Computer Help

General discussion

Please help! DELL PC keyboard failure problem.

by zync_x215 / February 4, 2008 5:35 AM PST

I have a Dell PC and windows XP and while I was using my computer it suddenly crashed, and the keyboard wouldn't work so I couldn't type cntrl+alt+ delete
So i restarted the computer but instead of restarting like normal, it came up with a black screen and white writing, with some stuff at the top like www.dell.com etc.
and then the words: keyboard failure, press f1 to continue and press f2 to continue system (or something like that)
However I when i pressed f1 and f2 nothing happened.
I tried taking out the usb keybaord conenction at the back of the computer and plugging it in again. And restarting the computer again but the same screen message keeps coming up. What should I do? is it just a matter of getting a new keyboard? or will I have to get a new computer and have I lost all my files, etc.
Please help. Thak you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please help! DELL PC keyboard failure problem.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please help! DELL PC keyboard failure problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should be a simple matter
by Jimmy Greystone / February 4, 2008 5:42 AM PST

Should be a simple matter of getting a new keyboard.

And you've got to love those error messages don't you? The keyboard is malfunctioning, so press a key on the malfunctioning keyboard to either go on or see about fixing it. Pure comedy gold.

Collapse -
thanks
by zync_x215 / February 5, 2008 1:11 AM PST

that really put a smile on my face

Collapse -
Take a deep breath and don't panic
by jconner / February 4, 2008 5:46 AM PST

"However I when i pressed f1 and f2 nothing happened.
I tried taking out the usb keybaord conenction at the back of the computer and plugging it in again. And restarting the computer again but the same screen message keeps coming up. What should I do? is it just a matter of getting a new keyboard? or will I have to get a new computer and have I lost all my files, etc."

In order to boot up the computer needs as a minimum and keyboard and a video to communicate with you. Your video is working. So far it is not recognizing the keyboard. See if the lights on the keyboard blink when you power on? If yes the keyboard is probably OK. If not,

Borrow someone else's keyboard and try pluggin it in and booting / power up again. Be sure to turn the power off wait about 30 seconds and then try again. If it makes it, its the keyboard, if not its something else.

If its not, then try using your original keyboard and go into setup (usually hold the delete key or the screen will tell you what to hit to enter setup). If you get that far, then its a little more serious.

At that point you probably need to get some technical help or post more details about your hardware, model, operating system etc.

Even in the worst case your data can be recovered if you take your time and go slow in detecting the problem.

Collapse -
Much appreciated
by zync_x215 / February 5, 2008 1:13 AM PST

Thanks for that
It made everything seem much better!
Will try out your suggested method of action pronto

Collapse -
Having followed advice, i think i still need help
by zync_x215 / February 5, 2008 5:26 AM PST

ok so I first went out, bought a new keyboard, plugged it in (made sure it was compatible with windows XP) and then the odd message went away and the computer started like normal. However, when I had let it start up, I realised I couldn't move the mouse, because the icon was frozen on the screen, although I could see on the computer screen applications loading etc.
So I turned the computer off and plugged in a new mouse, and tried again but instead of loading normally as it did before, it went back to the message i got at the start of the problem:
Keyboard failure:
Drive 0 not found: Serial ATA, SATA 0
Strike the f1 to continue, f2 to setup utility

And pressing f1/f2 did not work

Am I not doing something right? or is this a serious problem and will need more work? If so, what should i do?

I have a Dell PC, not a laptop, uses windows XP, about 1-2years old.

If you need more info so you can give advice, tell me what you need to know, unfortunately I am not very clued up on what is necessary to know so you will have to tell me exactly what you need.
All help is much appreciated.
Thank you.

Collapse -
Keyboard failuire on boot
by ebrabec / April 7, 2008 4:26 AM PDT

I contacted Dell and was able to resolve the problem with this easy fix...as follows.

-Unplug the computer and disconnect all devices.

-Press and hold power button for 10 seconds to drain the capacitor to prevent electrical shock.

-Open computer case and locate the 3 pin jumper block (located next to the 4 SATA harddrive connection points on the motherboard). The jumper is blue and will be connected to two of the three pins on the motherboard.

-Remove the jumper block for a second (apparently this clears the memory?) then reconnect it back to it's original postion.

-Close it up and that should do it! The Dell tech guy said the memory was corrupted or looped and this procedure cleared it out.

I's work!

Collapse -
SUPER THANK YOU!!!
by dcrowe_me / December 22, 2010 5:52 AM PST

I RAN INTO THIS SAME PROBLEM WITH MY DELL DEMENSION C521 TODAY. THE DELL SUPPORT WANTED $59 TO HELP ME. I READ THIS AND FOLLOWED YOUR DIRECTIONS, BUT JUST REMOVED THE SYSTEM BATTERY FOR AFEW SECONDS. CLOSED IT UP, RECONNECTED, BOOTED, WORKS FINE. THANK YOU FOR THE CHRISTMAS GIFT.
dANNY C.

Collapse -
Lost wireless USB
by Wendyf29 / February 25, 2014 10:30 AM PST

Is there no way to disable the keyboard and go to touchscreen?

Collapse -
Dell PC 4550 window XP keyboard failure. Need help!!!
by sky lee / March 28, 2009 12:48 AM PDT

Have tried the remedies listed but without any luck.
The trouble started (???) when an old window's update was accidently deleted.
1. The monitor did show 2-lines momentarily but disappeared immdiatelly before I could make any sense from it.
2. Another whole page appears for 2o seconds counting. However, time was up when I was half way done.
3. After restarting, it shows "keyboard failure" & goes into a circle continuously.
Any help will be deeply appreciated.
Sky Lee

Collapse -
Fixed the problem
by sky lee / March 30, 2009 12:59 AM PDT

By restoring.
Thanks for the information.
Sky Lee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.