Laptops

General discussion

Pls Help! My HP Probook 6550b Takes too long to load.

by Bennyjay / June 28, 2011 2:10 AM PDT

Hello,
My HP Probook 6550b running on win 7 takes about ten minutes to load OS. I have tried system restore but it doesn't work.
I did sfc/scannow with no result. But when the system finally loads. It runs normally.
Please i need help on how to make it to load os faster as it used to do.
thanks

Benny

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pls Help! My HP Probook 6550b Takes too long to load.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pls Help! My HP Probook 6550b Takes too long to load.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Zero detail?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2011 3:45 AM PDT

Sorry but as there is no mention of HDD make, model, RAM and more all I can offer is that you may want to be sure it has 4GB RAM and try some SSD drive. Then again I find folk install what we call TOXIC COMBINATIONS and some won't remove what we see. If you want to complete your post, just add details.
Bob

Collapse -
MORE DETAILS
by Bennyjay / June 28, 2011 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Zero detail?

HP Probook 6550b
RAM: 2GB, Processor : i3 CPU 2.4GHz, HDD: 300GB, OS; Win 7 Enterprise-32bit.

Thanks.

Benny

Collapse -
ENTERPRISE is REALLY GREAT NEWS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2011 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: MORE DETAILS

That version means you have big support back at the office. I think it's time to use that.

If this is not possible, restore it to the factory issued OS and it should run as fast as it did before ENTERPRISE.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: "faster as it used to do"
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 28, 2011 8:54 PM PDT

Use the system recovery options that came with your laptop to back to factory conditions. Then (if there are no hardware issues) it will run as fast as you did when it was new.

Kees

Collapse -
SYSTEM RECOVERY OPTION
by Bennyjay / June 29, 2011 12:27 AM PDT

The system did not come with any disc. Is the system recovery option embedded in the system? How can i find it? I really need to restore the system back to factory condition. I appreciate all your contributions.
Thanks

Benny

Collapse -
Re: system recovery
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 29, 2011 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: SYSTEM RECOVERY OPTION

For system recovery there usually are 5 options. It's up to the maker (HP) to choose and implement one or more.

1. Add the disks to the package if you buy the laptop.
2. Prompt you to make your own disks the first time you use the lpatop. Some people don't accept the invitation, because they want to hurry to start using it.
3. Offer you the opportunity to make those disks any time later by some option in the start menu.
4. Have the system recovery data in a hidden partition on the hard disk and let you boot into that partition by pressing some custom key combination at boot.
5. Offer them for sale via their Customer Services.

It seems HP didn't choose #1 for your laptop. But I'm rather sure they have #5, and possibly (depending on quite a lot of things) one of the other also. It should be in the user manual. Or didn't they include that either in the package?

Kees

Collapse -
SYSTEM RESTORE
by Bennyjay / June 30, 2011 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: system recovery

I got an OS and Drv Restore CDs and I did a clean re-installation. But the PC still takes a longer time to load OS after which it would run normally. I dont know what else to do? I need help here, pls.
Thanks.

Benny

Collapse -
Look at my first reply and.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2011 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: SYSTEM RESTORE

You have a warranty issue. It's done since new it seems so let your ENTERPRISE support and HP take care of it.

You revealed that ENTERPRISE version which comes with support folk really need.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.