Car Tech forum

General discussion

Pioneer Nav Head Unit Problems...

by DigitalEl / September 26, 2007 1:06 AM PDT

I had a Pioneer AVIC-D3 navigation radio installed in my '07 Chevy Tahoe. They used the GMOS-LAN-01 "brain" unit, which allowed me to keep OnStar functioning, plus the wiring harness to keep my steering wheel controls functional.

OnStar and hands-free calling still work, however there's some glitch in the second it takes the system to mute the radio and initialize OnStar or hands-free.

In essence, when you push either of the buttons, the first split-second of audio is clipped. For OnStar, it's not a problem, because that begins with the musical notes. For hands-free though, it sounds horrible.

You get: "...tar ready!" or " ready!"

Is this a known problem with no solution or did my installer get something wrong?

A second question. They first put the nav antenna on my roof, running up through my windshield molding. I made them move it and now it's on my dashboard. The installer claims this antenna can't go underneath the piece of dash trim where the factory nav antenna would go (by the automagic headlights sensor). The install guide also claims the antenna needs to have a view of the sky. So is the factory nav antenna different somehow?

Any guidance greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pioneer Nav Head Unit Problems...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pioneer Nav Head Unit Problems...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"The install guide also claims the antenna needs to have a
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2007 3:03 AM PDT

"The install guide also claims the antenna needs to have a view of the sky. So is the factory nav antenna different somehow?"

1. That's a true statement. I can see many cars with the telltale GPS patch antenna outside the car on various spots of the roof.

2. To see the factory nav antenna you should go see it at the dealer. I don't recall where they put it on the Tahoe... But here's a picture where I see it.

Yup, it's center line of what the driver is and OUTSIDE!

Collapse -
Tahoe Antenna Location
by DigitalEl / September 26, 2007 8:01 AM PDT

Negative. The shark fin on the Tahoe's roof is the one used for OnStar and hands-free calling via Verizon. The navigation antenna is in the center, forward-most position on the dash, hidden under a piece of plastic trim. It's right by the little nubbin'-shaped light sensor used by the automatic headlights.

I was surprised my installer didn't put the Pioneer nav's antenna in this ready-made spot. They didn't ask and just stuck it on the roof. When I had them move it, they moved it to the dash, but on the driver's side.

Picture here:

Collapse -
As you show...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2007 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Tahoe Antenna Location

It has a view of the sky. I don't want to disagree with you but I was unable to find that patch antenna on other models. I just don't have a factory model you are conversing about to look at but the shark unit I've seen has pulled the duty of GPS on some models.

I think this clears that up. It must see the sky. Better with no glass but what you show will work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.