Samsung forum

General discussion

Plasma cracked and Samsung not honoring warranty

by gwp026 / October 18, 2011 8:39 AM PDT

My 50" plasma broke (spider cracked in 2 places) while my children were watching a movie. I called Samsung since it was only 9 months old. They told me a local service tech would come out to take a look at it. Some kid showed up (late might I add) and did *nothing* but take a picture of the TV. They submitted it to Samsung who determined (from nothing more than this picture) that my screen broke from "physical damage" and it's not covered under warranty. I called Samsung to complain about this outrage. I spoke to the customer service agent and then her supervisor. I was then referred to their "Executive Office" (in NJ? I thought they were from South Korea.) I spoke to some lady there named Lisa who gave me the same runaround. They are offering to cover the cost of the parts but not the 200-300 in labor costs. At no time did they do any kind of inspection to the tv. Samsung's Engineering Dept apparently has done so much research into this that they are able to diagnose a tv problem from a simple picture. When I spoke with Lisa I asked her about the abundant pages linked to "thermal expansion" and Samsung tv problems. I also told her there are multitudes of people who are experiencing the same problems with their plasmas and Samsung is just blowing it off as physical damage and not covering repairs. I also asked her about the lawsuit filed in NJ about this. She repeatedly told me that "not all information on the internet is accurate." Basically calling everyone a liar. I warned her that I was going to file a complaint myself with the Attorney General's Office for consumer fraud. She told me all they will do is forward them the complaint and they respond in kind with the same information they provided me. Anyone else having problems with Samsung Corporate? Anyone, especially PA residents, want to file some sort of group complaint against these people? There basically calling us all liars. They're claiming that what we're posting on the net is not 100% accurate and that we must be randomly deciding to break out televisions to see if we can get them fixed for free. This is consumer fraud if I ever saw it. They have a widely documented problem and are not doing anything about it except offering to cover the parts. Now let me ask you this. If they seriously had no problems with these sets and believed that all these people damaged their sets, then why are they covering the parts in the first place? Sounds like a lot of money going out the window for them to be doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Plasma cracked and Samsung not honoring warranty
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Plasma cracked and Samsung not honoring warranty
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Crack PLASMA
by yosay / October 19, 2011 7:19 AM PDT

I'm to having his issue. I purchase my tv two months ago just to find out that there was a crack not caused by anybody. Maybe it might've been a ghost or something that cause that crack but surely it wasn't from my wife and I. I called samsung and took some pictures for them. Today i called them back and they said that I was the one that damaged it and it is not under their warranty. I told the person that was helping me that the crack was not external and you can totally tell that it was internal. She then said that an external damage can also cause an internal damage like that. It made no sense at all. If you are going to file a lawsuit against them then count me in. I'm sick and tired of being the nice guy. here is my email vueyosay@yahoo.com. Please let me know more about this.

Collapse -
by elitedata / October 20, 2011 5:22 AM PDT

Two spider shaped cracks & children watching the tv, i think that explains what happened.
If you hit your car windshield with a hammer, how do you think the crack would appear ?
And yes, diagnosis can be performed with a picture, especially when it involves a crack on the screen.
And yes, not all information on the internet is accurate as the internet itself is not "policed" for accurate information, does anyone really expect the internet to be 100% accurate ?.
I dont believe anyone that owns any appliance/product would purposely damage it to "get a free repair" as you describe it, how would that be "consumer fraud" as you say ?
If there are children watching any tv within reach, unsupervised, and their attention is drawn to what they they see on the screen greatly, do you really think they wont attempt to interact with what they see in a way that could obviously cause damage to the tv itself ? How would any child know that ?
You should be grateful that Samsung is reaching out to cover the parts for your tv, the display panel itself is the most expensive part of the tv.
Do you think Sony would be as so kind about it to reach beyond the issue and offer to cover parts ?
I think not.

Collapse -
by gwp026 / October 20, 2011 7:46 AM PDT

Well there is always one in every crowd. Time to knock this one down a few pegs.
First - I was in the room when it happened. The kids were sitting on the sectional on the other side of the room when the tv shut off. No one was near the TV at the time. And I keep a gate around the entertainment center for the sole purpose of separating child & toy from the entertainment center.
Second - There is always the possibility that the "physical damage" in the picture could have been caused by any number of different factors. To simply assume physical damage without doing an actual inspection (given how many complaints already exist on the same topic) is very presumptuous. If you read into these complaints, there are some who receive a favorable outcome from dealing with one person from Samsung over another.
Third - "Google" Thermal Expansion or Samsung Plasma TV problems and dozens of pages appear, mostly related to similar situation and similar outcomes. I understand not everything on the internet is Gospel but when the same thing repeatedly keeps coming up, you tend to give some merit to what is being said.
Fourth - Read accurately. Samsung not honoring their warranty when their TV's fail due to mechanical fault and not of the owner's actions is consumer fraud. That is what is being said. Not that we're all allegedly breaking our TV's and looking for a handout.
Fifth - It seems that everyone who complains to Samsung about this problem gets denied. They push the issue and Samsung throws some free parts at it hoping to make it go away. If Samsung truly thought there was no possibility of their product malfunctioning, they why give away parts like they are? That just doesn't seem to make sense. It's like a recall without making it public.

Collapse -
by elitedata / October 21, 2011 3:16 AM PDT

first - you should have included the additional information you now claim in your reply, in your very first post and indicated such information to the Samsung contact center agent you spoke with, what was the purpose to leaving it out ? it IS relevant information in making a PROPER determination.
second - if i send you a picture of a crack in my windshield would you be able to diagnose it any further if you are physically present ? if yes, please enlighten me on how, id love to know.
third - Google "anthony morrison millionaire" and believe what you see... that is VIRAL GOSPEL at its best isnt it ? how many suckers fell for it ? get the idea behind what im saying now ?
fourth - understand accurately, Samsung will make an exception on a case by case basis, but its generally favored for those who do not start viral threatening discussion topics about suing anything & everyone with nasty attitudes and threats when they call the contact center screaming with more threats and vulgar foul language. would you make an exception if i started to do that to you ?
fifth - of course everyone is getting denied, why ? its a direct result and combination of threads like this circulating all over the web inspiring many to "draw, shoot & kill before any questions of resolve has been concluded", when you have just a few people who start discussion threads all over the web filled with some exaggeration, lies, threats & dishonesty and it becomes viral, the herd of sheep will follow pursuit without question and validity - what did you expect ? SNAKEOIL at its best ?
one rotten egg spoils it for everyone, dontcha think ?
Plain

Collapse -
by gwp026 / October 23, 2011 1:58 AM PDT

This is my last resort, not my first attempt. After receiving less than satisfactory customer service from Samsung, I am putting my story to the street. I'm not one of these yahoos looking for a freebee. I am an educated consumer who knows when something is not right. This is one of those cases. I went through the proper channels and followed proper procedure when my tv broke. I made multiple phone calls and escalated this incident to the highest possible level. To this day I stick by my story that NOTHING ever hit that television. I am appalled that this is how they do business and that is how they are handling service claims. And I'm sorry that you seem to feel the internet is not a viable source of information. I hate to be the one to tell you but more people around the world, including news media agencies, use the internet to get their message out than tv, radio and print combined. Sorry if I did not disclose ALL the intimate details of my conversations with the Samsung agents. But they got ALL the information. It would take a few pages to describe my entire interactions with the multiple persons I dealt with by both phone and email. Not that it's any of your business. You did not introduce yourself as a Samsung representative or employee when you started blasting me, did you? I did *not* start some discussion making threatening comments. I merely stated my general case, my opinion (which in AMERICA i am entitled to),asked if anyone else had experienced similar dissatisfaction and if they wanted to form together to do something about it as a group. I never mentioned the word "sue" or any derivative of it in my posting. I did however reference a lawsuit filed (and won by the way) in the State of New Jersey regarding consumer complaints over defective tv's that weren't being fixed properly under the warranty by Samsung. That is indisputable fact. My posting has no bearing on my case. I've already been denied at the highest level. I didn't start bashing Samsung then make a phone call asking "please fix my tv". You are really quick to go off half cocked yourself without all the details. It almost seems like you're a Samsung employee (which by the way I don't think they'd want you representing their company given how you talk to people on here) just trying to sweep another issue under the rug like the rest of them. I don't know where you're getting vulgar or foul language either because I did not talk to you on the phone, you do not know who I am and I never mentioned that in my postings here too. For someone who portrays themselves as a Samsung employee or supporter, your conflict resolution skills are deplorable. You just try to be sarcastic but really you're just coming off uneducated. And in regards to your earlier post about Sony being so nice to "give" away parts........no Sony would not. They would step up and fix the problem, not put a band aid on it. They would recall the television sets and remedy the problem.

Collapse -
Rather than argue...
by techno-q / October 23, 2011 7:08 AM PDT

If you would post the transaction number of your call to Samsung, the Ambassador may be able to escalate your issue to higher authorities. Can't hurt.

TQ

Collapse -
elitedata
by dvi10 / October 25, 2011 5:27 AM PDT

gwp026 - Many of us here on the CNET forums have identical stories, including myself. elitedata is most likely here running interference for Samung. Possibly a Samsung employee or contracted by Samsung? Regardless, I find this person's posts to be disrespectful and confrontational. I agree with you, there is no need for this person to try and intimidate and belittle.

Samsung probably knows they have a big problem that's growing. This windshield analogy elitedata keeps mentioning (in several forums) is completely false. A friend of mine owns glass company; they've replaced hundreds of windshields. She told me that a rock crack on a windshield without any mark or scuff on the outside is extremely unlikely. Likewise, I find it very hard to believe that an impact hard enough to crack that inner plasma panel, especially through the protective outer panel, would not leave a mark, a scuff, SOME evidence on the outside!

I don't know about others, but I've always been matter-of-fact and courteous in all my contacts with Samsung. Yet I was met with the same denials as everyone else with every dept. I spoke with. That is until I escalated this to the NJAG's office. When they got involved, Samsung then provided me some relief; to their credit, Samsung DID provide a new panel, provided I paid for labor costs. But only after much effort and several months without a functioning product. I still feel ripped off having to pay anything out of pocket for what I feel is a defective product. Contact the NJAG's office - they will help you!

I own many Samsung products - monitors, phones, TV's, a refrigerator and a washer and dryer set. After this experience, I will most certainly avoid their products when possible. Remember, we as consumers have power with our buying choices and to share our product experiences with others. I'm posting here to hopefully help others - don't give up!

elitedata's profile:

Short bio: "We're here
publicly and assist people, particularly in warranty, and even some out
of warranty exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis. Few
manufacturers offer to do that, especially on a public forum like
Samsung does. Look around CNET at some of the other manufacturer's
forums. We try to help people. We participate. We reach out." - Be nice
to Samsung and they will be nice to you and make an accommodation for
you

Collapse -
elitedata
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 25, 2011 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: elitedata
dvi10 and gwp026 and all,

Please allow me a moment to clear the air here.

I was out last week in meetings, as was my counterpart who fills in for me here at C|Net when I'm out or on vacation.

That sentence from the bio is from THIS THREAD . These are my words, but they were copied and pasted to Elite's bio for reasons known only to him.

Additionally, he refers to Samsung as "they" in the last sentence. I refer to Samsung as "us", or "we". I don't promise anyone accommodations. The Service Center handles service issues, and makes those arrangements.
Collapse -
Thank You
by dvi10 / October 26, 2011 12:09 AM PDT

Hi HD Tech - Thank you for clearing this up. I'm certainly glad this person doesn't represent Samsung. I'm hoping the moderators will block this person for falsely implying that he or she does.

I've been following the various Samsung threads throughout CNET, and I know you've gone above and beyond in trying to help people. I'm sure some here have had successful resolutions to their issues because of your efforts. What happens in other departments at Samsung, that's another story.

Collapse -
Thank You
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 27, 2011 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You

dvi10 -

Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech
by gwp026 / October 26, 2011 3:58 AM PDT

First and foremost, thank you for introducing yourself and clearing the air. I has a suspicion that "elitedata" was not who he/she portrayed themselves to be. Nonetheless I still have a major problem. My TV broke, it's 9 months old, no one/thing hit it at the time it failed (or was in the vicinity of it) and I'm being told that somehow it broke underneath the protective coating due only to being struck externally, without even leaving a mark on the outside mind you, sometime before it "failed" and that it's not being covered under warranty. That's a bit more speculation than I can swallow. Furthermore, I've been in phone and email contact with Lisa Gatsch numerous times at the Executive Office who is of little help either. She offered me the same deal as the customer service representative, and her supervisor, to cover the cost of parts but not the $200-$300 in labor costs. I email her and it takes 2 days on average to get a response. I call and leave a message on her voicemail (the greeting message has been 1-3 weeks old on her phone extension). I have little faith in her at this point. She promised me an email explaining my claim was denied. Never got it. Asked her for it via 2 more emails and she finally replied exactly as follows: "I
am unable to provide you with any further communication then what I have as well
as our customer service has provided you. You are aware that Samsung is
offering to cover parts for your physical damage unit. If you wish to proceed
with this offer then please let me know." I have received nothing from Samsung customer service. I got a phone call from the service tech saying it would not be covered. I got verbal confirmation from Samsung customer service and from the Executive Office that it would not be covered except for parts. I never received anything in writing. I do feel I am entitled to at least that. It's no wonder people get so infuriated and are going to the lengths that they do. They are "feeling" like someone is ripping them off here. And the customer service end of it is very difficult to deal with. My TV has been broken for over a month now. I emailed Lisa yesterday morning and told her that while I may not agree with their decision I will accept the parts and have the TV repaired under the notion that Samsung voluntarily supplied them and not that I am admitting any fault on my own. Still have yet to receive anything from her. This is not helping move my case along and only compounds that frustration I'm already feeling. And reading what I've read throughout the net, it seems like there are a lot of people who feel the same way. I don't know if there's anything you can or want to do but at this point I'll try anything and talk to anybody who will listen. I loved my TV and went with Samsung because of their reputation/past experiences I've had but this incident and the customer service end of it really has be flustered.

Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech
by gwp026 / October 26, 2011 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung_HD_Tech

file # 3101068717 in case you need it.

Collapse -
gwp026
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 27, 2011 7:52 AM PDT

gwp026,

Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech
by gwp026 / October 27, 2011 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: gwp026

Thank you. I send an email on the 25th to the executive office in reference to my repair status and have yet to receive a reply.

Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 28, 2011 2:33 AM PDT

gwp026 -

Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech
by gwp026 / October 28, 2011 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung_HD_Tech -

It's unfortunate that you did not have any "good" news for me. Compound that with the fact that I have yet to hear a reply from the email I sent to the Executive Office regarding repair to my TV only elevates my frustration. I am as much of a fan of social networking, email and modern technology as the next person but sometimes there is no substitute for a good old fashioned phone. Given the fact that I've wasted almost a whole week getting no where with fixing my TV, is there someone I can call directly that can help facilitate a speedy repair? My set has been out of commission for over a month now and I need it fixed. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all your help and I know it's not your call on whether or not my claim pushes through or gets shot down. This experience has been a real eye opener, and now a wallet opener, to say the least. Nonetheless, thank you for your assistance. I'll give you an "A" for effort Happy

Collapse -
Social Media Options
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 28, 2011 4:16 PM PDT

I can't provide phone numbers. The last time we tried that, the person whose desk it sat on rang non-stop. And I mean: Non. Stop. And it became posted on sites, people said, "call this person". One person was helped and spread the number around, so everyone suddenly expected results from the new-found "hotline".

Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech
by gwp026 / October 30, 2011 2:31 AM PDT

Thank you. Let me know if you hear anything. I need to get this thing fixed one way or another.

Collapse -
Results? I too have a cracked Samsung plasma
by slasher9 / May 10, 2012 4:08 AM PDT

May I asked how this turned out for you? This same incident happened to us. Yet our situation was a little different. We were storing the tv unopened in the original box for 5 months while we closed on a house. When we finally set up the tv and turned it on, we heard a loud unpleasant noise from the speakers and it did not turn on. That's when we noticed the U-shaped crack that runs up the entirely width of the screen. I called samsung and some girl accused me of causing physical damage to the set and said they were not liable. When I said it came out of the box that way, she said that's the shipping department's problem, not ours. Best Buy said it's not within 30 days and to talk to Samsung. I haven't even gotten to watch it once and somehow, I'm getting the short end of the stick. Really?

Collapse -
New 51" Plasma Cracked Screen
by Dictatorsaurus / May 17, 2012 10:17 PM PDT

I purchased a brand new 51" Plasma from Target three days ago. When I got home, I found the edges of the screen were internally cracked. I called Samsung customer service and they asked me to connect it and see if it works. There was no image on the screen and it made loud buzzing noise. So they set up appointment to have service come over and look at it.

In such cases, how does Samsung handle warranties?

I would like to know what the options are. If Samsung will not warranty it I will simply return it to Target and get a refund.

Collapse -
I am having the same problem with my 64" Plasma
by mar4ever2002 / November 19, 2012 10:48 PM PST

The tv cracked while watching it and now they tell me it was from a force put on the television. This tv is not a year old and no one touched the tv. How do I escalate this further up the ladder? I paid $1800 for this tv and now they tell me too bad we are not goign to do anything to help you out with a problem that clearly is Samsung related. Can anyone help please?

Collapse -
been there ... done ALL of that
by Monsoleil98 / July 2, 2013 1:06 AM PDT

We have been going around and around with Samsung for over two years with the exact same scenario on our 60" Samsung plasma. My husband was watching the TV, heard a pop, the tv went dead. Samsung sent a tech, he took a picture, Samsung denied the claim, said it was physical damage, our fault ... on and on ... We kept going all the way to the NJ Attorney General's office and filed a lawsuit with a Lisa there who said she would contact us back and keep us posted as to the status of our case. That was over a year ago and i haven't heard back. We still have the broken TV sitting in the garage taking up space. We have since bought a new Sony TV and refuse to buy anything Samsung ever again and warn everyone we know about Samsung ... you would think it just would've been easier for samsung to warranty their product than to take the hit on their reputation and product name with all the bad press about this. What a shame because it was a beautiful picture on the TV screen.

Collapse -
did you get fixed?
by James_925 / August 17, 2013 1:15 PM PDT

physical damage is only response ppl get from samsung, instead of being the customers friend they will go the opposite way on this issue even with thousands of cases they can pretend it's not a built quality issue Sad

Collapse -
Same story
by sarfdawg / October 15, 2013 4:19 AM PDT

Chalk me up as another victim on this list. I bought the PN60E8000 last October. Made the call to Samsung. The first thing they tried to do was tell me that my warranty was expired, that I had bought the TV outside of a year ago. They wasted a couple of days by making me scan a copy of the receipt showing the actual purchase date proving that it was in indeed still in warranty.

Five days later, a repair guy comes out, takes a picture or two, and tells me my chances are 50/50 that they'll cover it. All the while, I'm thinking, "50/50 for something that I had nothing to do with?" At that point, I start reading all over the internet (this thread included) that this is a common occurrence with Samsung plasma TVs and their customer support.

Yesterday, someone on their "executive customer relations" team tells me that their "panel evaluation team" has decided that, you guessed it, it was "physical damage" that caused the problem even though it just cut off in the middle of watching it - not throwing objects at it as they would make you believe.

This morning, I created a video similar to one on youtube where a guy shades a piece of paper on the screen showing that there is no external crack and proving the crack is on the inside. I uploaded it to their website where my tracking ticket is located. At first, the executive customer relations guy said that the video didn't come through. I then told him that I was able to view it at work even though I uploaded it from home. Nonetheless, he wanted nothing to do with the video and essentially said the review team's decision was final.

Long and short, after going back and forth and several "brief two-to-three-minute" holds, they came back and offered to give me the parts, but they aren't going to cover the labor. I told them that I would NOT accept their offer. I wanted to find out exactly what labor was going to cost before I agreed. Come to find out that labor in home is $120, but if I take the TV to the repair people, it's $40. So, I agreed to the $40. It's sorry that I've got to pay anything, but otherwise I'm certain I'm going to have a $2000 paperweight. That said, I firmly believe it's only a matter of time before I have a paperweight anyway.

To me, their offer of covering the panel tells me that they are admitting that they are at fault, but they won't go all the way and just say it. I followed someone else's advice of emailing officeofthepresident@sea.samsung.com earlier today, but I've yet to get a reply. I doubt that's going to help anyway.

Nonetheless, no more Samsung products for me. I have phones, tablets, TVs, the works. Never again.

Collapse -
Samsung sent me broken television
by ronfai / July 21, 2014 6:25 AM PDT

I'm sending this to make everyone aware that I ordered a Samsung LED LCD 3D TV in 2011 for $1,800, in less than 30 months it was determined that the television panel is broken.

They would not even cover this in their extended warranty program.

They sent me a defected product and expect me to either throw away my TV or spend $1,300 to fix it.

This is a joke of a company, and their customer service is the worst I've seen. Do yourself a favor and pass on Samsung products.

Collapse -
Defective plasma
by jimreardon / May 18, 2015 4:59 AM PDT

From what I have seen in the field as a professional servicer is the thermal crack usually results from an electrical failure.
Usually it is cold solder connections on the Y sustain board that causes a loss of one of the drive signals to the Y buffer board. This causes an overload of a buffer chip, and it shorts out, dumping all the current to 1 row of pixels on the screen.
Depending on which of the X (vertical register) is firing at the time, will result in an extremely bright spot for a second or so until the logic figures that something has gone wrong, and shuts the TV down. Unfortunately the intense heat generated, and then the fast cooling after the power goes down is stressing the internal glass structure and resulting in an internal crack.
I have fixed quite a few by replacing the bad buffer board, and re-soldering the bad connections on the Y sustain, or Y main board, and the X main (or Z sustain as it is also known )
If the front or back glass hasn't broken, there is still gas in the panel and it will continue to work, with a visible crack, and usually couple of black dots where the phosphor burned during the event.
This might not be the answer you are looking for, but in my experience Samsung hasn't been willing to cover any panels that are even 1 day past the warranty. As a result I have a few TVs here that have cracked screens that other than that work fine, and in most cases you don't even see the crack if it is relatively small.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.