PC Hardware forum

Question

Playing Smooth 1080p Video

by muffimm / March 7, 2013 5:00 AM PST

Recently, I upgraded my monitor from an archaic 14" screen to a 24" 1080p screen. Of course, the first thing I did with it was try out some 1080p video. However, my graphics card couldn't handle it. It was so choppy I only got to see a frame about every five seconds. The same video played perfectly on my old monitor, so I don't think it's the computer's fault. I checked out my graphics card and found out that it was only a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE. Not exactly state-of-the-art tech. So now, I'm looking for a good, cheap graphics card to buy that will let me play 1080p smoothly. I really don't want to drop $200 for something that I will only use for watching movies in a million more pixels, though. I'm not a gamer and I honestly don't care about getting a top-of-the-line graphics card. So, I'm just wondering what's the cheapest graphics card that will at minimum play 1080p video smoothly. Either that, or just tell me the minimum specs I should be looking for.

Here's the basics of my system:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
RAM: 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 314MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0HX340 (Socket M2 )
Graphics: ASUS VS247 (1920x1080@60Hz) 64MB GeForce 6150 LE (Dell)

Completely upgrading my computer is an option, as it is getting a bit dated, but, like I said, I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money.

Thank you for your help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playing Smooth 1080p Video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playing Smooth 1080p Video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You have more than my old laptop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 5:07 AM PST

I have this Lenovo Y530 w/ an Intel 4500MHD video so it does have HDMI so that's nice enough to play HD with VLC PLAYER.

You seem to have same amount of RAM, similar CPU power and a semi-dedicated GPU so it should be fine.

My OS is the Lenovo supplied OS so there is no issue with drivers.

And if you are going to want to search out a video card, try that ATI 5450 1GB card for about 32 bucks.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
ATI 5450...
by Willy / March 8, 2013 1:53 AM PST

Graphics: ASUS VS247 (1920x1080@60Hz) 64MB GeForce 6150 LE (Dell)
>>>>>> you posted...

You have only 64mb of video ram for your video port. It's NOT going to work well covering 1080p and 24in. monitor as you already saw. You need at least 512mb or better, like 1gb of video ram(on video card). Take that info and find the cost you can bare. Robert offered the ATI 5450, but the 5550 maybe slightly more in cost but better. You could find one with 2Gb of ram and that's even better, plus both have HDMI port, what a match. The beauty of these cards is they will generally be supported by the current PSU, so you don't have to upgrade it. BUT!!! if you get some super-duper hot video card, then a better PSU should be part of the upgrade as well for long lasting operation.

When you get the new video card, clean out the dust bunnies while you have the PC case open to help overall.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Ahh, wait a second.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: ATI 5450...

I own the y530 and it has none of those "creds" yet plays 1080p without a glitch. It's smooth as it can be so it makes me wonder how high the hurdle is for 1080p HD playback is.

So the y530 on a 47inch HDTV at 1080p is doing fine here. Why?
Bob

Collapse -
Possible clue
by Willy / March 8, 2013 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Ahh, wait a second.

Depending on your mtrbd. and it can by default, provide added "video ram" from system ram. It just does and it has to be in some default mode to do this. I found this out, once the mtrbd. is fully populated with ram it lends that extra ram to video. I see mine adding up to 1mb or maybe that's a total of 1mb. I had a 512mb video card and saw the extra ram reported in the video section of properties. Once you select better video display(defaults should kick-in) it tends to get from system ram to support better the video output. I found this out by accident and happy that it does this as I use now a 23in. monitor.

Here is a possible explanation of all this...

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=386405

tally ho... -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks.
by muffimm / March 8, 2013 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: ATI 5450...

Thanks. The 5450 is my favorite out of the ones I've seen so far, and I think I'm going to purchase it. I just need to know if there's anything else I need to worry about before I buy it. Will the physical size be a problem? Should I crack open my case with a measuring tape just to make sure it'll fit? (Or is that only a problem worth caring about for big-*** high-end cards?)

Thanks for the help! Happy

Collapse -
Paper dolls.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks.

Don't laugh. When my friend was worried we cut out some cardboard to mock up the card to see if it fit.
Bob

Collapse -
PCIe 1.0
by muffimm / March 8, 2013 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks.
Collapse -
I read PCIe x16 so that's the slot to use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: PCIe 1.0

Where did you read this would not work in PCIe? Once in a while folk think it matters which version it is, but for now, it rarely matters.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.