Peripherals

General discussion

Playing PC games with LCD TV

by crgemmill / August 16, 2005 8:18 AM PDT

I have recently bought a sharp LC20B6E Lcd tv with pc input. i have no problems using it with my pc but whenever i try to play a game just as it loads up the screen goes blank and the message "please check pc input" appears. I have tried changing resolutions but this has no effect and i know there can be problems playing pc games on a lcd tv, but is there any way round this?
thanks for an help or suggestions!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playing PC games with LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playing PC games with LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WIld guess.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2005 8:21 AM PDT

Maybe you use Windows, but it's not evident. Try this if you do. Run DXDIAG. On the rightmost tab, click it then in the OVERRIDE setting change it to 60.

best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
no luck
by crgemmill / August 16, 2005 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: WIld guess.

i tried that but didn't work. i have read in the manual for the tv that you may have to switch to external output on the pc to view certain images. Could this be the problem? how would you do it?

Collapse -
no info.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2005 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: no luck

Not a word about your PC. Not even a confirmation it runs Windows. Why so few words?

Bob

Collapse -
Windows XP
by crgemmill / August 17, 2005 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: no info.

Sorry yes i run on windows xp, did not think that it was important, what else do you need to know?
also when am in the direct x diagnostic tool (DXDIAG) and test direct draw and direct 3d they work apart from when it tests it full screen then the screen goes blank with check pc input signal

Collapse -
I wish you well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2005 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows XP

I was being as subtle as I could to ask for additional clues. But sorry to hear it can't be told. With every post you make the following is asked so I don't have to.

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

My bet is the video mode called up by the game is beyond the capability of the display, but without details I can't offer any help.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by crgemmill / August 18, 2005 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: I wish you well.

thanks bob but maybe i will have to get help somewhere else. why do you need to know my system info. the computer plays the games fine but it is the screen which has the problem with any type of game.

Collapse -
Much like a mechanic wants to know the make/model of ..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2005 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

What they are to work on.

If you blindfold me, I can't see what I'm working on. Hey, that's your choice but be prepared to get flames on some boards if you try that.

"why do you need to know my system info. the computer plays the games fine but it is the screen which has the problem with any type of game."

For example some video cards have tools to limit video modes, some games have settings you need to tinker with.

-> Your discussion has many replies now but you didn't reveal the details and the discussion is now about why the details are needed.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by martini3377 / July 12, 2009 4:52 AM PDT

I have the same problem, I have a 47" Philips Lcd tv as my computer monitor.
Computer Make: Dell
Model: Dimension 3100
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R)CPU 2.80GHz.
RAM: 3.00 GB Ram.
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS
Hard Drive: 9.00 GB Free of 74.4GB

If you need more info, let me know.

Collapse -
Correction
by martini3377 / July 12, 2009 4:55 AM PDT

Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack One

Collapse -
WIld guess.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2009 4:58 AM PDT

Run DXDIAG. On the rightmost tab, click it then in the OVERRIDE setting change it to 60.

best of luck, Also tell about the game title. Some have settings to tinker with.

Bob

Collapse -
Override not found
by martini3377 / July 12, 2009 3:57 PM PDT
In reply to: WIld guess.

I ran dxdiag and clicked to last tab which is input for me. There was no override found.

Collapse -
Check all the tabs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2009 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Override not found

This is Windows. "Find the cheese."

Collapse -
found that and worked great
by pazza2304 / March 8, 2010 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: Check all the tabs.

thanks for posting help

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.