Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Playing Windows Media Player in Firefox

by denjones / November 17, 2006 8:24 AM PST

On my new laptop, Gateway, AMD Turion 64 running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP2 and Windows Media Player 11, I can't play .wmv files thru Firefox 2.0. The will play though in IE7.

Trying to watch video from I get the following message.
The video esperience is optimized for Windows Media Player 9 or above. No Windows Media Player detected.

On CBS, No media player is installed. Click on one of the links below to install a media player.

I just reinstalled WMP11 with the same results. I can play .wmv files that are on my hard drive but not using Firefox.

When I look in Tools/Options/Content/Manage .wmv isn't listed as a file type.

Your help is appreciated.

Denny Jones

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playing Windows Media Player in Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playing Windows Media Player in Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am using WMP Plug-in DLL
by Owyn / November 17, 2006 6:16 PM PST

Handles all the standard Windows media types (wma, wmv, ...) just fine with WMP11.

Aaargh. I am getting a brain fart at the moment.

Can't remember how I got this loaded in the first place. Grandfathered since FF1.0. Followed the add-ons links for the plug-in and ended up at Microsoft's WMP11 site. Plug-in doc says the DLL is auto-detected and used if available.

Collapse -
Try this. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 17, 2006 9:23 PM PST

Open Firefox, click Tools, Options. On the Content tab, click File types, Manage. Make sure .wmv files opens with WMP.

Collapse -
Already tried this
by denjones / November 17, 2006 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: Try this. . .

"Open Firefox, click Tools, Options. On the Content tab, click File types, Manage. Make sure .wmv files opens with WMP."

I've already tried this, the .wmv files don't exist as a file option.

Collapse -
XP Home/Pro or Media Center?
by denjones / November 17, 2006 9:50 PM PST

The setup works just fine on my desktop using XP Pro but not on the laptop running Media Center.

Collapse -
by Owyn / November 17, 2006 11:28 PM PST

Where is "npdsplay.dll" on your MCE laptop?

I have it in

C:\WINDOWS\Windows Media Player

Both files are identical size of 364,544.

on my XP Pro Desktop. Unfortunately can not check MCE at the moment.

Collapse -
by Owyn / November 17, 2006 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: Interesting

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player

Collapse -
Windows Media Player plugin
by Owyn / November 18, 2006 12:15 AM PST

Security alert

Microsoft issued a security bulletin on Feb 14 2006 regarding a vulnerability in the Windows Media Player plugin on Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems that could result in remote code execution when using non-Microsoft web browsers. Affected users should install the "Security Update for Windows Media Player Plug-in (KB911564)" available from Windows Update. This will update the WMP plugin file npdsplay.dll to version

Missing plugin

A version of WMP is included with most Windows installations and the WMP plugin files that are needed for certain web page content are normally included. In some cases, however, the plugin files may be missing. To check for the WMP plugin, type about:plugins into the location bar. If there are entries for the files npdsplay.dll, npdrmv2.dll and npwmsdrm.dll then the WMP plugin is fully installed. If you do not see these files, follow these steps: "

Note: You will have to use IE to install the security update, if you can. The final download link in the chain puts me back in Microsoft Update scan instead of downloading the update.

Collapse -
OK. Used "Download" button.
by Owyn / November 18, 2006 12:32 AM PST

Instructions are misleading. There is a "Download" button in the body of the article.

Collapse -
Fixed but what the ****!
by denjones / November 19, 2006 12:06 AM PST

I did get the problem solved by following your link but it lead me to installing Active X and the missing files that were never implemented in XP Media Edition. I understand that the EU had/has a lawsuit against M$ but the edition sold in the US should be complete.

What a pain in the butt. All I was looking for was the same setup that I have on my desktop running XP Pro. I'll make sure to give a negative reference to all my clients about getting a computer with Media Edition if they are planning on using Firefox.

I really appreciate your help. I would have never been able to solve the problem without your help.

What still baffles me is the fact that I had to install Active X on the laptop when I don't think that's the norm.

Collapse -
I just played TomKat video on CNN without Active-X in FF2.
by Owyn / November 19, 2006 2:06 AM PST

It did pop up a video window in the browser but definitely not the full WMP.

Collapse -
Sorry, not there.
by denjones / November 18, 2006 12:16 AM PST

On the laptop (WMC) I have npdsplay.dl_ only in C:\windows\I386 but not in c:\program files\windows media player.

On the desktop I have both files in the locations you do.

Collapse -
Try installing security update on MCE
by Owyn / November 18, 2006 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry, not there.

See my previous message for links.

Collapse -
A little different
by denjones / November 18, 2006 9:17 AM PST

I've done all of the updates available and copied all three .dll files into the c:\program files\windows media player folder. What I have now is when I play .wmv files at it doesn't play them imbedded in the website but opens the full Windows Media Player. The video will then play.

I'm still looking to get WMP to play imbedded in the tab though.

Do I really need to install active x?

Collapse -
Don't think so.
by Owyn / November 18, 2006 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: A little different

Can you give me a link to a site you are having problems with un-embedded video?

I don't have Active-X enabled in my FF2 and have not had problems, that I was aware of, in playing wmv videos.

Collapse -
media player not working
by elanic / December 1, 2006 1:23 AM PST

Go to 'Start', 'Run' type in regsvr32 wmp.dll

Collapse -
You're a god. That solved all issues...
by denjones / December 1, 2006 8:34 AM PST

I thought I had the problem fixed but after your .dll, CNN now doesn't give me the message that it can't determine the version of my media player and just plays the video without incident.

Now I'm wondering if that would have fixed the problem with me installing all of the extra files and activex.

Since I'm still having trouble with the taskbar, I may just take it back to the way it was out of the box and start over.

Thanks for your help . It is greatly appreciated.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.