Cameras forum

General discussion

PLEASE HELP! ~ "Card Not Initialized" / Fuji FinePix F20

by pleasehelpme2 / April 27, 2007 8:04 AM PDT

Hello!

I have a Fuji FinePix F20 with ALL my pictures from our recent trip to the phillipines on the card, and I've loaded past pictures onto my dad's PC fine.

When I went to load them on my imac, it didn't work and now when the card is back in the camera I am getting the "Card not initialized" error message.

I've read I need to reformat the card but I don't want to loose any of the pictures, Can anyone help me? Thanks! Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PLEASE HELP! ~ "Card Not Initialized" / Fuji FinePix F20
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PLEASE HELP! ~ "Card Not Initialized" / Fuji FinePix F20
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fujifilm F20
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 27, 2007 12:54 PM PDT

The first thing to do is remove the card from the camera and take it to your local photo processing location.
Tell them the problem and ask to to see if they can recover the images for you.
If they can, they can write them to a CD for you.
If they can't....you will need photo recovery software and a card reader.

A card reader will cost about $20...be sure to get one that can read xD memory cards (the type you have).

Here is one recovery software.....
http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
It costs about $30, but it works with Windows and iMac.

To prevent this from happening in the future.
When you first put a new memory card in the camera, you must FORMAT the card with the camera before taking any photos.

To get your camera to recognize your present card....after you recover the photos......you will have to use the card reader and your computer to delete all photos and folders from the card.
Then you camera will probably recognize it properly.
Then FORMAT the card with the camera.

You are then...good to go.

Collapse -
Fujifilm 100x 4gb Compact Flash -Card Not Initialized-
by eptejadar / August 18, 2010 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Fujifilm F20

My very good friend leave me his own Fujifilm FinePix S9600 Digital Camera and a Fujifilm 100x 4GB Compact Flash memory card. He asked me to please send him to Brazil with your camera memory card full of photos around London.... But before I planning to send, just take the memory card to see all the pic in my Mac. After that, the camera doesn't recognized the memory card with the message, CARD NOT INITIALIZED!
I read all the messages in your web with the same situation and I try to Format the memory card in the same camera for several times, but doesn't work, the message still there. I finally deleted all the photos with my Fujifilm Digital Card Reader and I formatted again with the same camera but the message appears again.
First, my friend never formatted your memory card for the first time and now I'm in trouble with their stuff. As I can explain that? Anyway, there will be another possible solution to the camera's memory card accept again? HELP PLEASE, my good friend is desperate to get back his beautiful camera.My very good friend leave me his own Fujifilm FinePix S9600 Digital Camera and a Fujifilm 100x 4GB Compact Flash memory card. He asked me to please send him to Brazil with your camera memory card full of photos around London.... But before I planning to send, just take the memory card to see all the pic in my Mac. After that, the camera doesn't recognized the memory card with the message, CARD NOT INITIALIZED!

I read all the messages in your web with the same situation and I try to Format the memory card in the same camera for several times, but doesn't work, the message still there. I finally deleted all the photos with my Fujifilm Digital Card Reader and I formatted again with the same camera but the message appears again.

Firstly my friend never do formatted his memory card for the first time and now I'm in trouble with their stuff. As I can explain him? Anyway, there will be another possible solution for the camera accept again the memory card? Help please, my good friend is desperate to get back his beautiful camera. Thanks!

Collapse -
Mac and PC
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 19, 2010 12:46 AM PDT

The Mac and PC have some differences regarding photo files.

If you format a memory card or write on a memory card with the Mac, the camera may not be able to read the files on the card.

I suggest you borrow someones PC and try again.

Collapse -
Card Not Initialized! does not des
by eptejadar / August 20, 2010 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac and PC

Thank you very much for your help, but I've tried everything on the laptop of my son. I formatted the laptop with the help of my fujifilm Digital Card Reader and then again formatted the same camera and the message CARD NOT INITIALIZED! does not disappear. Help Please!

Collapse -
another question
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / August 20, 2010 12:38 PM PDT

What size of memory card is it?

Collapse -
also
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / August 20, 2010 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: another question

Did you back up what was on the card before you formatted it? The reason why snapshot said to back up the information on the card was because formatting the card erases everything off of it.

Collapse -
Card Not Initialized!
by eptejadar / August 21, 2010 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: also

Well is a normal Fujifilm 100x 4GB Compact Flash Memory Card. But do you think when I formatted the Card in the Laptop, maybe that caused the damage of the card? I don't think so the card is damage but I don't know how can I do to camera accept the card again. Anyway the pics is already in my Mac but all I need is the camera recognizes the memory card. Any idea?

Collapse -
Something to try
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 21, 2010 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Card Not Initialized!

Using the computer and the card reader/writer - delete every file and every folder you find on the card.

Then put the card in the camera and format the card with the camera.

Collapse -
trying to disappear the message, Card not initialized!
by eptejadar / August 21, 2010 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Something to try

Thanks again, I already done and the message CARD NOT INITIALIZED! still there.

Collapse -
Computer
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 21, 2010 11:40 AM PDT

If you formatted that card with a MAC computer the camera will likely not be able to read it.

I believe the MAC gives you the option of formatting the card as a PC computer.
Try that

Better yet, format the card with a PC computer.
Then delete every file and folder on the card.
Then put it in the camera and format the card with the camera.

Collapse -
I'm confused
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / August 21, 2010 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Card Not Initialized!

You said your card is a 4GB compact flash card but the Fuji F20 can only use XD memory cards and they max out at 2GB. Did you mix up the model number of your Fuji?

Collapse -
CARD NOT INITIALIZED! MESSAGE STILL THERE
by eptejadar / August 23, 2010 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm confused

Dear Amigos, I already formatted and deleted the memory card of 4GB in my other computer with my Fujifilm card reader, it's not a Mac is a laptop and later I'm have formatted with the FUJIFILM FINEPIX S9600 camera, but the crazy message don't want to go.... Ufff! Any other idea?

Collapse -
Not Initialized
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / August 23, 2010 10:47 AM PDT

I have run out of ideas.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Collapse -
CARD NOT INITIALIZED! MESSAGE
by Mad4Photos / November 6, 2010 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Initialized

Hey I had the same problem. on my Finpix S602Zoom.

Than I tied the following:

Plug the card to a USB reader, mine is a 4gb microdrive, but fits like a CF.

Then on the Run window type cmd then enter.
DOS box opens.

type "format D:/FS:DOS" (make sure D is you CF drive and not something else !!! else your will screw a whole load of other stuff!!!) then enter.

May take a few hours to format, may only take a few minutes

Try the card in your camera.

If this does not work then try just:

"format D:" (D being your CF) then enter.

Again, May take a few hours to format, may only take a few minutes

Hope it works out for you. Bye.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.