Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Car Tech

General discussion

Pioneer AVIC-F900BT

by davgel2 / June 19, 2008 2:36 PM PDT

Hey i just picked up a Pioneer AVIC-F900BT and was wondering if anyone knows a way to wire it so that you can still watch dvd's and other videos while driving?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pioneer AVIC-F900BT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pioneer AVIC-F900BT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Playing DVDs
by Denham27 / June 20, 2008 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Pioneer AVIC-F900BT

The specs show that they are capable of playing DVDs.
But, I'm pretty sure that a TV Screen in the front of a car, within drivers sight is illegal.
If Pioneer was smart, they'd disable the feature to keep them from getting sued.
Who want's to deal with thousands of people saying, "Sorry Officer, I didn't see that car in front of me, the movie was just getting to the good part."

Collapse -
by davgel2 / June 20, 2008 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Playing DVDs

you missed the point

Collapse -
You can't
by joeyknox123 / June 22, 2008 5:23 AM PDT

I was interested in purchasing the same unit myself, and I don't think you can watch videos while driving because their is a built in accelerometer and gyro so it knows when the car is moving. It's basically a safety feature and for legal reasons because it is illegal to have a movie screen in sight of the driver.

I'm sure you could rig it up, but it wouldn't be worth the hassle you'd have to take it apart

Collapse -
Try sound domain
by run_va / June 23, 2008 3:58 AM PDT

You might have some people over on sounddomain.com that can help you out. see if anyones installed it in your car over there yet

Collapse -
thanks
by davgel2 / June 23, 2008 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Try sound domain

i'll check it out

Collapse -
Pioneer should clearly do something about the bypass issue
by Tonydean / June 25, 2008 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Who spends $1300 to watch movies in their driveway? No one ! We need to be mature enough to not get caught up watching a movie while driving. Can my wife watch the movie or my son from the back seat. And who prints 192 pages to carry out to your car to find the issue you are having. They clearly will lose customers with this release. If there was a way to return it, I would and get the Kenwood. you do get a real manual and it can be bypassed. AVIC F900BT what a joke !!!! Or shall I say PIONEER.

Collapse -
it's for legal issues
by joeyknox123 / June 25, 2008 3:03 PM PDT

If anything were to happen, some bonehead would sue them saying that it was their fault because it was playing a movie while they were driving.

It's to cover their ***, but you're right, there should be a bypass that is "at your own risk"

Collapse -
kenwood
by davgel2 / June 29, 2008 4:59 AM PDT

your talking about the Kenwood DNX7120?

Collapse -
Parking brake defeat
by Franco C. / July 1, 2008 12:58 PM PDT

To enable video and entering GPS address while the parking brake is disengaged, you need to do the following:

From WIRE SIDE of small white plug

-Mute wire (YEL/BLK) is in upper row, left pin

-Move this wire to lower row, 4th pin from the left (empty pin between 2 black wires)

-Ground YEL/BLK & LT GRN (Brake wire)

Check out www.avic411.com for more info on this unit.
Franco

Collapse -
thanks
by davgel2 / July 2, 2008 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Parking brake defeat

Thanks for this

Collapse -
does this really work
by joeyknox123 / July 2, 2008 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

does it really work without screwing anything up??

someone test it and then let me know haha

Collapse -
Yes it works
by Tonydean / July 2, 2008 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: does this really work

only takes 10 mins max pull the yellow and black mute wire out and place between the two blk wires . But Do this at your own risk. You will be able to watch movies while driving be careful. The only thing I found is that once I reset the unit I lost my TTS Samantha, I contacted Pioneer and they said send it in or take it back and try to exchange it,but the bypass does work.

Collapse -
is it worth it??
by joeyknox123 / July 2, 2008 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes it works

It really can be tempting to look down during some key scenes of killer movies but I have self control, I just want it for the people sitting in the back or for the passanger. I often take long trips so it would be kind of cool to be able to show that off.

I didn't buy the unit yet, I heard it was really glitchy and not as good as it seems, what do you guys think???

Collapse -
good unit so far
by decodex / August 22, 2008 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: is it worth it??

I have the unit for 3 days now. It's good so far. I have bought the XM receiver with it. The radio and XM works great, i don't have any complaints. When you first turn the car on, the radio or other AV source will play almost instantaneously but you will have to wait 5-10 seconds for the TOP MENU to load, due to the fact that the GPS is initializing. Also, during the first 30 seconds or so the unit is sluggish. Again, I think it is due to the fact that the GPS is initializing. The work around mentioned above, to get your DVD running while driving works great and is not difficult to execute.
So far I like the unit.

Collapse -
Is TTS really necessary?
by marinermama / August 28, 2008 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes it works

Hi
My husband is having the AVIC-F900BT installed in our car today and we want to get the bypass done so I can watch DVDs as a passenger. What is the TTS function in all this and if we lose it because of the bypass, is TTS really necessary anyway?
Thanks

Collapse -
easy one........
by djcjb34 / August 30, 2008 6:04 AM PDT

during installation your are going to have to ground the parking brake wire (it's either pink or purple, can't remember which color, but it should be labeled "park brake") don't hook it up to the black common ground. find a spot to ground it by itself.

Collapse -
Intelligent Voice Recognition
by raydee7676 / October 12, 2008 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: easy one........

Can anyone tell me how to use the Intelligent Voice Recognition on my F900bt as i cant seem to get it ti work at all. and by the way that wire trick to watch DVDs does work. i just did it ti mine.
ray

Collapse -
Pre-purchase question
by WtLtnin672 / November 9, 2008 10:11 AM PST

Hey,
I've been watching this for months. I have a monitor in the back and was planning on using this unit and it's A/V output to power the monitor. Does anyone know if this can be done? I don't care if the screen plays the DVD, I just need the output (audio and video) to work while driving.

Thanks for anyone's help,

David

Collapse -
Pioneer AVIC Modification
by Phil1001 / February 9, 2009 8:10 AM PST

Sorry,

Can't help with the dvd question but I can help if you are tired of that crappy volume knob. There is a dude that makes an easy to install knob that presses on the existing knob so now you can easily grab the thing.

Looks very professional.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21115&start=0

Collapse -
is entering nav data while driving really illegal?
by cubicleslave1 / February 21, 2009 11:40 PM PST

I own a Pioneer Avic N2 in-dash GPS unit. It requires me to be stopped, with the ebrake engaged, before it will allow me to enter navigation information. From searching various forums over the internet, all other in-dash GPS products such as Kenwood and Harmon Kardon also have a similar requirement. Factory installed GPS units, to my knowledge, also have this restriction (Toyota Prius). It has also been variously stated that this safety feature is required by law. Now an interesting fact: none of the portable GPS units have this restriction (Garmin, TomTom, Magellan, Moov, etc). They are perfectly fine with you entering nav data while the car is moving! So the obvious question is, is this safety feature really a LEGAL requirement, or is it just a "cover our butts" precaution by the in-dash manufacturers, put in because it is so easy and convenient for them to do so? And if it really is a legal requirement, why hasn't the law come down hard on all those portable GPS makers? This seems like an obvious question to me, but amazingly I have not been able to find it being asked anywhere through Google search. All internet forums dealing with the nav lockout restriction concern themselves with defeating it, and most offers of solutions also come with the warning that it is illegal to do so. But is it really?

Collapse -
2 Guys Responded with Helpful Info --- Look Back at Those
by halestrm2004 / February 26, 2009 10:36 PM PST

Many people who travel with kids or with a car full of people have rear DVD systems. The problem is that the front passenger can't see the rear screens and just has to listen with the driver. This bypass allows the front passenger to enjoy watching the movie too. As a driver, I wouldn't recommend watching, but it helps to be able to see the screen when you need to make adjustments or skip thru previews before getting to DVD menus. This is a hassle when you're driving and just put in a new DVD. My kid is too young to understand how to use the remote, so I have get the moving going for him.

You should look back at the responses from 2 guys on this topic:

Franco C. (7/1/08 7:58 PM) responded with the necessary steps to do the bypass. It's quick...takes 10 min.

decodex (8/22/08 1:43 PM) completed the bypass and says it works great.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.