Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

player with 'best' sound quality.

by rattie / December 28, 2010 8:17 PM PST

hi.

i realize that 'best' is subjective, however i imagine that some mp3 players have the reputation as having excellent SQ.

i'm only interested in listening to music with this player, not bothered with the video feature at all.

i'll be listening to pop and classic hard rock, and audiobooks.

i want it to have a lot of bass.

flash drive.

doesn't have to be big,4gb is fine.

presently i have the sansa clip+ and that sound ok. it is considered to have great SQ, but i'd like something better if possible.

thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: player with 'best' sound quality.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: player with 'best' sound quality.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would say;
by ahtoi / December 29, 2010 1:57 AM PST

start with the "best" pair of earphone (don't know which one, hehe), but it will go a long way if you don't already have one of those. Also mp3 might not be the best format to use. So try FLAC, AAC, WMA-lossless, WAV, etc. So besure the next player have those formats supported.

Collapse -
I hear you;
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2010 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: I would say;

I've heard such requests before and the earphones (stereo?) or head set makes more difference than I can shout about here.

I think I have 6 sets of earphones, headsets and bluetooth earpieces and at least one stereo bluetooth a2dp headset.

Not only is there fidelity changes in each set but each one is for the task at hand. For in the car, the usual bluetooth earpiece and in the gym either a Cnet earphone (yes it has Cnet emblazoned on the plastic) or some headset from a flight last year. During a flight I have some Sony noise cancelling headset and after that I'm not so sure what I have.
Bob

Collapse -
GETa Zune
by samayirx / December 29, 2010 4:28 AM PST

get a new zune

Collapse -
my current earphones.
by rattie / December 29, 2010 3:54 PM PST
In reply to: GETa Zune

my current IEMs are the creative 830s. i know they're not considered to be that great, however i've a pair sennheisers and the creative is leaps and bounds ahead.
still i'm happy to get some better earphones, so i'll appreciate any suggestions.

Collapse -
I've never used an IPOD tell me about this
by careerstrokes / December 29, 2010 4:14 PM PST
In reply to: my current earphones.

I've never used an IPOD or the like in my life. However, living in a small space has necessitated me packing up my CDs. Now I want to transfer them to a portable listening device.... but I don't know which ones have the best sound quality. I've heard the IPOD doesn't have as strong of a sound quality.... is this only because of the headphones? How do I know which players offer the best sound? Also, when burning CDs onto the computer, do you burn them at the highest possible quality? Does this make an audible difference? Thanks for any info for this technology challenged violinist!

Collapse -
How much $$$ do you want to spend?
by make_or_break / January 6, 2011 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: my current earphones.

Your question is quite the open-ended one...

Collapse -
Cowon
by make_or_break / January 6, 2011 4:35 AM PST

You want the best SQ from a source device? Look no further.

Collapse -
Cowon iAudio9
by jayson54 / January 13, 2011 11:44 AM PST
In reply to: Cowon

16gb on Amazon for about $150. The Cowon "Jet Effects" are hard to beat as far as music enhancing goes. The "MachBass" effect is perfect for bass-aholics. Enhances the bass without effecting the mids and highs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.