TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

pixel response time -vs- refresh rate

by DaMizan / June 25, 2008 2:42 PM PDT

Is the pixel response time the same as the refresh rate? If not, how many miliseconds response time is equivalent to 120hz refresh rate?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pixel response time -vs- refresh rate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pixel response time -vs- refresh rate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
response time vs refresh rate
by Dan Filice / June 25, 2008 3:07 PM PDT

They are two different things and not related. The refresh rate is the number of times an images is displayed per second, so in theory, a 120Hz set displays an image twice as many time. Response time is how fast a colored pixel on the screen turns white and then to a color. A 6 millisecond response is better than 8. My Sony has a 2.5 millisecond response time. Plasmas don't really have to deal with this because they are phoshphor-based technology like tube TVs. Your second question can't be answered because the two are unrelated.

Collapse -
searching for a 46-inch lcd for ps3 gaming and blu-ray movie
by DaMizan / June 25, 2008 3:56 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply. So, for response time, lesser milliseconds are best, and response rate 120hz is best. I'm focused on ps3 gaming and movies equally. I'm considering #1)Samsung LN46A650 and #2)Toshiba TOS46RV530U. Any suggestions? ($2,000 limit)

Collapse -
Let's do the math.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2008 11:17 PM PDT

At 120Hz that pixel time should be 8 or 9 mS. Since it's unlikely your PS3 will output 120Hz then you should see 17 to 19 mS numbers.

Back to the REAL ISSUE. You should be reading posts complaining about LAG from the HDMI to screen. Look for "gaming modes" on your display and bonus points for seeing your PS3 connected to same display and playing it.

Let me be blunt. You won't be complaining about pixel response times here.
Bob

Collapse -
PS3 and 120Mhz
by Dan Filice / June 26, 2008 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's do the math.

Bob,

I wasn't sure about your post "Since it's unlikely your PS3 will output 120Hz". The PS3 does output 120Mhz/24p and it does output 1080p with the most recent firmware update. There is a setting on the PS3 that allows it to match the maximum resolution and settings of the TV, so on my Sony, the PS3 matches 1080p and 120Mhz/24p. This works with Blu-Ray DVDs just fine, but games may be another issue.

Collapse -
Bob, I stand corrected
by Dan Filice / June 26, 2008 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: PS3 and 120Mhz

Bob,

My brain was in La-La Land. My PS3 outputs 1080p/24 but the 120Hz is a function of my Sony TV and it processes the video from the PS3 as such. The PS3 does not output 120Hz, it simply outputs video from Blu-Ray discs at pure film rate and max resolution.

Dan

Collapse -
Good to know...
by sonuchi / December 2, 2008 12:08 AM PST

Aha! Just what I needed to know. I was never clear about the difference between the two and after reading this it helps out a lot. I recently encountered a customer while I was working who was asking about the refresh rate of televisions. I responded, "Most of ours are running at 60Hz." He then looked at me as if I had know clue what I was talking about. He said, "60? Don't they run between 6 and 8 or something like that?" I replied by telling him that that's based on response time, not refresh rate. His response was very unclear, explaining that his numbers were based on reduction of flickering and clumping of the pixels. Last time I recall, the refresh rate was the deciding factor of this, not response time. But he kept on calling 6 and 8 his refresh rate. This must be from him explaining that he was looking on websites where they showed response times and not refresh rates or something along those lines. This got me very confused as to what my knowledge was and to what he had just said.

But thoroughly reading this post has helped me quite a bit and makes me feel at ease knowing that what I've been telling customers isn't wrong. Thanks for the clarification!

Collapse -
thought this might interest you: motion blur illustrated
by jostenmeat / December 3, 2008 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Good to know...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.