Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

Pls. help me pick a search engine.

by gflash128 / August 18, 2012 3:38 AM PDT

Hi everyone! I hope I'm in the right forum ?!?
I have used Google for as long as I can I remember, home page too.
Recently, since Google started sharing info, tailoring results to your personal searching (as opposed to displaying most relevant.) Social networking, and so on.....
I have decided to leave Google. but where to go?
I need your personal favorites and why?
What about a Metasearch?
and then there's the choice of home page?

Any help?
Gordon

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pls. help me pick a search engine.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pls. help me pick a search engine.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Spec's on above post:
by gflash128 / August 18, 2012 3:46 AM PDT

ASUS laptop model k501, Pentium dual core @2.2GHz, 3GB Ram, Win7, 64bit operating system

Collapse -
Answer
yahoo?
by bella2011111 / August 23, 2012 6:14 PM PDT

I can think of nothing better. However, yahoo and bing are the extra options.

Collapse -
Yahoo is the next google!!
by gflash128 / August 24, 2012 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: yahoo?

They already have most of the functionality (i.e. chat, connected to Facebook, collecting tracking cookies)
I'm Looking for somewhere to go that isn't controlled by Mark Zuckerburg!!

OOPS!.......Facebook has lost over half of it's stock value already, with no end in sight.

Collapse -
Answer
Private Search Engine
by robb7thurston / September 30, 2012 12:34 PM PDT

For total privacy and relevancy use Ixquick and DuckDuckGo.
Here is Ixquick: Add Ixquick to your Browser
https://www.ixquick.com/eng/download-ixquick-plugin.html.
Or use this search term: <<"https-""www-""ixquick-""com-""eng-""download-""ixquick-""plugin-""html-">>;
DuckDuckGo:
duckduckgo.com/
or use this search term: <<"duckduckgo-""com-">>

Collapse -
(NT) Go Duck Go!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2012 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Private Search Engine
Collapse -
Answer
Re: pick a search engine.
by infocratsweb1 / October 3, 2012 10:26 PM PDT

I think that Google is still best and widest used search engine. It provides the data that you really searched for, still if you need one then try:
1st choice Yahoo
2nd choice Bing

I have never used Metasearch so cant tell its review.

Collapse -
infocratsweb1 :I have never used Metasearch
by robb7thurston / October 4, 2012 3:46 AM PDT

From Wikipedia on Metasearch engines:

Metasearch at the Open Directory Project
Guide to Meta-Search Engines by UC Berkeley libraries with recommendation not to use them for serious research.
Meta-search: More heads better than one? Argument against Berkeley's negative recommendation

Internet search
Types

Web search engine (List)
Collaborative search engine
Metasearch engine

Tools

Local search
Vertical search
Search engine marketing
Search engine optimization
Search oriented architecture
Selection-based search
Social search
Document retrieval
Text mining
Web crawler
Multisearch
Federated search
Search aggregator
Index/Web indexing
Focused crawler
Spider trap
Robots exclusion standard
Distributed web crawling
Web archiving
Website mirroring software
Web search query
Voice search
Natural language search engine
Web query classification

Applications

Image search
Video search engine
Enterprise search
Semantic search

Protocols
and standards

Z39.50
Search/Retrieve Web Service
Search/Retrieve via URL
OpenSearch
Representational State Transfer
Website Parse Template
Wide area information server

See also

Search engine
Desktop search
Online search

Collapse -
Answer
gflash 128
by robb7thurston / October 4, 2012 12:22 PM PDT

Gordon, I took it from your question that you want privacy, no"Big Brer. Is Watching You" sorta shenanigans. The other persons answering spoke of their garden variety of search engines, none of which are really in any sense secure and private, capiche?
Correct this if I got confused,please. Anyhow, Bing, Google and Yahoo, and so on are not PRIVATE AND SECURE. PC techs never say that.
DuckDuckGo and Ixquick approach what is available in private, secure searching. Post again here is this in any sense confuses.
Best!

Collapse -
Privacy, Security, Results, "sound's about right"!
by gflash128 / October 7, 2012 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: gflash 128

Thank you for the complete and useful information!
I'm not the kinda guy who needs secrecy ( no Adult sites, etc.), but I DO NEED ACCURACY!
Now that the better known search engines are all sharing info and dropping tracking cookies, I can't get a simple relevant answer. Plus my search responses are tailored to my surfing! The best is when one search engine sends you to another search engine who sends you ultimately to ASK .com with a completely different querry.
Your answer seems just the thing, I'll be checkin' it out!
As to the Metasearch at Berkeley, what is the reasoning for the caution?
In your "Argument against Berkely's negative..." I'm not sure what the list that follows is representing?
Any "More" Help?
Thanks,
Gordon

Collapse -
(NT) DuckDuckGo is not about sharing info and cookie drops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2012 4:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
gflash128
by robb7thurston / October 7, 2012 7:18 AM PDT

I am totally subjective here. I use "Mama Meta Search" as a meta search engine. It is less known and I find it covers my needs.
What's the Best Search Engine?
Chris Sherman, June 2, 2003 6 Comments

What's the best search engine? That depends on who (or what) you ask. Here's what the search engines themselves recommend.

Whenever I'm asked to name the "best" search engine or my favorite search engine, I deliberately dissemble. Like just about everyone else these days, I use Google a lot, but I also find that using a wide variety of search tools is essential if you're serious about getting the best possible search results.

One of the best resources to help you choose the best search engine for your particular needs is Debbie Abilock's Choose the Best Search Engine, which has been around since 1996.

But what do the search engines say about each other? I tried two different queries on AlltheWeb, AltaVista, Google, Looksmart's Wisenut, Lycos, MSN Search and Teoma to find out. The queries: "best search engine," and "search engine."

I opted to run the queries without quotation marks, because I found that several search engine optimization firms had managed to get very high rankings for the phrases "best search engine placement" or "best search engine ranking." I also skipped over paid links and directory listings to the algorithmic results provided by each engine.

This test was run on Friday, May 30th. Click the links below to run the queries yourself.

The first query: best search engine. I had a dual purpose with this query. First, I wanted to see what search engines were listed in the results. Second, since there are hundreds of links pointing to Debbie Abilock's page mentioned above, I would expect that to be in the top ten, as well. Even though the page has moved, I would expect the results to contain the original or new URL for the page.

AlltheWeb: #1 result was Google. Abilock's article was #4. Several speciality search engines were also listed. Oddly, #6 was a link to Snap, the search portal that closed in early 2001.

AltaVista: No major search engines listed in the top ten. Result #1 was for a search engine submission and optimization service. Abilock's article was #6.

Google: #1 result was Google. #2 was Abilock's article. #3 was Metacrawler, #5 was AltaVista, #7 Profusion, #9 Copernic, and #10 Google UK.

Wisenut: #1 Google, #2 Abilock's article. #4 proved to be surprising: www.466453.com. Never heard of it? Me either, so I ran a whois and discovered it is a fully functional mirror of Google. #5 Dogpile, and #6 AltaVista.

MSN Search: Results are different here, because the top ten results are directory listings. #11 was Abilock's article, #12 Google, #13 Dogpile, #14 Metacrawler, #15 Copernic.

Teoma: #1 Google. Like AlltheWeb, Teoma returned Snap as #5. Abilock's article was #6. Lycos was #10.

Virtually all of the results contained links to search engine optimization firms, and it was fairly clear in a number of cases that others achieved high rankings due to clever optimization efforts.

I next tried just the words "search engine" to see what simple relevance ranking, without the addition of the adjective "best" would return.

AlltheWeb: #2 Google, #3 AltaVista, #4 Lycos, #5 Dogpile, #6 Yahoo, #10 WebCrawler.

AltaVista: #1 AltaVista, #2 Google, #4 Yahoo, #5 Search.com, #6 AlltheWeb, #7 Lycos, #8 Teoma.

Google: #1 AltaVista, #2 My Excite, #3 Google, #4 Yahoo, #5 Lycos, #6 HotBot, #7 AlltheWeb, #8 WebCrawler, and #10 the defunct Infoseek, which redirects to Disney's Go Network.

Wisenut: #3 Google, #10 AltaVista.

MSN Search: All 15 results on the first page were web directory results, rather than Inktomi served search engine results.

Teoma: #1 Yahoo, #2 Excite, #3 Looksmart, #4 WebCrawler, #5 Dogpile, #6 Lycos, #7 AltaVista, #8 Metacrawler, #9 Google, #10 Overture.

So, what's the best search engine? Even the search engines themselves can't agree. I don't think you can draw a definitive conclusion from the results of this simple test.

More importantly, I think the test illustrates a key point that I like to make often: Search engines differ from one another more than most people think. Each has a unique index of pages, and differing relevance algorithms. Because of this, you often get very different results using the same query words on different engines. If you're not finding what you're looking for, stop banging away on your "favorite" and try another engine!

Collapse -
Best Search Engines
by leonvictor2012 / October 11, 2012 3:06 PM PDT
In reply to: gflash128

Well Google is at present the no. 1 search engine prevailing in the market, but as you don't want to use Google anymore so you can go for "Bing" or "Yahoo search" as they are the second best well reknowned search engines after Google.

Collapse -
With all links included..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 22, 2012 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: gflash128
Collapse -
Answer
I like google too.
by iloveflash / October 22, 2012 12:12 AM PDT

when you search with google after logout. it can't track search history.
or use opera/slimboat in private browsing mode. ie in inprivate browsing mode. and so on.

Collapse -
iloveflash when you search/googlelogout. it can't track
by robb7thurston / October 22, 2012 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: I like google too.

Hi iloveflash;
Thanks,why don't you help me out,please? I can't figure out what this means:"when you search with google after logout. it can't track search history."
1: How do you mean after you log out? Log out of Windows? Explain.
Thanks iloveflash, I appreciate you for posting!
Best!
Robb Thurston

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.