TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Pixelation in Panasonic Plasmas

by ananth_sankar / June 20, 2005 11:31 PM PDT

We just bought a Plasma TV (Panasonic TH-42PX50U), and I am noticing the following problem:

(We do not have HDTV feed, just normal feed from DISH network (Satellite TV).)

The problem is that on moving sequences (fights, games, even walking people), I see pronounced blockiness in the picture. When I pause the picture, you can count the blocks!!! The blocks appear even in heads that are moving (eyebrows are two lines with a blocky connection point, instead of a smooth curve etc.)

Please let me know why this is happening. Is it a function of DISH satellite feed? Will it go away if I view HDTV? Since there are only few HDTV channels, am I stuck with blocky pictures when watching TV (movies etc.) on other non-HD channels? What about DVD playing?

Prior to buying the TV, I had researched and found that such blockiness is more a problem with LCD, not Plasma.

Thanks for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pixelation in Panasonic Plasmas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pixelation in Panasonic Plasmas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Play a video tape.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2005 12:29 AM PDT

It should reveal if its in the set or the feed.

Collapse -
problem solved get the dish 811 receiver
by stewart norrie / July 4, 2005 9:46 AM PDT

I have owned my 811 for a year with my 65" Sony Hi-Def t.v. I got this unit for $49.00 installed and dish gave me a $49.00 credit The only thing I had to buy was a d.v.i. cable I pay $44.00 per month for basic the hi-daf package and VOOM Also this box has a over the air hi-def tuner so I thru up a cheap outside antenna and its awsome I receive 9 hi-def stations here in the bay area . If you want to get a stunning picture You must get the proper equipment and use the best imput which is d.v.i. or h.d.m.i I also bought a new denon 2910 only because it had a d.v.i. output and a GIFFEN switcher so I can switch between d.v.d. and my sat. box so my d.v.d and satellite look beautiful GOOD LUCK WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU

Collapse -
Stewart...Did you forget something?
by hlc216 / February 6, 2006 5:24 AM PST

Where's the snack bar?

Collapse -
by sears tv guy / July 5, 2005 1:46 AM PDT

almost all fixed pixel tv's such as plasma, lcd, and dlp suffer from pixelation. They basically have a lag on interlaced broadcasts. Since you are watching a basic 480I interlaced broadcast from Dish you will get a little pixelation. A progressive broadcast should be much smoother and only slight pixelation will be noticable if any. Put in a DVD and set the progressive scan on the dvd player and see if that helps and also if you have a panasonic plasma you should have a built in tuner so hook up and antenna and find a 720P broadcast and see if that doesn't help and your picture should be great with it as well.

Collapse -
Same TV same problem
by HDTV guy / February 6, 2006 3:25 AM PST

Hi everyone. I also have a Panasonic TH-42PX50U and on HD channels I have the pixelation problem when there is fast action or a moving image that is close to the screen.

Using Componet Video and a DVR recorder. What cause this and is it a refresh rate problem? I do not have this problem when using my DVD player only on HD channels.

Other wise this TV has a great picture!

thanks in advance for any advise or help.

Collapse -
only on HD channels.
by jcrobso / February 6, 2006 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: Same TV same problem

I have seen this on my CRT-RP also from time to time.
On some fast motion scens it pixalates, then will "catch up" in 1/2 a second. I feel that this a source problem and not your TV. John

Collapse -
by RoadRunner6 / February 6, 2006 6:42 PM PST
In reply to: only on HD channels.

OK, this will sound goofy but it is not the plasma, period. It is the signal source from the cable or satellite feed. Now the problem:

I can't remember the explanation. I know of this because a friend at work had the same problem, not a plasma. I just read an article that addressed this problem recently but I have drawn a blank on the solution. I think it had to do with the poor signal, maybe compressed or poor quality receiver/tuner from the provider that was coming thru the feed. I'll contemplate on this when I am relaxing in my "office". By the time I have to flush maybe it will hit me.

I have two plasmas both hooked up to regular cable without a box and never have had any problem with this.

Collapse -
Mostly caused by a loss of signal.
by jcrobso / February 14, 2006 12:02 AM PST
In reply to: ?????

On OTA sometimes it will pixallate or freeze for a fraction of a second. If the signal drop out is realy bad the screen will go blank.
If you have never seen this then your cabel is realy good. Thou art the lucky one. John

Collapse -
Panasonic Dilemna
by HighdefHoney / February 13, 2006 4:41 PM PST

Panasonic tends to max out their sharpness and brightness for out of the box settings. Try customizing the settings. Turn the sharpness down, and adjust the brightness down a tad. The problem with the panny's is that sometimes the 13-bit processor overdetails. If you're not feeding it detail, it will detail the noise in the screen, which just gives you a headache. Or, you could completely void your warranty and mod the processor with a 10-bit, like a buddy of mine did. The picture's improved, but he is right screwed if a defect pops up in the plasma.

Collapse -
Couple of things not mentioned
by sirroundsound / February 13, 2006 10:14 PM PST

Your set up between the box and plasma. In the sat menu, make sure you are set up for 16X9 TV, and if high def, make sure any settings for that are done. Not sure about this model panasonic, but most have various "aspect" modes, on the pannies I have done, one of them is called "just", this or normal should be the aspect setting, the moment you go to a zoom or fill type of setting you are asking the plasma to stretch and slightly distort the picture, it also requires the TV to digitally deal with the incoming picture, thus the digital artifacts. If all this has been set up properly, then as many posts above state, it's likely the source. Digital satellite uses compression (a lot of it)and on many channels can cause what you are seeing. I also would have to ask, how close are you sitting to your plasma? When up close this is something you might see in most consumer sets out there, but seated the right distance it shouldn't be so obvious as to be annoying.

Collapse -
Looks Like I need another reciever
by HDTV guy / February 14, 2006 12:17 PM PST

Thank you so much for your response.

The compression issue was also told to me by Panasonic through E-mail, as I think this is the cause.

All my settings through the satalite reciever is set properly and I am sitting about 10-15 feet away from the set.

I have had this reciever replaced once before do to a problem, but the problem was actualy with the LNB on the dish itself. The first Star Choice reciever did not cause this problem and when I got the second one this is when I noticed all this pixelation on HD channels.. Now that that the olyimpics are on I really notice this issue.

I think the problem lies with my reciever and hopefully a new one with fix this! I don't think the TV is at fault.

thanks again..

Collapse -
by Docwu / February 14, 2006 12:31 PM PST

Let us know if this is the remedy to your pixelation problem, as I am looking at this unit for my father's birthday and he has Direct TV... I like the reviews of the Panasonic Plasmas and although he has Satelite and does not need the tuner, he does not have surround sound, so the speakers are a bonus.

I am also looking at the Sharp Aquos LCDs in the 37" range, but will wait a few months to see if the prices continue to drop (his b-day is at the end of May)...

Any other models that I should be looking at under $2000?

I like the slim fit by Smasung, but they have yet to get larger than 30"

Thanks for all the great input, I have become addicted to reading this forum daily... lol

Collapse -
by HDTV guy / February 16, 2006 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: Please...

I just talked to Panasonic and they say that Plasma's have way better time response or refresh rates then LCD panels. Just thought I would let you know.

When I get my new receiver I will let you know if the problem is fixed

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.