Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

The CNET Lounge

General discussion

Please normalize the audio--you're killing my eardrums

by rgunther / March 13, 2009 / 7:15 PM UTC

The audio on Friday's SXSW show was so uneven--probably because you were using fixed mics while turning to look at each other when you were speaking. The result: hard to hear, so I turn it up. Then Caroline or Natalie would lean into the mic and OUCH! Tom's audio was most consistent throughout. Obviously you don't have all of the technology on the road that you have in your studio, but please run the show through a normalizer or limiter to even out the audio. I highly recommend the Levelator for stuff like this: http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator

- Richard
D.C.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please normalize the audio--you're killing my eardrums
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please normalize the audio--you're killing my eardrums
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yeah...
by raygun01 / March 14, 2009 / 8:00 AM UTC

I told everyone to not lean into the mics but once the show ws underwar, they forgot to stay consistent. It should be all or nothing, either way. So I ended up having to ride the faders the entire show which was a challenge, to say the least.

Downloaded the Levelator. I'll use that tonight if I encounter the same issue. Thanks!

Collapse -
Just tested it out and...
by raygun01 / March 14, 2009 / 8:02 AM UTC
In reply to: yeah...

<3 Levelator! Thanks so much for that suggestion! This thing is a life saver!!!

Collapse -
The Levelator rocks
by rgunther / March 14, 2009 / 10:12 AM UTC

Isn't this a great tool? I've recommended it to many of my friends who edit audio, and it's helped me a few times in the past. I'm glad you like it, Jason.

Collapse -
if it does what i think it does
by mementh / March 15, 2009 / 12:51 AM UTC
In reply to: The Levelator rocks

if it does what i think it does, please use it with *ALL* voicemails because they need more volume alot of times vs the regular show to understand it

Collapse -
Real-time or Post production?
by rgunther / March 15, 2009 / 3:30 PM UTC

From what I've seen on the videos, it looks like Jason levels the voicemail messages in real-time, rather than fixing them in post.

Collapse -
Yes...
by raygun01 / March 15, 2009 / 11:23 AM UTC
In reply to: The Levelator rocks

I mean, it appears to essentially be a smart compressor/limiter. Which is something that Audacity doesn't do very well.

But it is a brick wall limiter for sure. It's too bad you can't adjust the settings on it to get a bit mellower compression out of it.

I did the Day Two episode through it to level things out and it cranks everything up so high that you really hear other imperfections in the audio (not to mention, the audio was lifted from Ustream which wasn't set at a very high bit rate to begin with, so there's that). But at least the volume is consistently loud. haha.

Collapse -
Tho Thorry
by rgunther / March 15, 2009 / 3:32 PM UTC
In reply to: Yes...

Hmm...tho I wonder if the Levelator wath rethponthible for the over-de-ething or if that wath an artifact of the uThtream audio feed.... Wink

Collapse -
hang not had a chance to listen but
by mementh / March 15, 2009 / 4:10 PM UTC
In reply to: Tho Thorry

hang not had a chance to listen but if thats what it sounds like I need to make sure i don't listen @ work. (will be ROFLMAO and others will have issues on there calls)

Collapse -
Ething...
by raygun01 / March 15, 2009 / 9:24 PM UTC
In reply to: Tho Thorry

That'th justh becauth the Uthream encoding wath low bitrate.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon