TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Please help: Pioneer pdp-5060 vs pdp-505mx (pro505mx)

by pahrumptom / April 6, 2006 8:05 AM PDT

I recently purchased a Pioneer 50" pdp-5060 from one of the vendors listed on cnet. After I purchased the tv a rep from the company called and offered to substitute the industrial model ( which I now know to be the 505mx) for the 5060 since I did not need a stand or speakers. He claimed it was the same television, but with a higher contrast and better brightness. I agreed, but I am now unsure if I am getting hosed. I'm having trouble finding information on the 505mx. Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help: Pioneer pdp-5060 vs pdp-505mx (pro505mx)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help: Pioneer pdp-5060 vs pdp-505mx (pro505mx)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pioneer 5050mx vs 5060
by bookwormtracey / April 9, 2006 1:44 AM PDT

Hi,

I don't believe you're getting taken for a ride. It's quite possible the profit margin is greater for the 505mx than the 5060, but I do believe the 505mx has a few more bells and wistles than the 5060. I emailed Pioneer about the 505mx and to paraphrase, they said that they were going to ship the 505 to the U.S. to sell in retail stores, but decided not to. These are mostly shipped to retail stores in South America. Now, they were made available to online retailers, just not your Ciruit City and you Best Buy stores. The gal that emailed me from Pioneer wasn't sure why they didn't ship to the major retailors in the U.S. I'm making a guess that the 505mx is very close to the Elite Plasma line. The Elite comes equipped with this ISF C3 technology that the 5060 does not possess, but the 505mx does. Somehow, and I'm not sure how, but the plasmas with this Isf C3 tech can be tuned more precisely to your home environment using a computer and some special lenses. There's a retail store near me called Tweeter and they offer the service for $100 bucks. I beleive Best Buy has their Geeks to do the same thing, also for a price. Now, I understand the glass on the Elite series is thinner and less reflective than the 5060 glass and that the 505 has the same glass front as the more expensive Elite line.
The 5060 has a box that everything can plug into, the 505 does not, but who needs it if you're getting a High Def box from your cable company. Everything can plug into that. If you're using Dish, that may be a different story. The 505 does not come with speakers, but that's not a big deal if you're using a surround sound system, who needs the pioneer speakers????
There is a warranty issure with the 5060. If the store you're buying from is not a "authorized" Pioneer dealer, then Pioneer does not offer the one year warranty and you have to get one from the vendor. If the store or internet company is a dealer, than no problem with the first year warranty. I understand Pioneer stands by the one year warranty with the 505mx because it doesn't compete with the retail stores, which really is Pioneer's bread and butter and they try to protect their big retailers with the warranty threat.
So that's pretty much what I know, I'm not a internet saleman or techy guy, but I did recently purchase the 505mx and I should receive it next friday. Let's face it, the internet guys are slick salespeople, but if you look up the company's feedback, go with one that has a high customer satisfaction rating. I think you're always protected if you pay by credit card because the credit card companies back the consumer when there are disputes. I bought mine from pcvideoonline.com and their feedback was very positive. I wasn't sold any extended warranty stuff and they didn't push it like some other ones do.
Hope that was helpful. Let me know how yours works out.
Regards,

Steve

Collapse -
5060 is newer technology
by itchief / April 10, 2006 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Pioneer 5050mx vs 5060

Please check the specs on Pioneer's website before accepting the swap, particularily if it's for the same money. I "believe" that the 505 is "last years" panel and the 5060 is Pioneer's latest. Pioneer hasn't released the next gen industrial panels in the USA yet. The specs on the 5060 are certainly better - Brightness @ 1100 Cd/m and contrast at 4000:1. I'm waiting for the Panny 600, but the 5060 would certainly do if not for the $$$.

Cheers, Jon

Collapse -
Pioneer Elite PRO1130HD Vs. 5060
by bobmatar / April 10, 2006 11:43 PM PDT

Can anyone tell me if there is any significant difference between the 1130 and the 5060?

Collapse -
1130 vs. 5060
by bookwormtracey / April 11, 2006 7:53 AM PDT

The 1130 has a few extra bells and whistles, but if you look at the picture quality of the 5060, which you can see at Best Buy (they call it the 5061), you may not be able to tell the difference. If money is no object, get the 1130 because the picture can be customized using some computer program that you can pay someone to do for about $100. The 5060 does not have that capability. Here's what they say about the 1130: Elite?s ISF C3 capibility allows your plasma panel to be optimized for the specific room environment it?s in. As an optional service available through your Elite dealer, a professional calibrator can adjust your Elite plasma panel using ISF?s exclusive C3 adjustment procedure, for optimum viewing in all kinds of viewing conditions.

The 5060 can't be callibrated in the same manner. Big deal, it's an amazing picture.

Good luck

Collapse -
Did you received the 505mx?
by raemax / April 17, 2006 11:32 AM PDT

I would like to know if you received the PIONEER 505mx. What can you tell us about the model?

Collapse -
PDP 505MX
by willyjames / April 17, 2006 3:33 PM PDT

My sister recieved hers last week. Its installed and connected to surround. Its awesome. I have spent a lot of time shopping plasmas. This is as good as it gets. Tons of input/outputs, auto adjust data sources and auto resizes the screen depending on the signal, can be viewed from any angle in the room (and its a big room with angles), much brighter picture than most and richest HD color yet. Specs are almost identical to PDP 505CMX. The only differences I saw were the 10,000.1 MX vs 4,000.1 CMX contrast ratio, more in&out connectors on the MX and the auto screen sizing feature on the MX. She picked up one of the new HD DVD machines from Best Buy and its like being at the live filming. I have a tracking number on my order and its scheduled to arive next Tuesday (via SEKO Worldwide). We both paid under $3K with shipping. I just had to order mine after seeing her's. Purchased from Pricemad (Steve Ext 217). See my earlier posting. I'll post again next week to confirm receipt of mine.

Collapse -
PDP 505MX vs Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK
by tg4fsi / May 19, 2006 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: PDP 505MX

I am putting together a home theater for a large living room space and am trying to decide between the two above. Both are about $3K at Costco. Anyone have thoughts regarding similarities, differences, etc. I will likely be feeding it signals from satellite TV, DVD, and occasionally my laptop. Which would be the better plasma for me? Thanks.

Collapse -
Panasonic Vrs Pioneer
by willyjames / May 19, 2006 12:06 PM PDT

I would go with the pioneer for overall picture quality especially if you are hooking up to a service. I believe all providers provide component video lines out. I have charter cable and their HD boxes support DVI-D, component, composite and S-video all of which are found on the 505MX. I am still amazed by the picture quality every time I turn it on. Pioneer is #1 and the 505MX has great performance. Good luck.

Collapse -
pioneer 505mx
by bookwormtracey / April 18, 2006 3:23 AM PDT

It's awesome! The picture is better than I expected. If you're going to get one, just make sure you have a surround sound system because it doesn't come with speakers. I have a bose lifestyle system and everything goes through that. Simply fantastic. Hope that helps.
Regards,

Steve

Collapse -
I am still worried about it.
by Pebri10 / April 19, 2006 10:07 AM PDT

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your convincing explanation about 505MX. But I am still doubtful about its autheniticity. I am not finding any brochures or correct specs about 505MX anywhere on the internet. Other than yours, I did not find a single review about it anywhere else. I ordered for 505MX(from PriceMAD.com) instead of Elite 1130HD, because the salesman told me that 1130HD's warranty is not supported by the Pioneer and guided me to go for 505MX. They told me that 505MX is much better and covered by manufacturers one year warranty. I also bought three years extended warranty for $199/-. The total was $4597/-that includes shipping and extended warranty.
Today I called Pioneer electronics and enquired about the product information or brochures. To my wonder they say that they havent seen that model and they dont have any knowledge about it. And they could not give manufacturer's warranty for the products bought from the unauthorized dealers on the internet. This really shook me and am very much afraid. I am yet to receive my shipping. expecting it on 24th April. Going to get it installed by the next weekend. I feel that I have unnecessarily taken a big risk by buying that.

Thanks,

Rex

Collapse -
Pioneer 505MX
by bobmatar / April 19, 2006 11:27 AM PDT

I had also ordered the Pioneer 1130 HD from PriceMad.com. They also talked me out of it and sold me the 505MX. Saying that since I have the speakers in the walls (5.1) the 505MX is the exact TV as the Elite1130HD. They also told me that pioneer would not honor the warranty from an online store. However, they said the 505MX has a 1 year manufacturer warranty.
Also they charged me $3499.00 for the TV and I bought an additional 3 year warranty for $399.00. Sounds as if they are playing games with the price of the warranties. I am also concerned as to why they are pushing the 505MX. I went to a retail store and they told me that the 1130 is so hot that the cant produce enough of them. If there is anyone in the know it would be nice if they pass on the information. I still have not received the monitor yet. Also I was told that it comes with a pro kit which includes two Video cards??????. The only reason I ordered from Pricemad was because of the good reviews it had on line.

Collapse -
PRO505MX -
by ernie278 / April 22, 2006 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Pioneer 505MX

I had ordered the PDP5060 from PriceMad.com. They also talked me out of it and sold me the 505MX. Now I changed my mind and just e-mail to them said that I want the PDP5060. Like you said I have not found any info. about the 505MX. I believe the 5060 is good for me because it simple and easy to set up. I just want to thank PriceMad for the good price that they offer for on line buyers. And it appears that they have good customer service. I hope that I will receive my pdp5060 soon. Good Luck

Collapse -
Worried PDP 505MX
by willyjames / April 19, 2006 11:52 AM PDT

Please cut and paste

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/press/release/detail/0,,2076_4313_264837770,00.html

into your browser.

You will see the proof right from Pioneer web site. When did you order? When is it scheduled to arrive? My sister's and mine both shipped via Seko Worldwide. Mine is scheduled to be delivered this coming Monday. My sister's arrived last week and is all hooked up and its amazing. I know it will line up to the Elite's performance as I have seen both now. I'm a technology nut and have read up on all of the specs. The 505MX ships with a PDP-505MX owner's manual and its labled on the side of the Pioneer box as well as the actual monitor (PDP-505MX). It does exist. It is not a copy or cheap imitation.

I have seen it and hope mine arrives like hers did (mint condition and brand new). I too bought the extended MACK warranty and checked them out on the web. I believe they are real as many of the on line sellers offer Mack warranties. The "Industrial Display Group of Pioneer Electronics USA" will warrant the PDP-505MX for one year. The 505MX was produced in limited quanties and was replaced by the 505CMX. The 505MX has many enhancements over the 505CMX (i.e., higher resolution, many more input terminals, accelerated video processor, etc.)

The reason I am writing this is that I was super worried about my sister's purchase for the very same reasons you mention here. When I saw it I liked hers so much I ordered one. We purchased from Pricemad as well. I'll follow-up with another post next week when mine arrives.

How long has it been since you ordered? Do you have a tracking number? Have you tried to cancel your order? I hope we both get the same TV as my sister. I am still a little nervous until it arrives but I do know that PDP 505MX exists so that is worth something.

Good luck and keep the faith.

Kevin

Collapse -
PDP 505 MX
by kramer70 / May 4, 2006 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Worried PDP 505MX

I have just received a plasma monitor that I ordered as a Pioneer Pro 505MX I purchased from Steve at Pricemad.com. He gave me all of the "info" as the the differences between the PDP 505MX and the Pro kit version the Pro 505MX. But when I received the unit it is in a PDP 505 MX Box is marked as a PDP 505MX and eventhing about it does not distinguish it as having the "two video cards that are part of the 'Pro Kit'". How do you distinguish the two or is this a rip off scheme? Larry

Collapse -
??? pro 505mx or pdp 505mx from Pricemad
by Mark_Allbright / May 20, 2006 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: PDP 505 MX

I see there must be a problem and that I am caught up in it too. I too was contacted after trying to purchase a Nec 50xr5a and they showed me a better deal with the pioneer. I wanted to see it on there web site and i asked for their stock # and Jeff gave me #5954 but without speakers he said, 'its the same thing. He went on about all about what the Pro model has, good deal order i said, but, then i read all this on here. Well, as far as their web site is concerned they dont have a PDP 505MX model to show or sell only the PRO 505MX's to shwo and sell but at totally diferent prices that we r purchasing them at, like from 5 to 6 thousand dollars. So, what gives, all u people out there are receiving the PDP 505s? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Collapse -
Pricemad??
by Mark_Allbright / May 20, 2006 5:02 AM PDT

I forgot to add, how can they be selling a porduct that everyone is reiceiving that they dont even have to show on thier web site?

Collapse -
PDP505MX
by bobmatar / May 21, 2006 12:39 AM PDT

I contacted Pioneer directly and they told me that there is no such thing as a PRO Kit which would make this one like their Elite Models. Its all BS from the Pricemad salesmen.

Collapse -
Pro 505mx pro kit is out there?
by Mark_Allbright / May 21, 2006 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: PDP505MX

i went to google and typed in "Pro505mx Pro kit" and a site with a pic of the display and a write up was all there. www.telesistema.com. Apparently this is a industrial model. Now if this is a BS display, where are they getting the pic and the spec sheet from? I beleive that there is something very fishy going on but, again how can the y be showing items;#5673 and #5954 and telling you that that is the display but just without speakers and the people are receiving the "PDP505mx", and Pricemad does "not even" show this model on there web site? Scam??? I think so but, we will see. I am not done with them yet. How can they think that they can get away with something like this and think that will not be getting into Big trouble is beyond me.

Collapse -
PRD505MX vs. PRO505MX from Pricemad
by Mark_Allbright / May 21, 2006 9:32 AM PDT

I got off the phone with them, again. I am assured now that there is no mix up just some confussion from Pioneer, because Pioneer doesnt want this PDP model sold in USA, only in Latin America. It is a better and lesser amount than their Elite models. That is all there is to it. So only a few sellers that will sell this PDP model including Costco, just no Pioneer warranty. Check out Costco they have a complete description of the PDP. You are getting a better display than the CMX models. Over 540 billion colors, ACE IV, and a 13 bit processor, now come on. They even threw in their 3 yr. MACK warranty no charge. Just do your own research and you will see the PDP from Pricemad and Costco a good display to own for the price. The PRO comes with speakers and stand for more money.

Collapse -
PDP-505MX From Costco
by willyjames / May 21, 2006 1:20 PM PDT

First let me say that you are absolutely correct. The PDP-505MX is an awesome bargain. I do not believe it compares to the Elite though. Case in point, the specs on both Costco and Pricemad web sites are different from the 505MX owner's manual which I have. The actual specs, from the owner's manual, are much less but still an awesome bargain none the less. I would hate for folks to believe what they are reading from Costco and Pricemad. Both are false (overstated). I will email you the specs if you want to compare (stlrammer@netscape.net). Regarding the MACK three year warranty, it is invalid when you receive it (it requires a lead 12 month manufacturer's warranty to validate it and you do not have any warranty with the 505MX (the only real downside if you by from Pricemad). You can return your defective 505MX to Costco months after purchase. I think the bottom line here is you get what you pay for. Be a fully informed shopper. If you are comfortable with spending $3,500 (with shipping and taxes) and to have no warranty or recourse then this is the HD display for you. I took the risk because I believed I had a MACK warranty. Yea right (invalidated). If you like big risk, buy from Pricemad. If you like medium to low risk buy from Costco.

Collapse -
PDP-505CMX from BeyondPlasma.com
by tony.harding / May 22, 2006 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: PDP-505MX From Costco

I would just like to tell everyone that I finally received a FULL refund back from PriceMad. They reluctantly canceled my order after I filed a dispute with my credit card company and told PriceMad I would NOT accept the delivery.

I went onto Pioneer's website and found a REAL authorized dealer and picked up the PDP-505CMX with an RCA PDA-5004 video card, received my TV in less than a week and received a FIVE year warranty, all for a total of $3559, but I did not need a stand or speakers, and that was with shipping. We have our TV hooked up and it works beautifully. My salesman was wonderful. If anyone is still in the market for an HDTV, I recommend BeyondPlasma.com, or Bill, my salesman, at 888-740-8077, ext. 110. They are an authorized Pioneer dealer, so they do not give you the run-around and are very knowledgeable about their products and don't have any b.s. high pressure sales tactics like some of these unauthorized online dealers.

P.S. On eBay, you can get some really good deals on the HDMI to DVI-D cords by Monster. You will save at least 50% than if you bought in the store.

Collapse -
refund
by bigpun334 / May 22, 2006 2:41 AM PDT

they gave me $500 back on my purchase after i pitched a fit. so, they are a bit shady, but were willing to work with me. Alfredo @ pricemad was a man of his word. They at pricemad are aware that this discussion is going on @ cnet, i hope this will help others out with purchases and refunds.

Collapse -
Purchase from Pricemad
by Mark_Allbright / May 22, 2006 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: refund

I have just received confirmation from Pricemad and the order states: "Pioneer Pro505mx Pro Kit 50 inch WXGA Plasma." Now if this is any different than anyonelses order that is being shipped and received from them then I guess this could be the missunderstanding. As I have stated before I have been on the phone with them a number of times since Friday. My main concern is getting what is advertised in the specs ; 10000 contrast, over 500 billion colors, the ACE IV, 13 bit processor, just to name a few that comes with only the PRO KIT

Collapse -
Specs
by Mark_Allbright / May 22, 2006 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: PDP-505MX From Costco

Yes please send specs I am unable to get to you via email??? msteamer@hotmail.com

Collapse -
505 mx Pro Kit ?????????
by PECONET / May 25, 2006 5:28 AM PDT

I was promised the pro kit by Pricemad instead I recieved 505 mx . Is this thing even an HDTV. Manuel says nothing. How these guys get away with this I dont know.I have a projection hd tv and the picture is just as good.

Collapse -
Yes PDP-505MX is true HDTV
by willyjames / May 25, 2006 9:41 AM PDT

Yes it is HDTV. Look on page 23 and 24 of the manual to see the wide range of HD signals that are supported. Also, your screen displays the HD resolution setting you get when you reset the line feed from 3 to 5 or any other combination. When HD signal is connected, on line 5 I get an on screen display status of 720P and on line 3 I get a reading of 1280X768. If you have this set hooked up to an HD signal you will see a huge difference in the picture quality between projection HD and this pioneer plasma. I used the component cables (red/green/blue) to connect to get the best image (line 5). I also used the DVI-D connector (line 3) but prefer the results from the component lines. Pricemad has made good on my deal and sent the MACK 3 yr in home warranty. I did have to follow up a couple of times to get the warranty though.

Collapse -
Mack Policy
by bobmatar / May 25, 2006 12:53 PM PDT

Check with MACK to see if they will insure the TV if you dont have the first year manufacturer warranty. If brought through pricemad you dont have the the first year manufacturer warranty.
My first set from pricemad came damaged, they finally picked it up three weeks later. They were sending me a replacement but I refused delivery. I did not want to deal with the shady characters there anymore.
I purchased the 505CMX w/Video card from Beyondplasma.com. They are an internet authorized Pioneer dealer. They were great. I also got a VAC 5 year total coverage"Mirror Warranty" for $275. It covers all in home service for 5 yrs. I feel better knowing that if anything goes wrong with the set one or two years down the road Pioneer will stand behind their product.

Collapse -
Mack Policy and Pricemad
by Mark_Allbright / May 30, 2006 5:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Mack Policy

Well, I must say this then, You should have called MACK and checked yourself. I Did, and they said they handel all of Pricemads merchandise, including Pioneer, even though they are not an authorized dealer. I believe that is because they are selling the PDP 505MX model, which is not suppose to be sold in the USA (Its All About The Money). Anyway, MACK said, that Pricemad covers the first 90 days and then they follow up with thier coverage. Thats how it works. Again, Call and See for yourself as I did.

Collapse -
pioneer 505mx
by bookwormtracey / April 19, 2006 10:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
Looks like the press release is one year old
by Pebri10 / April 20, 2006 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: pioneer 505mx

Lets hope for the best. But I am still not convinced that it is a better alternative for 1130HD. Looks like 505MX is last years model( as per the press release).
Anyways I got to wait until I see the picture on it.

I paid $4600 without speakers while others paid around $3600 with warranty. This is something bad to feel about.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.