TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Please help! Transfer from hard drive of failing DIRECTV DVR

by rjnaphc7 / October 14, 2009 3:58 AM PDT

I have been told that my hard drive is failing on my DIRECTV HD-DVR HR20-700. I have a show recorded on my DVR with my daughter singing a solo, and I desperately want to save it. The DVR is just beginning to shows small signs of failure so the show will still play on my television.

How can I save my daughter's show? I don't care if I have to buy equipment. Anything. Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help! Transfer from hard drive of failing DIRECTV DVR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help! Transfer from hard drive of failing DIRECTV DVR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the old fashioned way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 6:06 AM PDT

Connect it to some DVD or VHS recorder with old fashioned yellow, red and white RCA cables and hope it can record it.

Collapse -
My thoughts . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 14, 2009 10:41 PM PDT

Pull the hard drive and use an external USB case to connect it to your PC. Copy the file to the PC.

Collapse -
Transferring Programs from DIRECTV DVRs HR20 HR21 HR22 HR23
by munart / November 3, 2009 2:00 AM PST

DIRECTV records its encrypted program content directly to its DVRs. The content can only be decoded and played back from the actual hard drive and the actual DVR where it was originally recorded. If you were to connect your hard drive to a PC and copy the data (or mirror the drive), the programs would display a message along the lines of "content not authorized" when you attempt to play them from the new drive. There is a solution that would allow you to copy your HD or standard definition programs to your PCs hard drive. You could then then watch the programs on your PC or burn them to DVD. HD programs can actually be burned in HD to inexpensive standard DVDs that will play back in HD on a BluRay player. If you don't have a BluRay player, you could burn DVDs for playback in a standard DVD player. You can also create files from your DIRECTV DVR programs that will play back on your iPod, iPhone, XBox 360 or PlayStation 3. We offer this solution on my company's website. However, I am a new poster in the CNET Forum and am not certain if it is permissable to post additional company website information here.

Collapse -
encrypted dvr issue
by mtroger / June 2, 2010 7:23 PM PDT

hi, I am interested in that solution, I have the same issue, copyrighted content cant be captured by HD TV tuner on my PC... I could capture analog signal, but that is not HD... in the worst case I will use screen-capture during playback

Collapse -
transfering tivo files
by larrylife / July 30, 2010 1:03 PM PDT

What is your company website

Collapse -
Company Website info
by jackce / September 24, 2010 1:15 PM PDT

If you are not allowed to put your companie's web address here, can you email it to my email address please?

Thank You

Collapse -
Transfer from DirecTV to computer in high definition
by davidwess / October 10, 2010 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Company Website info

This thread seems to have ended - were there any updates? What was the site that was requested? I could use the same information.

Collapse -
by cptjaci / February 4, 2011 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: Company Website info

Did you ever get that website address? Please post for me!

Collapse -
website address
by tannenba / December 17, 2010 1:45 AM PST

I would like the website address also: jtannenba-at-yahoo-dot-com

Thank you,

Collapse -
DVR content transfer
by pnagle / December 20, 2010 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: website address

Directv is getting ready to release software that will allow customers that currently use "Whole Home DVR", also known as "MRV" multi room viewing, to use their network connected PC to record/ reformat for mobile devices. this reformat software will also be able to save the file to DivX which could be used to burn DVDs on a regular DVD burner in a PC. The software push is scheduled for early Jan. 2011.

Collapse -
DVR content transfer
by jackce / December 21, 2010 3:22 PM PST
In reply to: DVR content transfer

Hi "pnagle", can I assume that you don't have to be using the MRV feature to enable this software to make it possible to save recorded HD shows to your networked PCs hard drive? My HR22-100 HD DVR is connected to my network, but I do not ustilize the MRV feature.

Collapse -
DVR Content transfer
by iceweasel_14 / December 30, 2010 12:18 PM PST

Can anyone provide more information on "moving" content? I've got a HD21-700 which has bit the dust, apparently bad sectors mhdd and other tools can't fix the problems.
From what you all are saying it sounds like the disk filesystem is one that would be reconized by windows? I find that odd, but with the latest boxes suppporting the file streaming maybe not...

I know the drive can be accessed, but there are enough problem where the drive will bail out of the dvr tests with error codes of 70 or 71 on the surface test. Once the drive errors out with these errors it's a whole new restart before being able to do anything else.

mhdd is currently working through a sector scan, but the remap attempts have been failing with ABRT errors, and I'm not yet sure how to get around these. (they're acutally hanging mhdd which isn't good.)

I'd like to be able to get the drive up to be able to see what's on the system before sending it back (the replacement HR21-100 arrived yesterday and I need to get the old one back soon, ie before any software update) If I can get the system back I can burn DVDs of anything important, but at this point I can't do anything.

Thanks for any advice on this!

Collapse -
I don't think the makers support this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2010 12:44 PM PST
In reply to: DVR Content transfer

But you can try calling directtv and see if they provide any support for this. All the DVRs I'm involved with (which are for CCTV use) do not use standard file systems so only the makers (us or others) can decode what's on the drives. And such drives are locked to the board serial numbers for consumer content to prevent leaking pay per view content.

Collapse -
Directv Nomad
by Offtoplay / August 17, 2012 5:27 PM PDT

Is this the reformat software/hardware you speak about?
What format does the Nomad format programs in when they are downloaded to the pc?

Collapse -
Transferring programs
by cptjaci / February 4, 2011 11:21 AM PST

Is this posted somewhere on CNET? Or can I get your company's website? Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) Need help with getting movies off the DVR modle hr-22
by crash052963 / June 26, 2011 5:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) No address 4 help or info of where on cnet to get this help?
by crash052963 / June 26, 2011 11:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just so we're clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2011 4:41 AM PDT

These devices are designed to thwart such movements. The usual answers are in this discussion. Sorry if the truth about it was not relayed so bluntly.

Collapse -
I'm Listening
by glaczy1 / June 30, 2011 8:06 AM PDT

OK I;ve not heard anybody do this but I'm interested in what you have to say. I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.