PC Hardware forum

General discussion

"Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart....

by Gibbo123 / July 25, 2004 2:50 PM PDT

Every time I try to open C&C Generals, i get this message, and yes it is a completly legitamate Version of the game. its not Direct X, becasue i have direct X 9 runn a FX5700 on an AMD 3000+ so, power isnt the issue.

I was wondering if it could be conflicting IDE controllers or somthing like that? I have re-installed Windows XP numerous times, and i have downloaded all the patches and updates needed.

or maybe is it a Regedit thing? i dont know im sick of this problem.

Could anyone help me?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2004 3:07 PM PDT

With most AMD systesm, XP will not install proper motherboard drivers.

Tell the gritty details how you fixed that issue?

Collapse -
by Gibbo123 / July 26, 2004 10:42 AM PDT

So what your saying is that i have the wrong divers installed for my motherboard?

Collapse -
Sort of.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2004 10:51 AM PDT

I did write that Microsoft didn't program XP to do it. Can you tell how you fixed it?

Collapse -
Re: Sort of.
by Gibbo123 / July 26, 2004 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Sort of.

Fixed what ? I have not fixed anything from the original problem that i posted in the first post....sorry if im not making much sense, but you are not making much to me....

Collapse -
Re: Sort of.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 26, 2004 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Sort of.

I wrote "With most AMD systesm, XP will not install proper motherboard drivers"

YOU get to do this. Microsoft doesn't do this for you.

Some expected better of this new OS.

Collapse -
by jconner / July 26, 2004 11:41 PM PDT

Did this ever work or did it stop working after you re-installed XP? I believe that is waht is being asked.
If it stopped working after you re-installed XP, then unless it was a recover disk, you probably did not get the latest motherboard drivers, unless you re-installed those as well and it may not be recognizing that functionality in your drive.

If it has been working since you re-installed XP, then look to the drive or something associated with the drive as the culprit (e.g. IDE port, cable, heat etc.).

Collapse -
C&C Generals
by gpva2k4 / July 30, 2004 4:56 AM PDT

I don't have any of the C&C series, but

Make sure you have the latest update for the game and make sure it's compatible with windows xp.

Collapse -
Re: C&C Generals works with XP
by Adi / August 5, 2004 9:24 PM PDT
In reply to: C&C Generals

Just to let you know, C&C Generals v1.0 and upwards definately works with Windows XP, so that is not the problem.

I bought a computer with an AMD motherboard and Windows XP installed, and have not had any problems with motherboard drivers so I assume that HP sorted all that out, as I would expect from a new computer. If XP has been reinstalled however this could be what is messing up.

Generals is a very resource intensive game, and as thus you want to ensure that everything is fully up to date so that everything works OK. Make sure you have the latest Service Pack for Windows XP, all your drivers are up to date, especially motherboard drivers, CD drive drivers, graphics card drivers and sound card drivers.

The problem itself is caused by the protection EA Games puts on the CD to prevent it being copied. If the disk is not detected to be a real copy, then the error message you are encountering will be displayed. (Perhaps this might be caused by an old CD drive or drivers? This may be the reason that the copy protection cannot detect the CD as being real.) If you have a legit copy of Generals though I see no reason why this would be displayed. Try reinstalling Generals after you are sure all the drivers etc. are up to spec, and maybe you could contact EA Games for help?

The only other reasons I can conceive for your problems is any conflicting software. A software firewall could be causing problems, I use ZoneAlarm and it asks you if you want to let game.dat access the internet, allow it.

If nothing works, go back to the shop and ask for a replacement disk.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Access the internet to do what??
by Bocephvs / December 3, 2007 8:30 PM PST

you posted...

"...A software firewall could be causing problems, I use ZoneAlarm and it asks you if you want to let game.dat access the internet, allow it."

Allow it to access the internet to do what?? Why does denying internet access crash the program?

Collapse -
Check for updates, maybe?
by Kees Bakker / December 3, 2007 8:39 PM PST

And you've got to ask the programmer why he wrote it to crash if he doesn't get it. We don't know.

Collapse -
Do you have more than 1 optical drive, and
by Brandon Eng / August 6, 2004 5:54 AM PDT

is the problem drive the drive you used to install the game? I have 2 optical drives, and normally install from the D drive. Sometimes, if I accidently put the disk in the other drive (a DVD burner), the game doesn't auto-start- I don't get the error message you get, however. I think (guessing here) something in the registry says, "you installed me from here, so you should play from here."

Aside from that, as I believe was suggested to you, remove ALL optical drives from device manager, but do it from within safe-mode, reboot, and pray. Have you checked the jumpers, BIOS?

And lastly, I don't think you answered Bob's question- did you install the motherboard drivers? Look for updates for mobo drivers from maker's website? Is your disk damaged, scratched? If so, possibly a cleaning will help, and Bob's suggestion of getting an optical drive cleaner may help. Oh, I just remembered somethin when I had a drive that wouldn't respond- I got a flashlight and took a peek inside; there was some paper from a custom disk I made with a stick on label. Apparently some of the paper shredded off, I used plastic tweezers to pull the paper out. Problem solved.

Collapse -
by ratboy2k / September 16, 2004 6:33 PM PDT

I just now fiqured out the problem I was having after
3 days and reformatting my HD with no luck.
If you still have a problem let me know if:

You have are using Nforce Motherboard Drivers.

I have a Gigabyte MB and when I downloaded and installed the new drivers, in the middle of the process it will ask me if I want to install a
different driver. I kept saying yes. But I read the fine print and found out that I should not have.
Reinstalled the drivers again, saying no this time, and solved the problem.
Hope this helps.

Nforce driver

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.