Computer Newbies forum

PLEASE HELP!! laptop battery--what kind?/price differences?

by shanna077 / January 5, 2013 5:42 AM PST

(I'm also posting this in the Computer Help forum, just in case you see it there too and wonder why I'm repeating myself...)

I need a new battery for my laptop--an HP Pavilion dv6-1355dx (the battery is completely dead--can't even charge it now). I found one I liked at, item name "Laptop Battery Pros - Lithium-Ion Battery for HP Pavilion DV4, DV5, DV6, and CQ60 Laptops". It is $120, on sale for $87. However, I googled the phrase "laptop battery HP Pavilion dv6-1355dx", and all the websites and Google Shopping Results that came up showed prices ranging from $17-$65 (most in the $30-$50 range).

So now I'm completely confused...
1. Why the huge difference in PRICE??
2. What is DIFFERENT about the one I found at Best Buy that makes it so much more EXPENSIVE?? (and that model is just MID-range for the laptop batteries at Best Buy...)
3. Is it just that the Best Buy one is a lot BETTER?? (battery lasts longer between charges and/or has a longer life in general??)
4. But then, it's weird that no pricier batteries (over ~$65) came up when I did my google search--why is that??
5. I didn't realize that there were other companies (i.e., non-computer brands/manufacturers) that make laptop batteries... Is it better to get a battery made by a COMPUTER manufacturer/brand (HP, in my case) vs. a NON-COMPUTER manufacturer (like Laptop Battery Pros)?? Or does that not make much difference??
6. Aside from battery LIFE, are there any OTHER FACTORS to take into acount when choosing a battery for a laptop??
7. Are ALL (or MOST?) of the laptop batteries made today the LITHIUM-ION kind?? (that's the BEST kind, right??)

If you can, please keep any language you use as simple/"not-too-technical" as possible--in case you can't tell, I'm not all that tech-savvy...

I've been without a computer for over a week now, so I really need to get a battery as SOON as posible--PLEASE HELP!!
(And please forgive my asking so many questions--as well as my ignorance!) Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PLEASE HELP!! laptop battery--what kind?/price differences?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PLEASE HELP!! laptop battery--what kind?/price differences?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
In a simple nutshell . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 6, 2013 12:44 AM PST

Horror stories abound from people who buy "knock off" batteries. Some even catch fire. Simply, spend the bucks and get the genuine OEM battery. Don't scrimp.

Collapse -
Sorry . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 6, 2013 12:45 AM PST

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. This meas from the computer company, and in this case, HP.

Collapse -
just so I understand...
by shanna077 / January 7, 2013 6:10 AM PST

So you're saying I need to get an HP BRAND battery, right? (The one I found at Best Buy is out of the question?--even though it is more expensive, thus implying that it should be of better quality? and even though it has GOOD RATINGS at

Well, when I google "HP laptop battery", all the results that come up are NON-hp brand batteries--just batteries from other manufacturers that are compatible with hp laptops. So is the only way to get an HP brand battery to go to

Well I did that, and all the batteries that are compatible with a dv6 laptop have really CRUDDY RATINGS... Why is that?? (and, they're even more expensive than the one at Best Buy... not that price is the determining factor, at this point...) So what should I do?? Are OEM batteries UNEQUIVOCALLY the best ones?? (even despite the poor ratings??)

Sorry--don't mean to be a pain!! I just want to be SURE I get a VERY good battery that will last/perform well. Happy

Collapse -
There's the "correct answer" and then YOUR CHOICE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 6:26 AM PST

Given the liability issues, no one should answer but with what you are getting here. I see folk have replied with what looks to be the correct answer but YOU MAKE THE FINAL CHOICE.

If you want to try some non-maker battery then you do that and know that such is what it is. No one can make this decision but you.

Collapse -
There's the correct answer and the other answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 6, 2013 12:56 AM PST

For now the correct answer is to get the battery from the maker. WHY IS THAT? While other batteries might be fine the problem of "Laptop Battery Fires" caused a lot of trouble a few years ago and highlighted a problem.

If you go cheap you rarely can find anyone to pin the liability of such a failure on.

The other answers are "it's a battery, buy it."

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.