Computer Help forum

Alert

Please Help Me

by Your-Pc-11 / February 5, 2013 12:44 AM PST

I have a Toshiba satellite pro and it keeps going back to windows xp start up screen, safe mode doesn't work and also booting from a recovery CD disc just says there is no hard drive detected also it is coming up with blue screen saying 0X0000007B

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please Help Me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please Help Me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Take a look at this link
by wpgwpg / February 5, 2013 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Please Help Me
Collapse -
Thanks
by Your-Pc-11 / February 5, 2013 1:01 AM PST

Thanks, but it doesn't help much as i can even access the computer, and it doesn't have any answers i can see

Collapse -
Recovery disk(s)
by pgc3 / February 5, 2013 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

What are you using for recovery media? Was Windows working normally prior to this incident? More information might help.

Collapse -
Recovery Disks
by Your-Pc-11 / February 5, 2013 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: Recovery disk(s)

Ive got a dell windows xp operating system one, a windows xp profesional one and also a windows xp home edition one, none of these work, it used to run vista. this is all i know. but it did used to work running xp.
does anyone think the hard drive has gone bust or is there something i can do to fix this. Many Thanks.

Collapse -
You can check with Ubuntu or UBCD
by wpgwpg / February 5, 2013 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: Recovery Disks

To see if the hard drive and other components are working, you can boot from a Ubuntu or UBCD disc to get to a Windows like desktop where you can look at the hard drive. This assumes the computer has the ability to boot at all. To make a bootable Ubuntu disc, go to http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop. You can also download UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) and make a CD that will boot XP without having to load anything from the hard drive.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Your-Pc-11 / February 5, 2013 1:45 AM PST

Thanks i will try it and get back 2 u...

Collapse -
:( Broken HD
by Your-Pc-11 / February 5, 2013 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

The CD with Ubuntu on it did not work, the screen just flashed for a bit then went back to the windows did not start successfully.... so I have come to the conclusion the HD is not working...

Collapse -
Probably bad
by Willy / February 5, 2013 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: Recovery Disks

Make sure your laptop is setup to boot from CD, as 1st boot device. If it starts to load the CD recovery disc or similar then you know the CD drive works. If upon trying to install on HD or still doesn't see one, then the HD is bad. The other half of this is the mtrbd. it connects to include any cabling. These HDs don't last forever and it appears it seems since it can't find a HD to work with it displays that error. I would try another HD if available.

Also, safe mode won't work as that's at a level where it requires the HD. Again it appears to be a bad HD. If you know the HD maker, then visit the support website and get the diags to test the HD. Alas, if upon initial boot-up, the bios should show a HD present, what does it display. Access the bios area as well to best see this action. If nothing, then besides the HD being bad, is the mtrbd.. I would reset several times the cabling and clean contacts and test again. if this laptop had been running "hot" it may have succumbed to heat damage.

You could also remove laptop HD and see if its seen on a desktop with proper connections as 2nd HD or mount in ext. USB case.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
by Your-Pc-11 / February 5, 2013 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Probably bad

Thanks, the first boot device was the CD drive, next to hard disk in bios it says :TOSHIBA MK8037GSX, not sure what u mean by mtrbd. and I don't have anything 2 test the HD with, i am currently just about to test it using Ubuntu see if anything works...

Collapse -
HD BROKEN I THINK
by Your-Pc-11 / February 5, 2013 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

The CD with Ubuntu on it did not work, the screen just flashed for a bit then went back to the windows did not start successfully.... so I have come to the conclusion the HD is not working...

Collapse -
(NT) Replace HD with same or larger one...it looks that way
by Willy / February 5, 2013 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: HD BROKEN I THINK
Collapse -
Recovery media
by pgc3 / February 5, 2013 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Reply

The recovery media you are trying to use isn't going to work, you will need the Toshiba recovery disks. Ubuntu was mentioned, that is a POSSIBILITY but doubtful. IF this was(originally) an XP system there is another trick to try, though it sounds far out I have done this on more than one system under similar conditions. Find a pre 2005 Norton AV disk, they are rare..load the disk into the drive and there will be boot options..one is boot to Windows and that is what you would do, it will either work or not, dependent upon conditions of the failure. If you can get your hands on and old Norton disk it is certainly worth a shot. Aside from that, the easiest way would be to bite the bullet and get the Toshi disks, which of course will not be free.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.