Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Playing my microphone through my speakers

by danjwalker / November 12, 2006 3:14 AM PST

I have a microphone and would like to play the output through my speakers. I have a laptop.

I know the microphone is working as when you go through the testing bit of "sound and audio devices" in the control panel, I can hear the output through the speakers with a slight delay.

The choices i have in the playback section of the volume control are: Volume, Wave, Synth, CD Player and Line In. The Recording are: CD Player, Microphone, Line In and Wave Out Mix.

I have only got a microphone input on my laptop and a speaker out.

Is there any way to route the microphone input to the main output on my laptop please? If the is some software to do this I do not mind paying a small amount. Freeware is better though!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playing my microphone through my speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playing my microphone through my speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Playing my microphone through my speakers
by EdTheUniqueGeek / November 14, 2006 10:03 PM PST

I am looking for this also.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2006 10:15 PM PST

There is no standard way to make this happen. Since it depends too heavily on your hardware it's best you ask the maker of your hardware if it supports this. Not all machines can "monitor" the mic input.

Collapse -
Re Playing my microphone through my speakers -See Matrix Mic
by Corporal_Hicks / April 18, 2011 10:59 PM PDT

Matrix Mic will pipe your computer microphone or webcam mic through your computer connected speakers so you can use it as a PA. It will also pipe the sound from your microphone to multiple zones (speaker systems in separate rooms) if you need that.
Download link
I hope that helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.