Mac OS

Resolved Question

Please help, Macbook Pro won't login.

by simonjwpage / January 19, 2013 9:57 PM PST

My macbook Pro loads to the login page, i enter my password, it starts to log in, then it returns to the logins screen. I have tried loading with Mac OS X disk and doing a disk repair but no luck. I cannot think what would have caused it, I did clear out my Mac the night before but I don't remember deleting any start-up files etc. Thank you very much, any help is very much appreciated!

simonjwpage has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help, Macbook Pro won't login.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help, Macbook Pro won't login.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by simonjwpage

Collapse -
SOLVED
by simonjwpage / January 20, 2013 1:00 AM PST

Booted in safe mode, then shut down and boot in normal mode and logged me in no problem!!!!

Collapse -
Answer
Re: no login
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 10:29 PM PST

You "tried loading with Mac OS X". What exactly did you do?
You "tried doing disk repair". What exactly did you do?

On first sight, it seems you deleted something that you shouldn't have deleted. Do all accounts refuse to accept login? Or only the one in which you did the clean up?

Kees

Collapse -
Re
by simonjwpage / January 19, 2013 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: Re: no login

1) I put in the Mac OS X disk and held C as it booted up. From there I went into system utilities and verified and repaired the disk.

I have my user and a guest account. I can login with the guest account, but my account (the one i was cleaning up) doesn't work.

Thank you very much

Collapse -
Answer
What an ominous phrase, "I did clear out my Mac"
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 10:34 PM PST

and may be what is at the root of this problem.

Try starting in Safe Mode, (hold down the Option key at the first chime and keep it down)

If fails, it may be that your only recourse is to reinstall your OS without formatting the drive.

Look carefully at the options as you step through the installer. Depending on your version of OS X, there may be an option to "Archive and Install"

Just as a matter of interest, just what were you "clearing out"?

P

Collapse -
I didn't mean to make that the best answer!
by simonjwpage / January 19, 2013 10:47 PM PST

Sorry I didn't mean to make that the best answers, I've never used this site before!

Thank you for the suggestions will try now, can I reinstall OS without wiping the drive?

I cleared up music, videos, pictures, public, and some old 'Application Support' folders (found in /library/) for apps that I no longer use.

Thank you

Collapse -
Can you confirm that you are back in business
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 7:45 AM PST

again.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.