Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

pinging sound

by artman / March 24, 2008 4:38 PM PDT

This is not a technical question. I have noticed that on on a few websites that I have gone to for information that a "pinging" sound is heard. I have run across it a few times and would like to know what it is. My spyware and popup blocker do not pick it up and I do not notice any ads on the sites that would cause this "ping". Any ideas as to what it is and why? It reminds me of a sonar "ping" in a submarine.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pinging sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pinging sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you give an example of such a site?
by Kees Bakker / March 24, 2008 6:52 PM PDT
In reply to: pinging sound

Somebody can have a look then.

A possibility: you installed a pop-up blocker and configured it to ping when it blocks a popup.

What's your browser (Firefox, IE?) and what antimalware, ad- and popup-blockers do you have installed?

Collapse -
pinging sound
by artman / March 26, 2008 5:48 AM PDT

the site that I went to was and I was searching for a song. Which I did'nt do because the "pinging" just was not right.
I was using AOL and I also went on IE and got the same sound from the site.
I am using AVG and Zone Alarm and also Windows defender, Spyware Terminator and AOLs spyware.
I tried changing the popup blocker settings and still got the ping.
I would just like to know what the heck it is? because I have never heard it before. This is something new to me. thanks for the help.

Collapse -
At the site you indicated ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 28, 2008 2:58 AM PDT

that "pinging" along with the pop-ups and pop-unders is scripted and is annoying but not "dangerous".

Collapse -
by artman / March 29, 2008 6:52 AM PDT

Thanks for the info On the "Pinging" as I said I never ran into it before and your explanation clears it up for me. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Same thing here. Getting a pinging noise
by annebush / March 28, 2008 3:20 PM PDT

Windows xp professional
1.81 ghz 1.96 gb ram
Cable connection thru charter

Getting same "ping" noise, this just started recently and don't know why.

another question: can u use an external hard drive for all or part of managing virtual memory for this computer? USB connected - If not, will a sd card work for virtual memory (fake ram) with Windows XP Prof SP2?
Thank you.

Collapse -
Virtual memory. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 29, 2008 1:55 AM PDT

Are you talking about the page file? If so, an external device will not work. You need an internal slave drive for that. Reason being is that XP needs for the drive to be there all the time. If a USB drive is not in place when XP needs it, you could be in trouble. I know, I know, you'll never unplug it. But what if it fails?

Collapse -
thanks but one more ?
by annebush / April 2, 2008 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Virtual memory. . .

Is there anyway (besides removing my laptop harddrive and replacing it with a bigger one) to gain access to additional memory. I need more ram and my system can't be updated! and I need more hard drive disk space (for page filing and programs)...baaa waaa please help me. btw..what good is an external hard drive if you don't need it for backup???
My System:
product name: HP Pavilion dv9000
product number: EZ453UA#ABA
Windows xp sp2
amd turion 64x2
mobile technology TL-56
795 MHz
1.96 GB RAM

Or can someone just recommend a strong laptop w/adequate graphics card to run graphics on? (I can spend 3500.00)
autodesk studiomax 8
adobe master suite or at least photoshop prof cs3 are the programs I will be running. Thank you in advance.

Collapse -
RAM= Memory, Hardrive= Storage Space
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 2, 2008 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks but one more ?

Which is it that you need? Replacing a hard drive doesn't give you more memory.. It gives you more storage space for files. Your "page file" doesn't require a huge amount of disc space anyway but if you're running out of disc space, get a larger one.

If you're running the 2 GB of RAM/memory listed in your specs, that's the max for your HP dv9010us computer and it should be fine.. The 32 bit XP SP2 won't do much better with more than 2 GB RAM memory anyway..

A 64 bit operating system will allow you to efficiently use more RAM but then the problem comes to compatibility with the graphics programs you're using.. There frequently can be driver issues as well.

If this isn't enough for your job, then try moving into the business offerings.. Just an example of HP's stuff:

HP Performance Notebook PCs

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Pinging sound. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 29, 2008 1:52 AM PDT

For both of you, XP will make noise on certain sites, even mouse clicks. For a test, mute the sound. If there is no more pinging, it's a sound generated from Control Panel, Sounds. When you find a site that pings regularly, open Sounds, the Sounds tab, and scroll down the list muting each one until you find the offender.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software.
My mini-Schnauzer is smarter than your honor student.

Collapse -
by artman / March 29, 2008 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Pinging sound. . .

Thanks for the info.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.