PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Playing RCT3 - Keeps crashing

by usaswim / May 21, 2008 11:27 AM PDT

I recently got Roller Coaster Tycoon 3: Platinum, and sometimes (especially at night, with the fireworks), it keeps freezing. This happens regardless of how large the park is or how much activity is going on, whether it's 100 customers or 1000 customers in the park moving. I'm thinking it's because of my graphics card, and I've considered upgrading it. Windows Vista says it's because of the MJPEG codec, which apparently is the audio and video content.

I have a Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.00 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE.

Is it because of the graphics card that is causing the problem? Around how much and how difficult would it be to upgrade it?

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playing RCT3 - Keeps crashing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playing RCT3 - Keeps crashing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"GeForce 6150 LE"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2008 2:40 AM PDT

While it's a fine choice in the value PCs it's not your best 3D solution. Try it with the case cover off to sniff out if it's heat and consider finding a real 3D card.

Collapse -
freezing or crashing?
by ramarc / May 22, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

is your pc freezing (non responsive, you have to restart) or crashing (blue screen and/or restarts on it's own)?

quote: "vista says <i>it's</i> because of the mjpeg codec". what "it" are you referring to... the freeze/crash? codecs (COmpressor DECompressor) are not directly related to the video card unless they support hardware-assisted video acceleration.

regardless, here's what i suggest you do:

1) install the latest nvidia drivers using the scan feature of this site: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/ScannForce.aspx?lang=en-us. if that fixes the issue skip step 2.

2) roller coaster tycoon 3 was released long before vista and is not designed for vista. you can either install this codc package for vista: http://www.afreecodec.com/2059/advanced-vista-codec-package/
or configure roller coaster tycoon to run in XP compatibility mode: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/. one or the other may fix the problem or both may be necessary.

Collapse -
More information
by usaswim / May 22, 2008 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: freezing or crashing?

Only the program crashes, not the actual computer, and there has never been a blue screen of death. Vista says the MJPEG codec is the reason for the crash. I'll try to download the codec package to see if it might work, otherwise I'll consider upgrading my graphics card. Will all graphics cards work on my computer or can I only buy a select few that are compatible?

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
you have a pci-express slot
by ramarc / May 22, 2008 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: More information

so you can upgrade to new card. but a codec provoked crash will probably not be cured by a new video card. it's a software problem, not hardware.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.