Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Piping Music from Computer to Receiver (How do I do it?)

by Mark33611 / January 20, 2005 12:05 PM PST

I use my computer as my main music source - I've copied most of my cd's to it and also have a lot downloads from iTunes etc. I'd like to be able to run a line from my computer to a receiver and then use the receiver to pipe the music to other rooms in my house. So my questions are:

(1) What type of input does a receiver need to have in order for me to be able to run a line from the computer to the receiver and play my downloaded music through the receiver? (I have a Dell, and the line from the desktop speakers and subwoofer to the computer looks very much like a simple headset wire and the out on the computer looks like a simple heaset jack. Of course, I'm sure it's more complicated than that.)

(2) Once I get the computer hooked up to the receiver, can I just start the music player on the compuer and then turn the receiver to the right input? Do I need a digital receiver in between the computer and the receiver?

(3) Is there a better way to do this?

Any tips / hardware suggestions on making this work would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Piping Music from Computer to Receiver (How do I do it?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Piping Music from Computer to Receiver (How do I do it?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Audio from your computer to reciever
by luapo / January 22, 2005 12:20 PM PST

There are a few ways to do this:

1) Wireless to your receiver IE:

Apple airport express:

I'm sure there are many other (wireless music streaming device) made by CL, ADS, D-Link and linksys - Some do video also Happy

You can also wire to your receiver IE:

mini plug to RCA adapter and 3.5 MM or RCA extension from your computer to Stereo. Depending on how far you need to go.

You can pick these up at radio shack for a few dollars.

If you don't have far to go wired would be an ok solution.

Once your computer is hooked up to your stereo just choose the right input, start itunes and your good to go.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
Streaming your digital music
by sbconner / January 24, 2005 8:41 AM PST

Check out the Sonos Digital Music System- it is the full scale solution. You can even play different songs in different rooms, you are not confined to the same song in every room. Plus, it has a wireless handheld controller, so you don't have to sit in front of your computer to choose your music.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks a lot!
by Mark33611 / January 24, 2005 10:15 AM PST
Collapse -
Sound card
by wmcoverdale / May 18, 2005 2:17 AM PDT

I play all my MP3 computer music thru my Yamaha receiver HTR5280 for great 5.1 sound using my home stereo speakers. First, I upgraded my Sound Blaster sound card on my computer to play my MP3's in 5.1 stereo sound. I can't recall the problem I had due to the 20 foot distance from my computer to my receiver, but I also bought an external Sound Blaster card that woud accept my 20 foot Monster cable stung underneath my house and have a optical sond connection to my stereo receiver. I also download my music in a higher format to obtain CD quality music. I have finally settled on Musicmatch to play my music, which I upgraded to get its DFX feature that improves the MP3 sound. I burn MP3 CDs with Musicmatch to play on my car stereo's MP3 receiver.

Being an old fart I also have an RV. Since I usually csmp in places with no electrical connection, I have rigged a separate 12 volt battery to a cheap converter to enable me to play my notebook computer and my powered speakers (connected to my ear phone connection) to watch my DVDs. Because the combination of powered speakers and computer seem to drain a lot of battery life I stopped playing my MP3 music from my notebook and use a cheap portable battery CD player which sounds fantastic when connected to my powered speakers.

There is absolutely no difference between the sound I get and a CD that i can personally detect. I don't like CDs because I prefer to program and vary my own music.

I'm not a computer extert and there may well be a better way to do the above, but it can be done.

Collapse -
piping music to receiver
by wmcoverdale / May 18, 2005 3:34 PM PDT

The object is not to just pipe music from your computer to your receiver. This can be done with a simple RCA conection from the powered speaker outlet on the computer to your receiver. If you have not upgraded your MP3 sound you are exporting, the music you hear over the receiver will be very mediocre.

1) you should download your MP3 music in a higher resolution to enable it to play CD quality

2) you should take advantage of the sound enhancers most of the music players offer.

3) Soundblaster makes sound cards that converts MP3 digital music to 5.1 MP3 music so that your receiver can properly play all 5 speakers

Done correctly the MP3 music played on your receiver should be of equal quality to the sound played From your CD, cable, satelite, or DVD. Your sound can only be as good as your receiver and speakers are capable of providing

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.