Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Please help me INCREASE my dial up speed.

by avik06 / October 5, 2006 1:14 AM PDT

I am using B.S.N.L (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited) Dial up connection in my laptop which has got WINDOWS XP with SERVICE PACK 2 loaded in it, a processor of INTEL CELERON 1.5 GHZ, 256 MB of DDR2 RAM,128 MB video card,40 GB Hard Disk and my MODEM is 56k (Soft V90 Data Fax Modem With Smart CP). Everytime I use to log in it shows that I have a connection Speed of 50.6 Kbps but when i go to download any file it gives a horribly slow download speed of 9Kbps-10.5Kbps/sec (In The Download Managers). I have also put of my modem compression option to get better result.But it was of no use. I want to increase my download speed to a minimum of 20 kbps or higher to get some better result. Can anyone help me out of this mess....?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help me INCREASE my dial up speed.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help me INCREASE my dial up speed.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check out
by Willy / October 5, 2006 8:31 PM PDT

Google or websearch for this pgm., TZ connection booster. See, if it can help you. just run the pgm. and follow, in most cases, just accept what it finds.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Just remember this. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 5, 2006 9:49 PM PDT

Connect speed is measured in bits per second. Download speed is measured in Bytes per second. Since analog data contains 8 (actually 10 with a start bit and a stop bit) bits per Byte,. . . 9,000 Bytes = how many bits?

Collapse -
increasing the speed of my downloads in a dial up connection
by happytandon / May 5, 2007 7:16 PM PDT

i have been using a dial up connection of bsnl for almost 2 years. whenever i connect to the internet it displays a message that the speed of the dial up is 45.2 kbps per second ,but whenever i start downloading any item from the internet the downloading speed doesn't go beyond 4 to 5 kbps per second how can i get rid of this problem?

Collapse -
Note the difference between KB and Kb
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 5, 2007 7:41 PM PDT

Your download speed is correct.

The dial up modem speed stated at 45Kbps = kilo bits per second.
But the download speed stated at 4-5KBps = kilo bytes per second.

One KBps = 8 Kbps, so 5 KBps download speed is in fact = to (5 x Cool 40 Kbps, which is about right.

Sorry, but on a dial up that is pretty good speed, and you will not get much faster. To get greater download speeds you need either DSL or Broadband.

Collapse -
And a little more math. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 5, 2007 11:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
by P.R.IDE / April 10, 2008 7:04 AM PDT

DSL is broadband:)

Collapse -

keep updating me in new improvements in information technology.

interested topics,

wireless issue ,
remote assistance,

Collapse -
Updating in what way?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 25, 2007 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: hi

Sorry but your post is a little confusing. What do you want to be updated with?

This discussion was started by people who had specific problems with their telephone dial-up internet connection speeds. Do you have a similar problem? If so, please give more details.

What are "Interesting topics"?

What do you need to know about "Wireless issues" and "Remote assistance"?

Collapse -
re: possible it will help
by sergio1476 / May 8, 2007 7:37 AM PDT

many times you habe many programs runing and updating tjhemselves with or without your permision. Be sure to use some start up utility and eliminaTE all unnecesary services. example: toolbars, microsoft update, microsoft firefall, security notifications, adobe update, and many others.

second try using "mozilla firefox" it uses less memory and is faster than ie7.

finally the only thing you MUST keep with the autoupdate issue is your favorite antivirus.

have a good surfing and switch to bropadband as soon as you can. bye

Collapse -
help me
by hunnymadaan / July 14, 2007 9:48 PM PDT

speed of my dialup connection is near about 35kb/sec. how i can increase it

Collapse -
You can't. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 15, 2007 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: help me
Collapse -
by prose35 / July 14, 2007 9:49 PM PDT

Collapse -
by Kathie65 / April 28, 2008 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: DIAL OU OF AGE

If one could get a "cable modem" why would one be on "dial-up"

Have I missed something here?

Collapse -
INCREASE Your Dial-Up Speed
by zomanmansur / March 28, 2008 7:09 PM PDT

if you want increase your dial-up speed, download dial-up plus from install the dup and don't restart your pc then open your Control Panel > Phone and modem then click mordem option > properties > Advance here you see one box (Extra initialization commands: type at&fx on the box then click ok button final restart your pc by zomanmansur

Collapse -
Two things. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 28, 2008 11:55 PM PDT

Dial-up enhancers do not work. All they do is build a large cache to increase the speed of previously loaded pages. They will not increase the speed of pure downloading. They cannot change the physics of the telephone cable pair. And your link does not work.

Did you notice the date of the original post? Two years old.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software.
My mini-Schnauzer is smarter than your honor student.

Collapse -
I want it for my Broadband Dial-Up
by ivano7 / June 5, 2009 1:32 AM PDT

Do this program works with a broadband Dial-Up? I'm having a good Speed, 115 kilo bites per second. (No kilobits, I'm am Broadband. KILOBYTES) But i want more so I can play with my PS3 online and download thing here at the same time. If I do it rigth now, it will slow down on my PS3 and here to the half. If that program doesn't work for me, do you know any other program. Please respond, I have my brother sitting down.

Collapse -
New gateway quad with dialip , slower than my 1993 aptiva
by slimjim440 / September 25, 2009 11:15 PM PDT

I have been trying to get gateway to say if it is a vista problem or my agere pci-sv92pp soft modem that causes this new computer to run dialup slower than my 1993 ibm aptiva e3u. They won't say. I sent the new computer back. It returned with a not: your modem will run at 16.8kbs.

I am disapp9ointe dwith thme. I don't want anything but but there technical answer. Why slo slow!!!

Collapse -
You should honestly just get broadband
by P.R.IDE / April 10, 2008 7:02 AM PDT

Seriously. I have DSL (the fastest kind of it and near a hub) and Windows XP Service Pack 2 (later, actually I have Media Center Edition)and my Internet speed using wireless is 54 Mbps. (not Kbps)

Collapse -
this is how i sped up my computer
by willman10000 / April 28, 2008 12:33 PM PDT

First go to start then control panel(if its in clasic view find phone and modem options)(if its in the other view go to hardware and sound then go to phone and modem otions)you shuld get a new window.
Click on the modem tab find the properties button and click it a new wendow will open.
Now go to the advance tab now you should see a box it should read "Extra initialozation commands:"
(if the box is nonactive or darkend go to the general tab and click change setings THEN go to advance tab in that new window)and type AT&FX (make sure you are offline before you apply. now you shuld have about dubble the speed.

ps.if anyone finds somthing wrong with this plz tell me

Collapse -
My agere pci-sv92pp modem will not allow any strings
by slimjim440 / September 25, 2009 11:19 PM PDT

Thwe string field is not activated when I do what you suggest.
But thanks.

Collapse -
Try Google Web Accelerator
by ishan.sharma001 / May 3, 2008 12:26 PM PDT

Visit Google and search for Google web accelerator. It is free of cost.It does not give you tremendous speed. You will see 5-10% increase.
Remember that it only supports internet explorer and Firefox. For first 2-3 days their will be no significant increase. After that, speeds will increase. Note that the speed increase is for surfing.
Download speeds generally drop if you surf when downloading is being done. Best way is to do only one thing at a time. Tell me which browser you use. If it is firefox, I may help you more.

Collapse -
by In-Correct / July 31, 2008 5:05 PM PDT

This is like a 3 year old post?? I wonder if the creator of this tread even has that same computer system.

If so, it sounds like the configuration such as 128MB of Ram might affect the performance of dial up and almost anything else. Make sure the computer performance is very efficient. AVG is good for virus and spyware detection. Try to keep programs (especially large ones) not all open at the same time, and many programs access the internet by themselves, which can causes more traffic.

Downloading is not very fast, be sure to download one thing at a time. Opera browser is great for downloading. FireFox is great for regular browsing. FlashPeak SlimBrowser is Trident-based, but is much more efficient than Internet Explorer.

Increasing efficiency is partial help. It won't affect downloading very much, and the connection speed will never exceed 56K...some FCC rule or something like that... And the rest is determined by the quality of the telephone wiring. This is the third house I have had dialup in...the first is around 36K, but sometimes it goes up to 48K; the next house was almost always 49,296bps; and this house is only 28.8!!

Accelerators are a great idea, but it is an idea that needs to be worked on more.

Collapse -
by VampireWolf5453 / May 26, 2009 1:56 PM PDT

you're complaining of ur speed? in the 5 years i have had an online presence my ONLY option is dial up because broadband wireless, etc are unavailable or in the hundreds of dollas a month range plus 2k + to haave it installed/setup. and he sad part being my maximm speed i have EVER had, is aproximate ly 5 kilobits per second so yeah you want to complain of ur slow speeds all you can? i'll trade u anyday

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.