TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

please specify (technical) reasons for the Vizio hate...

by shawnlin / January 22, 2007 10:28 AM PST

please specify technical reasons for the Vizio hate...

and is it hate...or disappointment?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: please specify (technical) reasons for the Vizio hate...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: please specify (technical) reasons for the Vizio hate...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) the same for Olevia or other "no-name" brands, please...
by shawnlin / January 22, 2007 10:43 AM PST
Collapse -
can't say specifically, but...
by bderou2 / January 26, 2007 10:20 PM PST

I've not really heard complaints of Vizio that much, as I don't know anyone that has bought one. However you mention the Olevia...that I can speak to, and it's not in the haters categroy. My best friend has one, and for the money, he LOVED it! So, I checked into it and compared. There are some name brands out there that don't have the specs or capabilities that his Olevia has, and the name brand cost more!

So...I checked out the Olevia myself and I got one from Newegg this week! So far, I love it! And the best part is the picture is great! Yeah, one of the new plasmas would be better, but I didn't have the room for a plasma or the budget right now. For a 32" set that I paid about $700 for...you can't beat it!

Bruce

Collapse -
Syntax Olevia
by MikeVisual / February 13, 2007 1:48 PM PST

I can only speak of the Olevia, I use the 27" with other equipment that I resell and have not had any complaints or returns of them. The picture quality is very good in either the TV mode or computer resolution. The one I would stay away from is the AStar. Only bought one but that has been enough trouble for me and my client. Service / repair has taken 2 months and the quality is still not that good. I've heard good things about the Vizio, but have been too happy with the Olevia to change, best bang for the buck.

Collapse -
It's been many years ago but can you remember?
by gkendrick / February 13, 2007 2:05 PM PST
In reply to: Syntax Olevia

I can remember working my way through the end of High School and seeing a little known "cheap" brand of tv sold in the lower end discount stores like, at that time, Zayre which is like K-Mart or WalMart in that it was a General store and their TV's were not the top of the line. Sure they had RCA but the brand that was the entry level, the cheap one, was called Curtis Mathis. Years later and millions of Dollars in advertising and Curtis Mathis went from the back shelves to the front shelves. I actually ended up purchasing a Curtis Mathis due to the then five year warranty. The set ended up lasting better than any other name branded set, for that time. Sometimes that no-name brand is just a diamond waiting to be discovered. Olevia may be that diamond in years to come.

Collapse -
If memory serves
by stanb17 / February 13, 2007 8:43 PM PST

JKendrick,

My guess is that name would be GoldStar.
Am I right?

Stan

Collapse -
Goldstar to LG
by ritpg99 / February 13, 2007 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: If memory serves

If you googld LG, you will find it is the old Goldstart brand, a low end line of products. I suspect they are trying to improve their image with the name change.
ritpg

Collapse -
Goldstar to LG, not totally true
by bscp114 / February 14, 2007 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: Goldstar to LG

I've heard the same thing, there is just enough truth to this statement that most people will take it as a fact, it is just not a total fact.

LG is avery large multi national company that produces many products including very fine LCD and Plasma televisions.

At one time they did own Goldstar as a entry level product line, but it was just a small part of their very large product line. Just like Volkswagen is part of the larger Audi/Porsche automotive line.

That does not mean Porsche is just a Volkswagen with a different name because they were embarrassed by the Volkswagen. Volkswagen is the entry level automotive product line in the company. You get what you pay for, the same as with Goldstar and the LG lines of products, they dropped the Goldstar line because it did not meet with sales expectations, they did not just change the name of the product to LG in order to fool the consumer.

From wat I've read and seen the LG televisons are just as high of quality as any of the better known lines like Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, maybe better then some of them.

Collapse -
Yeah right
by popsnie / February 14, 2007 2:25 AM PST

Next you'll tell me that Cingular changed it's name to AT&T because Cingular's reputation wss so great in North Jersey (which I would eagerly dispute).

Collapse -
Cingular
by chasncurt / February 17, 2007 11:22 AM PST
In reply to: Yeah right

Cingular was taken over by AT&T, they didn't just change names, a business deal nothing to do with name recognization

Collapse -
Cingular
by renovations / November 16, 2007 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Cingular

Monopoly laws and bad service caused the name swaps

Collapse -
Goldstar and LG-just a little history
by mark1214 / February 14, 2007 4:17 AM PST

The name LG actually came from from the original name of the company. It used to be Lucky Goldstar and used Goldstar as a brand. LG Electronics sounds better than Lucky Goldstar. A really smart move too considering the higher end image they wanted to cultivate. Might be next to impossible with the Goldstar brand.

Collapse -
VW is not part of 'larger' Audi/Porsche
by FunGuy313 / February 14, 2007 10:05 AM PST

It's vice versa...Audi is the luxury brand for VW...also Porsche is not part of the VW family..they however do have interlocking directorships ((pecular nature of German companies due to state owernership (stock owners) of many German companies))& they share technical & engineering expertise....

Collapse -
Glad someone commented on this...
by Rollbar / January 15, 2008 9:40 PM PST

Porsche and VW have joint ventures but are not the same company.

Gary

Collapse -
VW simile
by boyx46 / February 15, 2007 7:30 PM PST

This is not the complete story. You take a brand like VW. You sell it at say

Collapse -
Entry level auto
by jimcarl / February 6, 2009 3:14 AM PST

Get your facts straight. VW is not an entry level design for Porsch/Audi. In fact VW owns Audi and Lamborgini and Rolls Royce. The fact you're so far off base with your analogy i.e. Goldstar >LG dilutes the value of your entire statement, even if it is true.

Collapse -
Lucky Goldstar
by quackmeister / February 14, 2007 5:46 AM PST

A few years back two electronics companys merged to become the LG brand of electronics / appliances. aka LG (lifes Good)
Have a good one.
mspek

ps: i read the article on the net after googling the letters LG

Collapse -
Goldstar vs LG
by rochagomes / February 15, 2007 2:50 AM PST

The original name of the company is LG....that is the name the company uses in its parent land Korea. About ten years ago LG decided to stop using thier American name which is Goldstar. In that time LG has become the leader for Microwaves, Air Conditioners and is catching up to their Korea cousin SamSung for Electronics. They now are manufacturing major appliances (washer/dryer/refrigerators...see Home Depot and Best Buys.

Was it a name change to offset poorer products until Korean Manufacturering and Engineering catches up to US and Japaneese or a MOVE to stop dual marketing and manufactuering and thereby save $$...I don't believe they stated the reason.

LG has a plant outside of Huntsville Alabama....you see it a syou fly in.

Collapse -
LG Products
by brothershen / February 18, 2007 10:00 AM PST

I went to the Con Elec Show in Vegas in Jan. I can tell you honestly that LG corp put out big bucks for their show and demo. They are now into BIG full HD 1080p LCD screens. The images onscreen were excellent. There is no doubt that LG and Samsung are fighting it out in Korea. I am think my next flat screen will be a FULL HD 1080p LCD by LG.

Collapse -
GoldStar?!
by Zeppo / February 14, 2007 3:04 AM PST

"My guess is that name would be GoldStar.
Am I right?"

No, Stan. Happy

LG is the old GoldStar, and they make much better products these days - more toward the higer end. They realized making better products over "cheaper" ones would be good for business. And they are right. I own one of the mircowaves, a washer & dryer set, and an LG 17" monitior - all of which do a very good job at what they where made to do.

Collapse -
LG = Lucky-Goldstar
by ericbtx / February 14, 2007 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: GoldStar?!

LG stands for Lucky-Goldstar. Back in the 80s, they had two product brands: GoldStar for the US market, and Lucky for the domestic Korean market. They're the same company, but now they have a high-end line (LG) and a low-end line (GoldStar), both for the domestic and foreign markets. I've been told that in Korea, LG and Samsung have always been big competitors, and are considered more or less equivalent.

I used to work in a high-end home theater store, and we sold both Samsung and LG as low-cost options for our customers. I think the two brands are very similar, but they've focused on different technologies (for example, Samsung is bigger on DLP, while LG is bigger on LCD projection. Both make plasmas and LCD panels as well).

It's important to remember that a lot of the big Japanese and European brands "farm out" their manufacturing or components to other companies. When I sold Sony products, for example, I was told that Sony's Grand Wega LCD projection sets were actually made by LG, and that Sony's main line plasmas were made by Samsung. (This applied only to Sony's main line TVs - not the XBR.) I don't know if this is still true or not.

So based on all that, I don't consider any Korean-made electronics to be bargain-basement any more.

Collapse -
Vizio has worked well
by carl2005 / February 21, 2007 6:15 AM PST

I have bought the vizio a few months back. So far have been happy with the performance.

Costco, is pretty selective about the brands it carries - i have seen this over the years. They have limited stuff, but good stuff..

~TJ
http://www.homesmanual.com

Collapse -
Goldstar
by renovations / November 16, 2007 11:12 PM PST

FYI Goldstar has changed their name to protect the innocent, or to have a better reputation, they own LG (Living Good)

Collapse -
tv's
by glennkawesch / February 15, 2007 3:45 AM PST

True, very true.
Thanks,
Glenn Kawesch

Collapse -
Olevia
by jbhui / February 14, 2007 1:28 AM PST

My cousin bought the Olevia 27" Flat etc..etc... and he says its great. I've done a little bit of forum surfing about this brand and supposedly the audio quality is about the one thing you can argue/complain about.

I'll be purchasing a flat-panel tv soon and these Olevia with their prices look very tempting. Especially from the retail websites such as buy.com

Collapse -
Olevia is good
by GeekySoprano / February 14, 2007 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: Olevia

My father owns a 36" Olevia, and it's fantastic! I wouldn't know about the sound complaints, since it's hooked up to a 5.1 system. I have neither the money nor the room for such a big TV, but if could, I'd buy Olevia as well, over a name brand. Most of the time, you're just paying for the name anyway (coughSonycough)

Collapse -
Olevia 32" LDC TV - So far so good - just 2 minor issues
by tcv--2008 / February 14, 2007 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: Olevia

I just purchased an Olevia 32" LDC TV from Circuit City a couple days ago for $599. I took out the 5 year service plan for another $199 just to be safe since I'm not familiar with the brand. It was still cheaper to do that than to go with one of the name brands without a service plan. The picture is great (I adjusted it with a calibration CD that Circuit City provided) and after adjusting the audio - turned the treble down to 1/3 (the treble was way too high when I first turned it on) and the bass up to a little past half to 2/3 (somewhere in there), it now sounds great too. The only thing that I have a problem with is that I can't find a 4-digit remote control code that will work with my Comcast HD remote so I am having to use 2 remotes. If anyone has had success with this, please let me know. Oh yeah, I covered the bright blue LCD light on the front with black electrical tape so it does blind me when the set it off. Thanks, Tom

Collapse -
Sometimes you get what you pay for!
by bwicksel / February 14, 2007 8:04 AM PST

I was also attracted to the price (Target) for a 23" Olevia. The price was $399. Since I purchased it I have spent $99 on a set of powered speakers because the sound of the TV was that of a cheap clock radio. I also spent another $180 for a programmable remote because my Comcast remote did not recognize the Olevia.

Collapse -
Off Brand TV's are OK. ( Sometimes)
by dave4951 / February 14, 2007 9:34 AM PST

I just bought a Olevia 32" LCD and I am quite happy with it. I do not have the sound problems some talk about as it is very loud . The speakers in this TV are not going to be like my Energy's in my main home theater though and I do not expect them to. The picture is really quite good for the price ( $517.00 ) from Newegg. I do have a problem with the fact that their manual is on a cd and I had to print it to do setup. The remote is not good at all but it is backlit , which a lot of brand names should do. I use this in my bedroom and the only other problem I have with it is the audio outputs do not seem to work no matter what I try. I am in contact with Olevia now to see about correcting this problem. I will keep you updated on any other problems I have. Overall a good TV for the money.

Collapse -
Comcast remote works with Olevia
by jillijo44 / February 19, 2007 2:55 PM PST

I had the cable company come out to set up the hdtv and he did the remote and set everything up. I only use the olevia remote to change to a DVD and back to TV. Picture is great. Sound just so-so. I really like it alot and would not hesitate to buy another one. Mine is 42" and I paid about $1099 on sale.

Collapse -
remote code
by lhungcnet / March 1, 2007 7:38 AM PST

Please give us the code for your Olevia TV to use with Comcast remote control. I have 337H model.
Thanks,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.