Horror stories abound from people who buy "knock off" batteries. Some even catch fire. Simply, spend the bucks and get the genuine OEM battery. Don't scrimp.
(I'm also posting this in the Computer Help forum, just in case you see it there too and wonder why I'm repeating myself...)
I need a new battery for my laptop--an HP Pavilion dv6-1355dx (the battery is completely dead--can't even charge it now). I found one I liked at BestBuy.com, item name "Laptop Battery Pros - Lithium-Ion Battery for HP Pavilion DV4, DV5, DV6, and CQ60 Laptops". It is $120, on sale for $87. However, I googled the phrase "laptop battery HP Pavilion dv6-1355dx", and all the websites and Google Shopping Results that came up showed prices ranging from $17-$65 (most in the $30-$50 range).
So now I'm completely confused...
1. Why the huge difference in PRICE??
2. What is DIFFERENT about the one I found at Best Buy that makes it so much more EXPENSIVE?? (and that model is just MID-range for the laptop batteries at Best Buy...)
3. Is it just that the Best Buy one is a lot BETTER?? (battery lasts longer between charges and/or has a longer life in general??)
4. But then, it's weird that no pricier batteries (over ~$65) came up when I did my google search--why is that??
5. I didn't realize that there were other companies (i.e., non-computer brands/manufacturers) that make laptop batteries... Is it better to get a battery made by a COMPUTER manufacturer/brand (HP, in my case) vs. a NON-COMPUTER manufacturer (like Laptop Battery Pros)?? Or does that not make much difference??
6. Aside from battery LIFE, are there any OTHER FACTORS to take into acount when choosing a battery for a laptop??
7. Are ALL (or MOST?) of the laptop batteries made today the LITHIUM-ION kind?? (that's the BEST kind, right??)
If you can, please keep any language you use as simple/"not-too-technical" as possible--in case you can't tell, I'm not all that tech-savvy...
I've been without a computer for over a week now, so I really need to get a battery as SOON as posible--PLEASE HELP!!
(And please forgive my asking so many questions--as well as my ignorance!)