The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Please don't compare NASCAR to Poker or Gaming League...

by crowflies / April 18, 2006 10:10 PM PDT

I almost shut off the podcast today because i heard Molly mention that this new gaming league is trying to compete with televised shows like poker and NASCAR??!!? you compared nascar to poker and gaming... i know you probably are not into nascar, and i bet i am one of the very few tech geeks that listen to this podcast that is into nascar, but please, that is blasphemy!! the 75 million fans of nascar nation would have a serious problem with your comparison.

if you've ever been to a race or even knew someone that was a fan, you would know that aside for "maybe" football, there are no fans more devoted.

cmon wood...
but i forgive you

eric

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Please don't compare NASCAR to Poker or Gaming League...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Please don't compare NASCAR to Poker or Gaming League...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The problem with the gaming league
by rechellesharp / April 18, 2006 10:19 PM PDT

Lets face it, with a sport like NASCAR or otherwise it takes years of practice, natural skill and a bit of luck to make it to the top of your game.

Some would say its the same for a top video game player and this may be true.

But the big difference is I am never going to be in the Dayton 500 or the Major league baseball finals. These amazing events are something I can only experience through watching it at the event or on TV

But I can go down to my local video game store and pick up a nintendo and a copy of smash brothers and play it myself.

This very fact is why the gaming league will never become huge.

It will have its fans but this will be the hardcore bunch.

Need an example, look at league bowling. Sure its got its fans but in the end I would rather just go play for myself and I can very easily.

Collapse -
Have to agree
by Dirty Pirate / April 18, 2006 11:42 PM PDT

Since I arrived in Ireland, I was amazed on how the Darts and Snooker games were huge here, and how it is only played on TV in North America late at night as filler shows.

To me this is just a game, but here it is a sport and followed religiously. Just go to a bookies office and see.

Collapse -
True...
by RodderRodder / April 19, 2006 11:22 AM PDT

I would agree, sort of. As you said yourself:

'' Lets face it, with a sport like NASCAR or otherwise it takes years of practice, natural skill and a bit of luck to make it to the top of your game.

Some would say its the same for a top video game player and this may be true.''

I'm sure it does take top video game players time, skill, and luck. Then you said:

''But I can go down to my local video game store and pick up a nintendo and a copy of smash brothers and play it myself.''

But could you defeat anyone you played against right from the start? If you can, I want to know your secrets. Happy And that, arguably, would be why some people would watch. People had said some of the same things about NASCAR before it got big. You could set up some Tyco Night tracks and do that... or learn how to drive professionally. And sometimes professional sports aren't terribly sometimes. Don't sell yourself short. Happy

It definitely will have fans, funny enough.

Collapse -
Yes I kind of agree
by rechellesharp / April 19, 2006 6:41 PM PDT
In reply to: True...

I do agree with your post.......kind of

I just think that while I could learn to drive a race car or play baseball. I will never be at the level of pros and yes the same can be said for a video game.

But baseball, NASCAR etc etc are sports that require some for of action (eg moving my body) and have the risk of real injuries even death if I get it wrong.

This makes watching the pros all that more exciting....

You just don't get that from watching a video game.

I think part of it is certainly a point of view thing, Pro level sports have the view that we will never be of that level but video games have that view that anyone can play them.

Maybe this all ties into how we view people in our society....nerds vs. jocks and the rewards vs. negatives

I am rambling and I think that?s an issue for another conversation

Collapse -
I think Molly was complementing Nascar's popularity
by alpabarot / April 19, 2006 1:57 AM PDT

there's no need to get on her case about it. It was a compliment.

Collapse -
It's not me, it's MLG
by mollywood CNET staff / April 19, 2006 2:00 AM PDT

Hey, I didn't invent the NASCAR comparison! Take it up with Matthew Bromberg, president and COO of Major League Gaming:

"We believe that pro-gaming-wise, this will be the next World Poker Tour, the next Nascar and the next action-sports movements."

http://news.com.com/2100-1043_3-6062053.html

Personally, I would much rather watch NASCAR than people playing video games.

Collapse -
MLG and Poker
by adkinsjm / April 19, 2006 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: It's not me, it's MLG
Collapse -
Your not the only tech geek into NASCAR
by openedmind / April 19, 2006 2:28 AM PDT

I've been a fan of NASCAR about as long as I've been a tech geek (yes - that may sound like an oxymoron but who cares). I've been to several races over the years and I've seen how "devout" some fans are to the driver they like. The only place you may find fans more devoted to a sport are in England watching REAL football.

bConway26

Collapse -
Tech Geeks And Racing
by adkinsjm / April 19, 2006 2:33 AM PDT

I think tech geeks should be tuned to open-wheel racing such as IRL, ChampCar, and F1. If you take a look at these cars, they are much more computerized than NASCAR.

Collapse -
Very true - F1/CART/IRL are more tech advanced
by openedmind / April 19, 2006 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Tech Geeks And Racing

But I do like the fact that for the most part NASCAR puts on a more competive race. Because there is not a lot of technology in the cars like traction control, anti lock brakes, etc - it makes talent a premium. I really do think it's harder to drive a stock car than a indy car.

Collapse -
Considering some of the OTHER stuff on TV...
by punterjoe / April 20, 2006 11:30 AM PDT

I'm sure there's an audience for anything. So why not gaming? I don't get it, but I guess I don't have to.
Didn't someone even do pro-dodgeball a while back?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.