Windows 7 forum

General discussion

please help windows boot problem.

by StormCalamity / December 16, 2012 11:47 AM PST

Ok so this problem started on Saturday. I was doing work on Friday my computer worked fine that night. then i turned on my computer Saturday morning and it was giving me a problem. The problem being when i got into the password screen my keyboard and mouse would not work no matter what. It works just fine in the bios but will not work once windows boots up. Will upload video explaining my problem when youtube stops screwing up.

System Specs:
Dell Studio xps 9100
Radeon HD 6870
9GB DDR3 Ram
intel i7
4.5tb
525w Power Supply

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: please help windows boot problem.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: please help windows boot problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds Like You're Using USB Mouse & Keyboard?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 2:16 AM PST

If yes, then try switching the USB plug to a different jack in the back of the computer..

Tried changing the batteries on the mouse and keyboard?

If that doesn't help, have you recently changed a setting in the BIOS regarding the USB "Legacy Support". It can frequently make a difference if you disable such.. Make sure it's enabled there.

Of course, using a PS2 mouse and keyboard should stop the problem you're seeing...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Its not a usb problem.
by StormCalamity / December 17, 2012 4:58 AM PST

Im not having any problems with usb or battery. the mouse and keyboard i have are WIRED usb. and i tested it on another computer and the mouse and keyboard work just fine. i also tested a different mouse and keyboard on my pc and still no luck. it doesn't seem to be any hardware problems as far as i know.
And my pc is newer so it doesn't have a PS2 slot.
As far as i think its a software problem with windows or a virus. Im gonna check on the usb legacy thing now.

Collapse -
I can't rule it out yet. Here's a simple test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: Its not a usb problem.

Be sure the keyboard works to get to the bios/setup screen. That's it.

We know that that old Logitech "driver" could cause this issue. A simple test is to boot SAFE MODE and the keyboard works since the driver is not loaded in safe mode. Also we can use System Restore in SAFE MODE to kill that off.

So a few checks for you to tell the forum the results can help.
Bob

Collapse -
I already tried safe mode.
by StormCalamity / December 17, 2012 8:13 AM PST

I tried safe mode. i tried system restore but i cannot restore because there is no image to boot from. my keyboards are new and not logitech. My keyboard and mouse works just fine but it seems like once windows boot they go dead.

Collapse -
System Restore does not use images.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 9:12 AM PST

Maybe there's a clue there. There is an old issue with an old logitech driver and recovery can be too hard for many. That's why we head to system restore but the word image is not one I see when I use system restore.

Keep writing.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.