Samsung forum

Question

PLASMA CRACKED FROM INSIDE (spider web)

by hunterco123 / April 30, 2011 8:33 AM PDT

Hello All, My 7 month old 58" Samsung started showing a spider web with a crack from the INSIDE. Not damaged on the external part of the glass. I have contacted Samsung, this is obviously a mfg defect and they have not been responsive.

Anyone know of a class action lawsuit started on this already, its all over the internet, this spider webbing and failure - and they must have shipped a bunch of bad screens and now they are breaking with no fault..<div>
I had to send photos to the "executive" customer service, where they get to make a decision from my photographs. What a poor CS model! I just dropped $$$ and before I can even read the user manual the TV fails.

Any suggestions to get Exec CS moving on a replacement???

Thanks!

C
</div>

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator edited post per author's request. on 05/20/2011 at 9:21 AM PT

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PLASMA CRACKED FROM INSIDE (spider web)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PLASMA CRACKED FROM INSIDE (spider web)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
PLASMA CRACKED FROM INSIDE (spider web)
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 3, 2011 3:10 AM PDT

hunterco123,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your plasma.

So that I can see if your case can be reviewed by a manager, would you please post your transaction number from one of your phone calls or chats with Samsung? I'd like for one of the managers to look into this.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung CS
by hunterco123 / May 12, 2011 9:10 AM PDT

After some really bad samsung cs and a response from my poor photographs, saying "you damaged that, I know what damage is and you did this..." I was blown away. Then they contacted us and a samsung rep came out and looked at it today. He said NO WAY is that from us!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Oregon Attorney General
by hunterco123 / May 16, 2011 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung CS

The Oregon Attorney General recommended I file a complaint with the FTC as well

Collapse -
claim # 5001299197
by hunterco123 / May 14, 2011 12:19 AM PDT

here is my claim, # 5001299197

Collapse -
SAMSUNG POOR CS AGAIN
by hunterco123 / May 16, 2011 3:52 AM PDT

So I have the Wolf Video authorized repair team come check out my screen last week. NO damage externally whatsoever, yet SAMSUNG will not repair or replace the screen. SAMSUNG should back up their product and fix this issue.

Collapse -
Clarify our technical position
by wolfsservice / May 17, 2011 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: SAMSUNG POOR CS AGAIN

This is Wolf's Service Center replying to your post. We have inspected a number of these TV's. Our job is not to determine if there was impact damage. Our job is to look for obvious signs of impact and take photos and report to Samsung. If our technician gave you the impression that there was "no way" that impact occurred, we apologize. He may have just been trying to be sympathetic to your situation.

We have seen other sets where the customer admitted to us that the TV was struck by a remote (or something else) that have produced spider cracks that could not be felt from the outside.

We have found, and Samsung concurs, that most of the spider cracks are from impact of some sort. However, we cannot prove that for any specific case. In the case of your set, we did not feel external damage. However, impact often will not damage the outer sheet that covers the plasma glass. Therefore, our position is neutral on those sets that do not have obvious impact.

I hope this answer is helpful.

Collapse -
Ignoring a simpl
by cadmium48 / May 17, 2011 7:59 AM PDT

Hello wolfservice.

Collapse -
Actually you help make it add up. Consider this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2011 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Ignoring a simpl
http://good3dtv.com/3d-tv/samsung-and-lg-dominate-3d-tv-sales-world-wide/

Let's round that Samsung number to 50% and Pansonic's to an even 10%. That's 5 to 1.

Now factor in the snowball effect (Winter not Summer) and we have the makings of why you see such numbers.

Thanks for the numbers. This thread and others like it had me worried for a bit. Until you came along I wondered. Thanks again.
Bob
Collapse -
Fudging the Numbers
by cadmium48 / May 18, 2011 12:59 AM PDT

So, you get Samsung outselling Panasonic 5 to 1. But the crack numbers (still growing) show a 40+ to 1 ratio. Even fudging the numbers for people who may be exaggerating (which, to be clear don't agree with at all), we get 20 to 1.

Collapse -
No fudging.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2011 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Fudging the Numbers

This sort of doing the numbers has been done for years. You didn't take into account the snowball factor.
Bob

Collapse -
The snowball factor...
by cadmium48 / May 18, 2011 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: No fudging.

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">The snowball factor is a way of dismiss the actual data and doesn't diminish the fact that 80+ people have had their Samsung screens crack for no reason.

Collapse -
Hope this helps you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2011 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: The snowball factor...

Good luck with your efforts and for me it's clear now. Again, good luck.
Bob

Collapse -
Ignoring a simpl
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 18, 2011 6:40 AM PDT

cadmium48,

Quote:
First, no one is denying the fact that most spider cracks, in general, come from impact damage. I'm sure it happens to TV's every day and accounts for the vast majority of the sets you service with this problem.

Even our customers are making the distinction that the overwhelming "vast majority" of cracks on plasmas are caused by physical damage.

So it's understood why there's a process in place, then.

It's risky enough participating in a thread where the original post suggests class action - which is a direct legal threat - but I didn't call anyone a liar either, directly, implied, or otherwise.

If anything, I've been a customer advocate by offering to have a manager review individual cases. I'll continue to do that, but not in this discussion thread.

--HDTech

Collapse -
cracked screen
by dildads-24064583121585301397722400241327 / May 18, 2011 9:12 AM PDT

I would very much appreciate if you could pass my ticket number on. I am very disheartened by these posts along with others I have read on other sights. I too feel the same that if they can't prove that physical damage was done by the customers they should honor the warranty. I find it VERY hard to believe that the protective screen is designed to not show impact but yet it is not designed to protect the inner layer that cracks if it is hit by something. That just doesn't make sense in the world of physics...Think about it...the outside will take the blunt force, somehow magically not show any sign of damage but the layer under it will get a spider crack. I am also very upset by the 'lines' we all seem to have been given by the techs that come to our house along with Samsung. I have sent my photos via email to Samsung for panel review...I just sent them today after sending them 2weeks ago and now after my 3rd phone call today I was told that the original email address wasnt the correct "direct" email address. Why do I feel like I am getting the run around? Anyhow any help from you would be great.......#5001315051

Collapse -
cracked screen
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 18, 2011 2:34 PM PDT
In reply to: cracked screen

dildads,

I've sent that up as of this morning and requested that a manager review your case.

If others would like the same, please start a new thread for your requset, as I will not be able to answer more inquiries in this one.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Clarification
by cadmium48 / May 18, 2011 11:41 AM PDT

First, let me say, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and the work you do. You've helped a great many people, including myself on these forums and I am grateful for that. I am in no way implying that you personally have called anyone a liar or been anything but gracious and helpful.

Collapse -
Clarification
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 18, 2011 5:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

cadmium48,

Thank you. I had to make the point because if I don't, someone will read what you wrote and think that you were calling me a liar. Few things are harder to dig ones-self out of the rubble than a misunderstood accusation.

Second, noted and appreciated. But it's up there in big bold letters for all to see. I'm not saying people can't continue in this thread. But I'm not comfortable with the words "class action", and will be responsive to other threads that are missing that legal element. I'm all for free speech, but I have my preferences too, and will be acting on them. Dildads post was responded to this morning, and this post will be my last on this thread.

I don't have a good answer to your question. It's probably best that I not attempt one at this point.

Thank you for the kind words. I hope the work I do here can validate what you've posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
another case
by bradtk33 / July 9, 2012 4:04 AM PDT

I too have found these inner cracks on my TV when I went to turn it on this morning. It has been working great for the last year. Now it looks like cracks on the inner screen and nothing on the outer screen. No one has been near the TV to bump it or lean on it. When I press the power button, it buzzes and then turns off. I would like to know what Samsung has done for others in this situation. I don't have the funds to go out and buy another TV and would like to have this resolved.

Collapse -
Oregon Attorney General
by hunterco123 / May 16, 2011 8:50 AM PDT

I contacted the Oregon Attorney General today, they also recommended filing a complaint with the FTC.

Collapse -
numbers clarification
by sadtv / May 17, 2011 12:42 PM PDT

I made the post in regards to numbers. A simple search on cnet came up with 21 "new discussion" posts. Under one of those posts there were 64 new people. All with the same problem. I agree with you cadmium48 one hundred percent. I've also included this information to the WA AG today when I filed.

Collapse -
HD Tech support
by hunterco123 / May 25, 2011 9:36 AM PDT

Hi HD Tech, have you been able to research this issue for us?

Collapse -
Cracked Screen 1 month old TV
by jnagle4474 / September 20, 2011 10:12 AM PDT

So I just bought a 51' Plasma tv on aug 14th. Now as of Friday Sept 16th, I have a broken $600 TV.
My family was watching TV and all of a sudden we heard a wierd noise and then screen had black lines up and down and left to right. They started out smaller, but as the TV was on the lines grew, which from the heat this TV throws off Im nit surprised. days Prior to this my wife said how this thing as hot. We have a 46' LCD tv and have had that for 3 years and NO issues. Now all of a sudden I have a pile of junk, and feel after reading these threads that, even though we did nothing at ALL to damage this TV, we basically are the ones that will be out the $$$. I bought a Samsung because again I own a samsung and loved it. But if something doesn't come out of this, be sure that I or anyone else I talk to will know how a feel about Samsung TV's. Word of mouth spreads quickly.
So please do the right thing and fix the issue. If 82 people on this thread are NOT getting taking care of, then SHAME on SAMSUNG.
My Trans # is 5102179302
Thanks for your help with this, and good luck as well to everyone else. Thanks Justin

Collapse -
Cracked Screen 1 month old TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 20, 2011 11:19 AM PDT

jnagle4474,

Collapse -
PLASMA CRACKED FROM INSIDE
by mac2013 / July 20, 2012 5:38 AM PDT

I purchased a Samsung 64 inch model PN64D550C1FXZA from Sears June of 2011. The TV was great first plasma I owned but the plasma was running super-hot all the time. I called Samsung and asked why the plasma was running so hot and they told me that all plasma's run hot and that's how the TV is. Well on July 18 I had the TV on all day and was feeding my two boys in the kitchen when I heard a crackle noise from the living room. I thought it might been the program on TV so I finished feeding my boys and went around to the TV. The plasma had lines running through the TV. I had one solid black line running vertical and a white block that ran horizontal with black lines through it. I had green and red lines running through the vertical black line. I called Samsung and requested a tech to come out. I am still waiting for a call from them. We continued to watch TV on it because we could see the other half of the TV. The next day while getting ready for work I looked at the TV and noticed an internal crack on the screen of the TV. It ran from the bottom of the Samsung name all the way to the right edge of the plasma. I have no clue what caused the crack and I paid over 3k for this TV. I'll have to see what the tech says. I have extended warranty covering the TV for 3yrs. I have been reading all the forums about these cracks so it not looking good for me.

Collapse -
Plasma Cracked from Inside
by LifeWayRealtydotCom / September 13, 2012 2:23 AM PDT

This is amazingly the same thing that happedened to me. I called Samsung they ordered a tech service to come out, they took pics and suggested that it was an "impact" issue. I said "so with my entire family watching nickalodean and pop it goes out and then later to find the result is not 1 but 2 spider cracks and to assume that someone with all of us watching the TV together threw something to damage it on purpose?" COME ON!!

So right now they (service company) are in the process of submitting the info back to Samsung but said that normally they WILL NOT replace it. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! If so, this will be the VERY last time I ever purchase a SAMSUNG product. I'm a Realtor by trade and can assure you I will steer folks away from Samsung going forward. Will update when I hear from Samsung. -Concerned!

Collapse -
thanks
by Sam13330 / February 5, 2014 8:09 PM PST

Thanks to all who have posted. I chose to reply to this one because it was the one that I got tired of reading. I was within minutes of ordering a 51 inch samsung plasma from online walmart. A review there suggested I google samsung plasma tv thermal cracks. Glad I did. After reading about the poor from samsung I definitely will NOT be spending my money on their products, as this reminded me of a cellphone that samsung failed to honor their warranties on. Luckily that was only about 50 bucks. Bless you all for reminding me to look in my junk drawer for stuff with DO NOT BUY tags on them.

Collapse -
Plasma TV PN64E8000GF cracked from inside
by CrackedPlasmaPN64E8000GF / October 31, 2012 2:22 AM PDT

Hi Samsung HD Tech,

I am the latest victim of this ,

Spend over 3k for this TV, just 6 months old & extended warranty on this, nobody is willing to help us!!!.

I have the 64" plasma samsung smart tv, which broke down 2 weeks back.
In the middle of a movie, heard a popping sound, then after a while one more smaller one, a flash light & that's it.
Heard sound for 2-3 mts & it stopped working,

Contacted BestBuy, they asked me to contact Samsung, Samsung rep came last saturday(10/27), assured us that
sometimes when overheated the plasma panel cracks internally & it is a known issue.

He took the photographs to make sure, it was not a physical impact, he told us Samsung would contact us in 24-48 hours, nobody contacted, when I called in today, they mentioned the evaluation team has concluded that it is a physical damage & that they wont cover it.

This is so cruel & heartbreaking, whom should I go now, I loved samsung products, have a 32 inch led in our bedroom too,but Samsung wont help!!!

Please help me resolve this, i know this post is OLD, but somebody please please help me.

I dont know how to move forward from here.

JJ

Collapse -
Edit
by CrackedPlasmaPN64E8000GF / October 31, 2012 3:52 AM PDT

The model # is PN64D8000FFXZA, sorry about that, can you please respond to this Samsung HD Tech

Collapse -
Responding per your request
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 31, 2012 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Edit

Hi CrackedPlasmaPN64E8000GF,

The evaluation team is where I forward these kinds of request, and as you said, they have made their determination. I am sorry, but I can't do anything for you.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
CrackedPlasmaPN64E8000GF
by samsung64smart / October 31, 2012 4:16 AM PDT

Please help me, what should i do next then, please direct me to the next step ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.