Cameras forum

General discussion

Please suggest me best of these cameras

by ankitv13 / December 22, 2013 5:31 PM PST

hi, i am planning to buy a camera for home use. As i have used some smaller cameras before and now i am planning to buy one of these cameras: Nikon l820, fujifilm finepixs4200, lumix dmc-lz30, and cyber shot dhc h200. i am very confused.please help me with this.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please suggest me best of these cameras
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please suggest me best of these cameras
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you check our reviews?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 22, 2013 5:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Best
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 23, 2013 12:25 AM PST

If you place a lot of emphasis on picture quality I would first look at the Panasonic TZ25.
I realize you asked about the TZ30 but the TZ25 has a better lens/sensor combination.
Excellent picture quality.

Collapse -
thanks..just one more doubt..
by ankitv13 / December 27, 2013 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Best

What about nikon l820? Is tz25 better??

Collapse -
Nikon L820
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 27, 2013 6:30 AM PST

The L820 is typical for that priced camera.
It suffers from too much noise in low light.
If you only use it in bright lighting you will get good results.
It has too many pixels for that size sensor assembly.
The camera has to use noise reduction firmware and that softens the image.
Things like grass and leaves will appear as being smudged.

Read this review.
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-coolpix-l820-red/4505-6501_7-35614647.html

Collapse -
any other choice?
by ankitv13 / December 28, 2013 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Nikon L820

thanks for review about l820. please suggest any other powerful camera in same budget.

Collapse -
Some Others
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 28, 2013 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: any other choice?

Most cameras in that price range have gone to 16MP sensors and suffer from too much noise.
Look for cameras with 12MP and you will get better images.
There are only about a dozen cameras still using the 12MP sensor assembly.
Take a look at:

Canon SX280 and SX510

I noticed that all of your choices have large zooms.
A word about large zooms.
When you zoom past 10X you should use a tripod.
Even though the camera has image stabilization there is a limit to how much zoom the stabilization circuits can handle.
And when you put a camera on a tripod you should turn image stabilization off.

Collapse -
thanks a lot..
by ankitv13 / December 29, 2013 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Some Others

thanks for your concern. Yes, i was looking for a high zoom camera .As you are saying, it seems that's all about sensors. so lesser pixels camera would be better than higher. so is it good to say that nikon l320 is better than l820 performance-wise(correct me if i am wrong). Personally if you have to choose among these which one you will prefer. please help me this.
Nikon l820, nikon l320,Sony Cybershot DSC-HX9V Point & Shoot, Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20, Canon PowerShot SX260 HS, Nikon Coolpix S9300, Fujifilm FinePix S4800.

Collapse -
Say What?
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 29, 2013 6:51 AM PST
In reply to: thanks a lot..

Your statement:

"so is it good to say that nikon L320 is better than L820 performance-wise (correct me if I am wrong). "

You are wrong. They both use a 16MP sensor assembly
The L320 is a cost reduced L820. The L320 is/was made for the Black Friday sales.
Some camera makers do this with one model every year. The L320 uses a lower cost LCD screen and has lower rated video specs.

If I chose any camera in that price range I would not choose any camera with more than 12 MP.

Collapse -
thank you!!!
by ankitv13 / January 10, 2014 12:54 PM PST
In reply to: Say What?

I found your answers very helpful. Thanks for them. Please tell me some cameras to choose from. And between l820 and canon sx500 which one is better one? And If they are not worth buying, then please suggest me some good cameras.

Collapse -
Decisions
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 11, 2014 12:12 AM PST
In reply to: thank you!!!
Collapse -
not l820
by ankitv13 / January 11, 2014 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: Decisions

it is not that i am stuck on l820. I just wanted to cross check before buying it. But it seems picture quality is not that great and even low light performance is not good. Some small cameras are good enough and worth buying. So i just recovered from this nikon 820 fever.
Now please suggest me some cameras that produce rich image quality. Canon sx260 has impressed me. But sx500 is almost in the same price range.Which one should i prefer for sharp pictures and good low light performance. and is there any other camera that you will recommend? (as i am new in photography, sorry for asking some stupid questions :))

Collapse -
Other than Nikon L820
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 11, 2014 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: not l820

Since so many cameras in that price range has gone to 16MP or larger there are few with very sharp images,

The Canon SX500 now has a SX510.
That model uses a CMOS sensor instead of a CCD sensor like the SX500.
That Helps the speed and has a bit less noise.
Canon is still selling both and they cost about the same.

The Panasonic FZ200 looks like a contender.
They took the FZ150 and added a lens that does not lose light when zoomed out.
They also kept the 12MP CMOS sensor.
That will reduce noise when using the zoom.
Should come in handy for indoor sports, if you remember to turn the flash off.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_FZ200/

Collapse -
Price
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 11, 2014 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: not l820

Just noticed the price on the Panasonic FZ200.
The street price will likely run higher than $350.

..Something less expensive would be the year old Panasonic ZS15/TZ25 (USA/Europe).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

SEEING COLORS?

What do the color stripes mean on your tires?

Brian Cooley tells you why you might see various color lines on the wheels of your automobile.