to the external USB HDD.
Time Machine will not backup to any device that is not connected directly to the Mac that is backing up, OR, is a NAS type device.
As for the rest of it, you already have your network.
The thing is, that i am homebound receiving palliative care until i die, or until Mother Nature heals me up, and sends me home. Either way, being homebound produces a giant need for distraction. I am a researcher. Research is destraction. And that means computers, and computers means a network. I think i have everything i need to establish a network, but at this point while people were trying to kill me, they managed to mess up that part of my brain.
Back in the day, I was an excellent electromics tech. However, a TBI, has seriously eroded my ability to sequence. So now what used to a thing as simple as watching a good show on TV, is now beyond my ability to even picture in my mind.
So, now i must ask for help. Now i ask for a kindness from strangers. The thing i need to do is to join myseveral devices into a small network in my home..... I KNOW, MY ARTWORK VERY BAD, But if you ealize the items are numbered, just look at the numbered list below...
1. Coax from COX enters my house and goes to my old Motorola cable modem.
2. Ethernet leaves modem and enters Linksys wireless router (excellent piece of equipment.). Ethernet leaves wireless router, and enters Dell esktop. The signal also leaves the router via wireless. By wireless route, the signal also converses with both Macbook Pros, as well as Roku device
3. DESKTOP. Desktop is Dell optoma 320, Intel rrocessor, using 2 Gb ram. the best feature of this compoter is the INTEL 240GB SSD. WHEN I DECIDED TO UPDATE THIS OLD COMPUTER, the 80G HDD was 97% full. thae computer was very slow and would rarely go ove an hour without locking up. I WAS SHORT ON TIME, SO CLEANED IT UP JUST A BIT.
I INTENDED TO DOUBLE THE RAM, BUT THE DAMN DELL, ONLY HAD TWO SLOTS. **** DELL.. ANYWAY... I USED THE SOFTWARE WHICH WAS INCLUSED, AND EASY AS PIE, IT WAS DONE.
The first two boots were a bit slow, because it had to do a lot of remapitg, etc THEN CAME THE THIRD BOOT. WOW, IT WAS A SCREAMER..
4. & 5. are both old Macbook pros. Model #1.1. One has bad keyboard. they both have 2GHz intel Core Duo with 2GB Ram. they both connect to router via wireless.
6, 1TB USB External HDD. Currently split into three partitions.
7. Samsong mono USB Laser printer. It is connected to the PC.
The printer, PC, mondem, router, and macbook pro with bad keyboard are all in bedroom.
The remaining macbook pro with GOOD keyboard, is in livingroom next to my hospital bed. It is my primary I/O device. It also is the one that i want to take with me whenever i go to a nhospital. Therefore, i want it to mirror the one i leave home and in the network.. Both Mackbook Pros are running Snow Leopard 10. 6.8
also.... Currently my woman has an ipod which syncs to her itunes on her pc. But in a few short weeks, she will have an IPhone 5 which syncs to that PC.
I would like to use the external HDD to backup all three computers. The 2 macbooks backing up through each of their Time Machines using one partition each, , while the PC uses the third partitiopn of the 1T external HDD, using some windows backup software.
When i think about the system, it seems so simple, but because of my TBI, it gets all jumbled wheneveri try to put it on paper.
OH WELL, I GUESS THAT IS WHAT I SHOULD HAVE EXPECTED WHEN I DECIDED TO KEEP MY HEAD NEAR THEIR IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICE EH?
PLEASE TRY TO DRAW IT OUT FOR ME. I EXPECT I WILL BE HOMEBOUND IN HOSPICE FOR A WHILE. AND HAVING A WORKING NETWORK MAKES THESES DAYS FAR BETTER.
I hope that even if you cannot help with my entire system, you can at least advise with segments familiar to you.