Desktops forum

General discussion

Please Help! (My repairman won't - or can't)

by morninglory / February 8, 2006 10:39 AM PST

My 2002 Gateway has been in for repair twice in the last two weeks (total cost: $140.00). Got it back yesterday (2/7/06). He re-installed the OS. Worked OK until I went to Outlook Express to delete 100+ e-mails. Then it froze. I shut it down and let it rest.
Today I again tried to delete these mails; same thing, frozen solid. Then I got a screen saying Windows (XP) had shut down to keep from damaging my system. Reboot in various modes. Yada, yada, yada. This is a 300SE desktop, 128MB, 1.8GHz, 60GB. I just can't figure out why the darn thing works on-line but won't let me into OE without a problem. Any ideas are MUCH appreciated!
(The repair shop was closed when I went there today-I left a note in the door for him to call-he never did. His policy is a 30-day guarantee on his work). Hmmmm...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please Help! (My repairman won't - or can't)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please Help! (My repairman won't - or can't)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Get more ram?
by damasta55r / February 8, 2006 10:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Please Help! (My repairman won't - or can't)
by Bongo_SWE / February 8, 2006 11:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Agree
by Willy / February 8, 2006 10:24 PM PST

The other 2 posters pretty much suggest the same as I. I recommend before doing thier suggestions, to allow your system more time. When it freezes next you try to delete, give it all the time it wants. Walk away, drink coffee. soda or watch TV. Say after 15-30min. see if it completed the task. If not, then try the recommendations.

Since new OS was installed HOW CAN YOU DELETE 100 emails, they would have been gone too, they're stored on the HD as well. That suggests only a reload(refresh) of the OS rather than a complete from scratch reload. Then again, try the above suggestions. As for 30-day guarantee, if its in writing on bill, etc. then he/she has to stand by it. Otherwise, a person can say anything.

I do suggest you be frank but courteuos when you return system again. Allow tech to attack the email problem if that wasn't part of the orginal repair or explained as such. Get a meeting of the minds in order to resolve the problem.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
did he reformat when he reinstalled the os?
by voodoo2u / February 9, 2006 5:53 AM PST

yikes seems to me if he reinstalled the OS that there would not have been all those mails, unless he reformatted then put all the old junk back on.
prolly just tried to fix the install

but yeaj 2002 gateway best to replace it imo

Collapse -
memory, OE, etc.
by mgirard30643 / February 9, 2006 8:08 AM PST

Minimum memory for XP would be about 512MB. Crucial.com has an ability to lead you through the steps to determine your computer's memory type/needs/limits, and they may offer a guarantee. (You may also shop for more memory at Froogle, etc. but you will want to know the flaws of the company you do business with...as in pricegrabber.com and other shopping comparison sites, cnet.com i.e./) Cnet and PCWorld.com may show you how to install it. Some times a couple of perspectives give a better understanding.
Outlook Express is not the most stable platform, for a computer with a taxed memory system.
You may want to check your hard drive for free space, but with 128MB of RAM, I would be a little surprised if you had used more than 40GB of the 60GB. Still, your computer's minimal RAM size, means it must shuttle the work load thru the Hard Drive, so a De-fragmentation of the Hard Drive may help.

It- may possibly be better -for your budget to save a new PC purchase for Christmas 2007 when the current technology wave of duo/quad 64bit processors, DDR2/DDR3 memory, Vertical Memory Hard Drives, BTX boards, Blue DVD, and Vista, etc. shake out and get caught up with by updated service software. Five years is about the limit for a PC, after that we begin to enter the story of the frog in the pan of slowly heating water, thru comparisons to the then current technology. Upgrade peripherals and softwares in between PC's.

Collapse -
Error code??
by djeve / February 10, 2006 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: memory, OE, etc.

What is the error code? It should look soething like this.... 0x0000008E.... 8E being the most crutial part of it. Searching on google usually can produce what the problem is and if your lucky (or look hard enough )the solution. I use this when I get those errors when I fix computers.

Collapse -
Amount of RAM supported by XP
by ronb42 / February 11, 2006 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: memory, OE, etc.

The afore mentioned amount of supported RAM by Windows XP is incorrect - Windows XP supports up to 4GB of RAM -

The mainboard in a given computer however, may support less RAM, which is where the issue lies in upgrading RAM on a given computer.

Regarding the hard drive and available free space -
Yes, limited free space and or a swap file that is too small can and usually does, reduce overall performance.
Set the swap file to 1.5 times the amount of physical RAM ( per Microsoft ). Empty the temp folder(s), uninstall any unused apps and defrag the drive. Under XP, there are hidden temp file folders under each users directory.
..documents and settings \ user\ local settings \ temp

http://www.whiptech.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.