TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Pioneer vs. Onkyo a/v receiver -- Which one?

by wlpncp / July 18, 2009 9:00 AM PDT

I'm trying to decide between the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K and the Onkyo TXSR607B. Any recommendations?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pioneer vs. Onkyo a/v receiver -- Which one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pioneer vs. Onkyo a/v receiver -- Which one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a tough choice.
by ahtoi / July 18, 2009 2:55 PM PDT

Which way are you leaning and why? What is more important to you..more power output or more output connections? I see the prices are very close also.

Collapse -
My reply
by wlpncp / July 20, 2009 1:53 PM PDT
In reply to: It's a tough choice.

Thank you for your response. I'm leaning toward the Panasonic. I have had good luck with Panasonic in the past and this model is highly rated at CNet. I am updating my system with new Klipsh speakers and want the best sound quality receiver (in the %500 range) to go with these speakers.

Collapse -
Good choice, and...
by ahtoi / July 20, 2009 6:14 PM PDT
In reply to: My reply

you really can't go wrong with either one. So enjoy!

Collapse -
by wlpncp / July 21, 2009 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Good choice, and...

Thank you for your help. Think I'll go with the Onkyo based on the post below from Mamontano regarding heatsinks.

Collapse -
Go with the Pioneer unit
by mjd420nova / July 19, 2009 4:50 AM PDT

I have had many Pioneer products and they have been very reliable. I've also found the Pioneer units are easier to get parts for when needed.

Collapse -
by mamontano / July 20, 2009 8:48 PM PDT

About 8 few years ago i bought a $400-$500 pioneer receiver. Don't
remember the model #, sorry. Anyway i hooked it up to 7 cerwin vega
speakers. When cranked up the receiver would shut down. Called pioneer
and they told me that they didn't know of any $1000 receivers that
could handle the cerwin vegas. Something about ohms not being exact
on those speakers. I sent the receiver back to crutchfield and got
a $1000 denon. No problems, I currently have those speakers hooked
up to onkyo reciever tx-sr503 $300 - $400 and have no problems
either. The heatsinks in the onkyo's and denon's are massive.
The pioneers where very thin sheet metal. Unless this has changed
i couldn't reccomend pioneer. I too was a pioneer fan until then.
Maybe you wont have any problems, just make sure you have a good
return policy if they can't handle the klipsch's.

Collapse -
by wlpncp / July 21, 2009 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: onkyo

Thank you for this helpful information. I'm not sure what "heatsinks" are or how to get that info on the Pioneer. The heatsink issue ties in to receiver longevity, not to sound quality, right? Maybe I should play it safe and go with the Onkyo. Is there some way to match receivers and speakers based on specifications?

Collapse -
heatsinks and isolation
by mamontano / July 22, 2009 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Onkyo

Heatsinks dissipate heat off of the amplifiers letting the unit run
cooler. Next time you're out shopping around look down into the
receiver through the perforated cover and you should be able to see
them. On my onkyo and denon they are extruded aluminum with cooling
fins where on the pioneer i returned they where very thin sheet metal
probably less than 1/32" of an inch thick. Also the better receivers
do a better job of isolating the amps and heatsinks away from other
components that could be affected by them helping improve
performance. If you plan on using small speakers it may not be a problem but my speakers are large. The 2 fronts have 12" woofers and 5" mid-range, the center has 2 5" mid-range, and the 4 surrounds each
have 5" mid-range book shelf type. They will absolutely rock the place. Have them custom mounted to the ceiling/wall corners at precise
angles to the viewing position. Awesome for both music and movies.

Collapse -
heatsinks and isolation
by wlpncp / July 22, 2009 2:39 AM PDT

Thank you for these details. Although I don't know how the Pioneers and Onkyos are constructed in this regard, I'm thinking that I should go with the Onkyo. I saw two models (TX-SR706 and TX-SR806) that have THX certification. Not sure how much THX would add to my satisfaction (the room is about 3800 cu. ft.). Do you think these two are worth $150 to $200 more than the Onkyo TX-SR607?

Collapse -
I don't know either, but...
by ahtoi / July 22, 2009 5:07 AM PDT

I am confident that a company like Pioneer wouldn't make the same mistakes twice. Are the 706/806 worth the extra cash? If you like your sound...LOUD, it might be worth it. I didn't compare all the fine details but the power output are higher for the 706 and 806.

Collapse -
best website for apples to apples
by mamontano / July 22, 2009 11:05 PM PDT

I don't always buy from them but this is usually the 1st or 2nd
place i go looking for information. Between them and cnet of course.
Like the hdmi input on the front panel of the onkyo. Good place
to plug in laptop or camera to get audio and video. I may upgrade
to this one.
Collapse -
shows internal view of my old denon avr-3802
by mamontano / July 22, 2009 11:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
that's a big room - may want to consider thx ultra
by mamontano / July 22, 2009 11:34 PM PDT

Read this at crutchfield's website:

"A THX Select-certified receiver is designed to deliver superbly cinematic performance in rooms up to 2,000 cubic feet. The standards necessary for THX Ultra certification are even more stringent, since THX Ultra receivers are required to provide a premium home theater experience in rooms up to 3,000 cubic feet."

Collapse -
by jostenmeat / July 23, 2009 7:45 AM PDT

Ultra is supposed to be spec'd for 3.2 ohm impedances. However, if one really doesn't want to worry about filling a large room with movie theater volumes, one might consider simply adding an amp to an affordable receiver with preouts. Of course, that's only worth it if the speakers themselves can do it. Most can't, I'm led to believe.

Collapse -
Onkyo vs. Pioneer
by HotDisc76 / September 10, 2009 7:14 PM PDT

Unfortunately ( it appears) the Glory days of Pioneer are over. I started out with a Sony Surround in a box, and it wasn't long until I took my time, did my research and now have an Onkyo TX-SR705. Yes, it's NOT the newest Onkyo, but for the features and the prices, ( in my humble opinion) you Can't go wrong with the Onkyo. The features, specs, build quality and reputation are above reproach. Besides, it's THX "Select II certified." Fantastic receiver. Just as a quick aside, at one time I had a system with over $ 6500.00 tied up in it, BUT, I did it buying things and eventually trading up. Keep watching news ads, E-bay, Craigslist etc. and by slowly watching and paying attention, I'm building a great system once again. Do yourself and your ears a favor, go with the Onkyo. But as we all know, everybody has their own opinion. Good Luck

Collapse -
by wlpncp / September 11, 2009 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Onkyo vs. Pioneer

Thanks for your recommendation. I wonder if the THX certification is worth it. (My wife doesn't like loud sound.) There is THX Ultra and THX Select, I believe. The room is about 3800 cubic feet. But, again, if the wife won't let me crank it up, maybe the 600 series will suffice. What do you think?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.