Samsung forum

General discussion

Plasma TV has 3 thin black lines

by vigothecruel / December 28, 2010 10:18 AM PST

I have a 2YO Samsung plasma, model S50HW-YB03. On the bottom section of my tv, there are three black lines running across the screen. These are three rows of pixels that are just not showing at all. This came on suddenly, and I don't know if it is an issue with the Y board, the ribbon cable, the plasma screen, or something else.

Any information on this kind of issue is appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plasma TV has 3 thin black lines
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plasma TV has 3 thin black lines
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Plasma TV has 3 thin black lines
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 28, 2010 2:16 PM PST

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your television.

Unfortunately, I have no way of diagnosing it without getting in and looking at it. I'd recommend having a service technician inspect the unit. If you'd like to have a service set up, call 800-SAMSUNG (US) and one of the customer service representatives may be able to assist.

Collapse -
by vigothecruel / December 28, 2010 2:22 PM PST

Will do. Thanks!

Collapse -
Having the same problem. Samsung basically told me to bad
by jgun24 / April 15, 2012 10:44 AM PDT

I have a 50 inch Samsung Plasma that has thin black lines running horizontally all over the screen. They multiply every week it seems. I finally got to the point with Samsung after sending them pictures and my reciept, that I wrote and email to the "CEO". Basically was told that my tv was a year past its warranty and they were not going to do anything for me. I see from alot of these posts that this is not an isolated incident, in fact I have personnaly seen two other TV's with the same problem. I am thinking of going to a lawyer and starting a class action law suit as this is obviously a problem with their product and not a simple matter of wear and tear. Is there already a law suit out there for this problem?

Collapse -
Samsung Black Line problem
by wrock911 / August 9, 2012 7:01 AM PDT

I've had the same problems with my Samsung 450 Plasma with the horizontal lines appearing, granted I bought it four years ago, but this is a TV.... is this the new life span of a tv?

After calling Samsung twice, they only said, it's out of warranty and up to me to service. Ref # 510-392-0420

My response is... this is how you don't run a company... if the motor and transmission fell out of our Honda tomorrow,, I'll guarantee you that Honda would fix it and wouldn't be jerking me around about warranty issues. Because, that's their product and their name is on the front and it means something...that's how you create a brand and customer loyalty

Now, with Samsung, you've got a customer, who doesn't feel valued and guarantee will tell everyone he knows about what kind of product Samsung is...

Disappointed, wish they would do something:(

Collapse -
3 black lines
by corleone29 / February 9, 2011 9:04 AM PST

Did you happen to find anything out about your problem?
I'm having the same problem.

Collapse -
fixed pn58b550 plasma
by addhyperactive / May 3, 2011 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: 3 black lines

I just recently moved and when I got to the new place I had the black lines as well, a few rows all the way across horizontally. I tried searching for a fix that wasn't $680, through samsungs list of area techs, or 1300, through best buy's geek guy's. I fixed it and if I had found out how, after I paid someone else to do it, I would have shot someone*.

Collapse -
This is what I was thinking
by drhowarddrfine / June 30, 2011 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: fixed pn58b550 plasma

Thanks for that. Same situation. I moved two months ago and am now starting to have a solid vertical black bar on my pn63b590. I was pretty sure it was going to be a loose connection or heat related problem since it goes away after 20 minutes or so. Of course, heat can make connectors move and reseat themselves. I saw a video where one guy "fixes" his by beating it with a bat which kinda reinforces the loose connection thought.

Collapse -
Thank you for your suggestion!
by mcyr5 / June 30, 2011 10:14 PM PDT

I took you up on your suggestion..My set is working like new! Thanks again!

Collapse -
You're welcome
by addhyperactive / July 6, 2011 10:44 AM PDT

Glad it worked out for you!

Collapse -
Black lines turned into a entire black screen.
by Kkrzykowski / May 29, 2012 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome

I didn't get around to trying to fix the 12 or so horizontal black bars. Now my entire screen went black. Speakers still work, inputs still work (I can tell because the right sound comes through the speakers. Bur no picture for any inputs or menus. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Service Time
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 30, 2012 12:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
What next?
by Kkrzykowski / May 31, 2012 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Service Time

Hi. My fears have been confirmed. The repair guy said he could fix the black screen easily, but that the horizontal black lines would still be there without replacing the panel. I will be contacting the next level regarding product complaints as this problem is way too common in a 2 year old tv. Hopefully I don't have to escalate and go the consumer protection agency route. Let me know if there is anything else I can/should do.

Thank you,

Collapse -
Will give this a try. Will never buy another Samsung..
by pm0123 / July 20, 2012 3:50 AM PDT

I will have to give this a try.

I have a PN50C450, about 2 yrs old. Recently black lines started showing up, I just moved about 5 months ago, so maybe this fix could work for me..

I do want to share with other readers my experience dealing with Samsung support though. I called the 1-800-samsung line a few times, after some useless trouble shooting routines, I was put on hold and then later cut off. Once I asked to transfer to an escalation line, (their Executive Customer Support line, which has been reference in a few other postings) It took several tries for me to get to this line as I was repeatedly getting dropped. Today I got through and am disappointed to report that it is no more help than the regular line.
I was told that the TV is 2 yrs old now and not covered under warranty (which I already knew). I then asked if Samsung was doing anything about this very common quality issue, (which is evident if you just Google Samsung plasma and black lines, and I was advised by a local repair shop to contact Samsung as the problem seems to be widespread and the cost of repair would exceed the cost of a new TV), I was told that this was purely a user's perspective that it's a quality issue... I'm totally shocked at this response, I guess Samsung must view multiple black lines as a normal feature in their TVs

After hearing that I asked if I could speak to her supervisor, to which I was told after 5 more min of holding, that no supervisor is available to talk about this issue.

The net of this is that Samsung does not care about their customers, does not feel quality and reliability is important at all, and does not seem to care if their customer never buys another Samsung.
So everyone reading this.. spread the word.

If the fix doesn't work I will have to buy a new TV, and it will NOT be a Samsung!

Collapse -
Are you sure about that number?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2012 4:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
My Apologies
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 20, 2012 5:38 AM PDT

Hi pm0123,

Thank you for letting us know about this, and I apologize for your experience, thus far. I'd like to request a transaction number from any of the interactions you had with any of our agents. I'll be forwarding this information on to our management, so we can investigate your situation.

HD Tech

Collapse -
transaction number for my call
by pm0123 / July 22, 2012 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: My Apologies

Here was the transaction number for my call. 5103794602.
Appreciate you looking into this situation and hope to hear from you soon.

Collapse -
Re: Transaction number for my call
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 23, 2012 1:26 AM PDT

Hi pm0123,

Forwarded it on. Can't give you an ETA for a contact back, but it's been passed along. Happy

HD Tech

Collapse -
never buying samsung
by bombay461 / December 29, 2012 4:04 AM PST

Had the exact same problem, customer service and executive customer service both couldn't have cared less...very rude and no help. I asked them why I would want to buy another Samsung if they only last 2 1/2 years. Their reply was why would you?

Collapse -
Any updates?
by karenleepatoo / October 16, 2012 1:51 AM PDT

Just checking to see if you've heard any updates on how this repair has worked for folks. I had a 59" that a friend put a knuckle thru accidentally and can't afford to fix or replace. Killer 'cuz it was only 11 months old.

Anyway, I'm buying a used 50" that has one black line through it. If a second line shows up I'll want to give this a try. I'm a little nervous although I have been successful adding memory to my laptop and other odd jobs.

Any down side to giving this a try?

Thanks for this post. Karen

p.s. I had a 29" tube TV for over 20 years. I'm very disappointed that the industry seems to have gone the way of throw-away products...I don't know who of us can afford that!

Collapse -
black line
by mutigerfan / November 5, 2012 8:35 PM PST

did u push the ribbons or the connections down?

Collapse -
re: black line
by karenleepatoo / November 6, 2012 10:26 PM PST
In reply to: black line

Not yet, I was hoping to get more information about any problems that could happen if I open it up to do that.

I will be sure to update this thread if I give it a try.

Collapse -
Having same problem
by S2THEM / May 30, 2014 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: 3 black lines

Got three lines on mine too ,saw on YouTube someone fix with click each line in place.!, will try it when I get 4 lines .

Collapse -
samsung 50" plasma - New!
by alv622 / March 23, 2013 3:52 AM PDT

samsung 50" plasma - New!

by alv622 - 3/23/13 9:12 AM

All i can say is stay away from samsung products...all of them! I bought a 50" plasma for my rec room in 2009 and it lasted 2 1/2 yrs! Black lines appeared and no warranty means your on your own...was told by a tech it was cheaper to buy a new one...(needed a new panel)I will take the hit but will never never buy a samsung product as long as i live and will tell all about this issue.I have a 40" sony bravia that i bought in 2008 and is still like the day i bought it!!! They say to buy any of the 3 S's sony,sharp,samsung...dont believe em!Buy sony or sharp or you'll be vincent

Collapse -
Time for a recall or class action lawsuit against Samsung
by 2505453978 / September 15, 2013 10:19 AM PDT

This is ridiculous....just started happening to my TV. If Samsung cant recognize this is a widespread problem only one way to get their attention. They better announce a recall soon of they may be facing yet another class action lawsuit for this issue. I'm waiting to hear from their head office advising me where to have it fixed...any mention that it is off warranty is insane when you have a consistent, widespread issue such as this.

Collapse -
Photos to addhyperactive's method
by uwobacon / July 18, 2013 11:31 AM PDT

So I followed the steps, but it didn't fix the problem. Below is a link to the photos I took while following the instructions. If I made a mistake please let me know so I can attempt to fix it. Sorry for the blurry photos, but I was doing it with one hand.

Collapse -
Same problem
by Snowhite024 / August 14, 2013 10:35 AM PDT

I couldn't fix mine this way either. I have the same TV. Hope there's a fix for this soon.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.