloading programs. Some want you to install things you don't want or need. Remember that's what got you into this situation.

Take care,

Rick

Collapse -
THIS IS WHAT YOU DO :) i JUST DID IT
by tarcysuz / March 12, 2010 3:51 PM PST

If you have done everything that PudgyOne has said to do (and all is set to Google), then this is the last step you should need to take, in order to restore, or make Google as your default search engine using the address bar:

=========================================================

(Do the) about:config (in your address bar)

-when the results show up:

(then search for, or find)

keyword.URL

(Right click, and select Modify @ ----- keyword.URL -------)

In place of whatever is there, copy and paste this into that link/space/spot (whatever you want to call it):

This is what you C&P into that spot in place of whatever is there now:

(Click OK)

And tada!!!!! That should do it!!!
Be sure you have done all of the prior steps that PudgyOne talked about, and then do the step I mentioned. (playbox was what I needed to replace...it's a ******!)

Gl!!!

Collapse -
Re: THIS IS WHAT YOU DO :) i JUST DID IT
by Mav_Destroyer / April 29, 2010 10:21 PM PDT

thank you! i was having the same problem. your tip fixed it. thanks again Happy

Collapse -
Yes!
by PacificBlu2 / July 1, 2010 11:01 PM PDT

You will like Maxthon! It's quicker than Firefox in my opinion; I've got 4 search engines: Maxthon, Google Chrome (super fast!!), Firefox, and IE. I like Maxthon cause you can change your skins to really neat stuff, and you can use google as your search engine. I'm having the same problem as you with the yahoo taking over as my search engine. I just don't get it. but it's usually doing that on Firefox. Maxthon does what you tell it to. You should check it out. Good luck. Just key in maxthon in your search box, and click on the download link. It's very safe and looks out for your searching safety!

Collapse -
Only one thing to add...
by margo779 / October 10, 2008 11:04 AM PDT

I changed everything you suggested, but it didn't work until I also changed this:

double click on:

keyword.url

copy and paste:

And voila! It worked! Thanks so much!! I would have never gotten this far without your help!

Collapse -
It Worked
by redheadkelly / April 16, 2010 11:48 AM PDT

Wow. Who knew?

Thanks.!

Collapse -
None of the above worked, but this did!!!
by joseph0707 / February 4, 2011 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: It Worked

I am using Mozilla 3.6 and tried all of the above but nothing worked.

But this did. Search in the about:config for browser.search.selectedEngine and then right click on that line, selected Modify, then typed in Google.

Close FireFox, then reopen. And Hallelujah, Google was there again. Good bye Yahoo!

Collapse -
Google Toolbar not yet compatible with Firefox 5
by cmjmarvin / June 28, 2011 7:04 AM PDT

I assume it will be soon.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.