Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Playing copy protected dvd's

by mwaurelius / August 24, 2008 6:58 AM PDT

My wife and I both have older computers (4 years or so) with all of the relevant updates to XP, home edition for my desktop professional for her laptop. Neither of us can get newer dvd's to play. Is there a piece of software we can buy that has copy protection in the coding that copy protected dvd's will recognize and permit us to play them?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Playing copy protected dvd's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Playing copy protected dvd's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here I use VLC PLAYER
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2008 7:03 AM PDT

Anything else is usually payware.

Collapse -
You might try the free codecs. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 24, 2008 10:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
if your pc/laptop is a retail model
by ramarc / August 24, 2008 10:47 AM PDT

it should have come with dvd software... usually nero, power dvd, or software from nvidia or ati.

Collapse -
Is this a 'Region' issue?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 24, 2008 7:14 PM PDT

DVDs are coded to play in specific regions of the world. Your DVD drive is also set to a particular region, generally the region where you live, although if you brought the computer or DVD drive from a different country to where you normally live, then that might explain the problem. Or, if the DVD's come from a different region, you will see the same problem.

If the DVDs are set to a region different to that of your DVD drive then they will not play. If you open the computer's Device Manager, find the CD/DVD ROM entry, and open its Properties window, you can check the Region tab and see if it matches that for where you are. You can change the region there, but beware, you are only allowed 5 changes.

If the DVDs are from a different region, then perhaps you need to obtain them for the region where you live.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.