Samsung

Question

Playing media on Samsung Media Player

by goodyearmark1 / December 27, 2012 9:22 PM PST

I am using Samsung TV Model LE32N73BDX and Iomega Home network Cloud Edition 2TB storage device
The system appeared to work ok. All the films played fine. Then suddenly all films stored on the HDD (all in avi) disappeared. I have checked the HDD and they are still there. they are not listed anywhere in the Media player.

Can anyone tell me how to recover them

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playing media on Samsung Media Player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playing media on Samsung Media Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just an idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 12:48 AM PST

A friend had this happen. Turns out they had updated their router and it was the firewall in the router. Good luck!
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by goodyearmark1 / December 28, 2012 8:47 PM PST
In reply to: Just an idea.

Sounded like a good idea. Contacted BT (I am on BT Infinity). We turned of the firewall. No Difference. They suggested that may be problem with Codec required to play AVI files on Samsung Media player.
No too sure. MOV files from Apple show up but wont play. The AVI files just dont show.

Any other ideas from anyone would be appreciated

Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2012 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob

But we can't change the CODEC (video+audio decoders) so in those cases it often becomes the time when the owner learns about re-encoding content.
Bob

Collapse -
Ahead of you
by goodyearmark1 / December 30, 2012 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: You're right.

Thought this might be the case. So re-codes one of the movies. to WMV. Still did not show in Samsung Media Player. I could not understand why the AVI files showed up previously and played???
I have moved the files to try to tidy them up. wonder if they have to be in some sort of specific order?

Collapse -
Odd choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2012 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: Ahead of you

WMV is usually Microsoft's proprietary encoding and with over a dozen coding methods I doubt that will work.

AVI is just a container and what upsets many is that a firmware update might lose a decoder. The lost decoder has always been one that was not in the documentation so it was by sheer luck it worked before.

Again. AVI is a container. It has some thousands of CODECs today and is, IMO a mess.
Bob

Collapse -
WMV
by goodyearmark1 / January 1, 2013 7:10 PM PST
In reply to: Odd choice.

Most of the other video on the HDD (which are in WMV formatt) appear and play. The one I re-coded to WMV (Film) shows in the Movies folder of the Iomega HDD but does not show up in the Media player of the Samsung TV. The other video I refer to are mostly short video clips (Grandchildren and family events etc)

Mark

Collapse -
That's expected.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: WMV

If you check the documentation, files that can't be played should not be shown. There are other issues about how Samsung caches the folders and directories but I can't give all the solutions to that. Most common are to flip on the TV from movies to MP3s and back. On the servers we unshare and then share the folder again.

Again, the supported list is usually in the docs and what folk discover is other encodings may work then someday not.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.