TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Pioneer Elite Pro FHD1 vs Pro 1150

by Spiegs / March 18, 2008 1:35 PM PDT

I am looking to purchase my first plasma TV and have narrowed it down to 2 - the Pioneer Elite Pro FHD1 and the Pro 1150. Both are under $2500 so price is not a consideration. I will be placing this unit in a 10' x 10' room (fairly dark room) and will be sitting about 8.5' to 9' away. I will be purchasing a blue ray player but most of my viewing will be upconverting my existing standard DVD collection and watching standard and HD cable broadcasts.

I plan on wall mounting this unit and using my HD DVR cable box and an external sound system so the absence of a stand, tuner and speakers are a mute point.

I have looked at both units side by side and so far, am learning torwards the Pro FHD1. I find the FHD1 to have a sharper image and better color saturation. Obviously having 1080P will not shut me out of the new technology.

I am told the 1150 has better black levels which should give better detail in darker scenes. I have not seen this yet but will be looking closely for this in my next viewing.

Is there anything else I should be considering and looking at? I know the 1150 is a newer unit and has the Kuro technology but it is only 720P. I may be kitpicking here but I want to get the best picture quality for the money.

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pioneer Elite Pro FHD1 vs Pro 1150
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pioneer Elite Pro FHD1 vs Pro 1150
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
do you notice any SDE?
by Pepe7 / March 20, 2008 2:23 AM PDT

At that distance a few folks may notice some SDE (screen door effect) w/ 720p (not necessarily or solely with a 720p Pioneer Kuro). I am not one of them, luckily. I wouldn't see the need to get 1080p at the viewing distance in my own HT/family room, but your room is more modestly sized that I would certainly factor it in somehow. Both of those sets have *great* black levels IMO, better than other brands but how much difference is there between two Kuros? YMMV, of course.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Get the KURO
by jmwc95 / March 21, 2008 12:30 AM PDT

If the TV you are talking about is 50", you would need to have x-ray vision to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p from 8-9 feet. I would say go with the KURO. You WILL be able to tell the difference in contast ratio on the two sets. Don't worry about 720p shutting you out of new technology. The video processor on the 720p set still accepts 1080p signal and displays it beautifully. The only thing you are doing is downconverting Blue Ray movies to 720p, and your eyes will not be able to tell the difference outside of 6' away.

Collapse -
Get the KURO
by Spiegs / March 21, 2008 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Get the KURO

Thanks for your advice. However, I did notice a difference in sharpness between the 2 units at about 8' to 9' away. The FHD1 was sharper (I compared both units side by side at Best Buy). This is what pushes me torwards that unit (unless the the 1150 was not calibrated properly). I am going to another store that has both units and compare again (this is a more higher end audio video store).

Collapse -
Difference
by jmwc95 / March 21, 2008 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Get the KURO

What you noticed from 8-9 feet was not the difference between 720p and 1080p, it was probably the difference between the calibration of the two units. When you go to the store, have them put in a Blue-Ray disc of a movie that has a lot of dark scenes (like Batman for instance). There you will see the benefits of the KURO. You won't notice the difference as much during brighter programming like sporting events.

Collapse -
Difference
by Spiegs / March 21, 2008 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Difference

Well you were right. At the second store, the 1150 looked better (more depth and detail) even with a HD DVD of "The Planet". Everyone at that store recommended the 1150. I should go back to the first place and check the settings.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.