Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Please help on programming/software/mysql

by sachinrao123 / November 27, 2012 4:07 AM PST

Hi. I have to create a software/application which will help me in extracting data from excel sheets and perform certain calculations on a daily basis. It should 2 options. 1 is to enter data and 2nd is to view reports which will be generated by excel. Right now I have been advised to use the following:
1. Heidi sql as the backend
2. ODBC connector
3. Webex for online design
Please let me know if you know any better alternatives. Also, if you know any tutorials/start-up material on these. It ll be of great help!
Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help on programming/software/mysql
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help on programming/software/mysql
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Frankly, Excel is not a data entry tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2012 4:28 AM PST

It's OK but when it comes to data entry we create apps or web pages for that. It really does not matter if you use SQL or not but you do want a database. Use one you know. My first MySQL app took about 3 months to hammer out till we put it into production.

Once in a while you encounter folk that need it by the weekend. That is, they don't want to invest the time and practice to get their new programming skills. These folks are ripe to be plucked clean by those that sell click here to create you new app apps.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: application
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 6:41 AM PST

The help you heavily depends on your programming skills, both for the GUI, the backend and the database. My guess is that an IT-student could make it for you after he finished the first of his 4 years of study.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.