Camcorders forum

General discussion

Please help me. XP won't recognize my camcorder at all.

by stingray1381 / July 22, 2004 2:23 PM PDT

I am unable to get Windows XP to recognize my camcorder at all through firewire. When I plug in my Sony DCR-TRV38 and turn it to VCR to try and capture, absolutely nothing happens. There is no change in device manager at all. I have replaced the firewire card and the firewire cable, and still no change. Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help me. XP won't recognize my camcorder at all.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help me. XP won't recognize my camcorder at all.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Please help me. XP won't recognize my camcorder at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 10:32 PM PDT

"Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

You ignored the tip and as such I can't tell if your PC should work with such. For instance, what you write would be proper for many PCs that XP is installed on because the person who installed XP didn't install motherboard drivers, have a current BIOS or played with the BIOS settings. Some will tinker with plug and play services or firewall the machine to the point that many things just fail.

Your post left out the PC details and more.

Bob

Collapse -
by stingray1381 / July 22, 2004 11:19 PM PDT

Hi Bob,

Sorry about that. I have a home built computer that has Windows XP, SP 1 on it. The bios is not the most recent, but it is relatively current. I checked the latest bios revision to see if any changes had been made to anything related to the firewire ports, and nothing had. I installed all the drivers myself, and it has all the latest motherboard drivers and other drivers. The motherboard itself is an Abit NF7-S, it has a 2500xp AMD cpu with 1gig of corsair ram. I also have 3 hard drives, all Western Digital.

I made sure that the firewire ports are turned on in the bios, and they are and the ports themselves show up in the XP device manager. However, when I turn the camcorder on and set it to VCR and connect the camcorder through firewire, the computer doesn't recognize it at all. Absolutely nothing happens. The camcorder doesn't show up in device manager. So, it isn't a problem with actually capturing, it's a problem getting the camcorder to recognize the camcorder at all.

One other comment I should make is when connect the camorder and turn everything on, "DV In" shows up on the LCD. Should this be read "DV Out" since I am trying capture video from the tape? Just something odd I thought I would ask about.

Again the Camera is a Sony DCR-TRV38. Bob, if there is some bios setting that I need to make sure is a certain way please let me know. I know the firewire ports are turned on in the bios, and I tried a separate firewire card that I bought, and a new firewire cable, and still no change.

If someone could help me figure this out, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks.

P.S. I tried premiere and Ulead software, and of course they dont' work because XP doesn't see the camcorder

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2004 1:11 AM PDT

The motherboard you noted is indeed one you need that latest BIOS and MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS or else it just may not work.

You can disconnect from the internet and uninstall Zone Alarm to see if that's it. I'm running into that too often as well as the BIOS/Motherboard driver issue.

Yes, it is odd about DV-IN. Check the manual again.

Bob

Collapse -

I'll update the bios when I get home from work, and see what's up. I'll let you know what happens. Hopefully, this fixes it. Thanks for the input.

Collapse -

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately, I did all you suggested, and nothing is fixed. XP still won't recognize my camera.

Also, I still can't figure out why it says DV IN on my camcorder.

Any other suggestions?

Jason

Collapse -
Yes, it should say DV OUT.
by Kiddpeat / August 14, 2004 1:41 PM PDT

DV IN means the firewire port is being used for input to the camera.

I've never checked to see what device manager says. When you enter capture mode in your software, does the camera show up? There will be no 'ding' etc. to tell you that the camera is connected. It will simply appear as an available device in the capture software.

Collapse -

Coming in late, but thought I'd add my 2 cents.

My Sony says DV IN on the lcd screen, but if I go to the menu and drill down there is an option to set DV OUT as ON. This must be turned on otherwise the firewire connection will not work. However, having the DV IN message on the lcd screen does not meen that DV OUT is off or on it seems to be a separate issue on the SONY camera. Check your manual. Mine had a detail explanation of how to turn the feature on.

Collapse -
Go back to USB.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2004 8:59 AM PDT

Pixela ImageMixer isn't as jazzy, but does it work?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Go back to USB.
by dvaryu / August 14, 2004 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Go back to USB.

I'm no computer expert, but I do have some knowledge of camcorders, and I have experienced the same problem you have with a new XP computer not recognizing my camcorder at all. Unfortunately, this is a widespread problem in camcorder land...and the topic of the most extensive community forum thread I have ever seen. It's on Dell's site...look for the thread in the video editing subsection called, "Problem Recognizing DV camcorder via IEEE..."
What you'll find is that this plagues many owners of virtually all kinds of camcorders, and has proved immune to solution--and the guys in that thread seem to have tried everything. The last time I checked they seemed to have settled on some kind of problem inherent in XP...but there was no conclusive proof.

Collapse -
by Mickie G / August 22, 2004 6:53 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.