Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Ping by MAC Address

by jawatsonky / January 21, 2006 9:03 AM PST

I just hooked up a Wireless Access Point (WAP) I got from a friend to my home network & it works. Now, I've go to enable the security freatures. Unfortunatley, I have no clue what its IP address is.

I've gotten to the Manufacturer's web site and their utility to connect to the WAP does not connect and the "reset to default settings" procedure as described in the user manual does not work.

I've tried a bevy of network tools like Look@LAN but none of them discover the WAP. I can only assume the WAP has an IP addresss that does not live within 192.168.0.n

I only have the MAC address printed on the serial number sticker attached to the bottom of the WAP. Is there a utility that wil allow me to ping by MAC Address to find out what the IP address is?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ping by MAC Address
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ping by MAC Address
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The default gateway should be the IP you need
by SlushKen / January 21, 2006 10:49 AM PST
In reply to: Ping by MAC Address

You said that 'it works' and concluded that you now need to set up the security. I assume you mean you can currently get out to the internet, but you cannot get connected to the router itself.

If this is the case, just use the default gateway IP in your ipconfig output. It is the IP assigned to the router.

The answer to the question is you cannot ping by a MAC address unless the device is running reverse ARP.

Recommend if you are not getting a lease, reset the router device to factory defaults - it is easier than anything else, usually.

Collapse -
I need IP address of the WAP
by jawatsonky / January 22, 2006 5:20 AM PST

Sorry I did not make myself cleearer. I've had the D-Link router for ages and I alredy know its IP address, what I need to find is the IP address of the WAP so that I can setup the key. That's my dilema. I don't know the IP address of the WAP as it is not in the range

Collapse -
I need IP address of the WAP
by gfrenkel1 / February 6, 2006 9:35 AM PST

I've got the same problem. Find a solution yet?

Collapse -
Not Yet
by jawatsonky / February 9, 2006 10:39 AM PST

No one seems to know how - I've tried several versions of network tools and none appear to be able to help - all want to set upper and lower boundary IP Addresses adn that's what I do not have

ALL I WANT TO DO IS "MACPING 0006F404D35A" and have it come back and tell me the IP address.

Maybe I'm naive but is that too difficult?

Collapse -
Or it's been discussed already.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2006 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Not Yet
Collapse -
maybe this is what you need,
by Melati Hitam / February 11, 2006 5:00 AM PST

that the web based IP address for D-link...

Collapse -
How about
by drewu / March 2, 2006 6:04 AM PST

You set your address to something in the 192.x.x.x range with a netmask of and then run something like this to scan the entire 192. block?

Collapse -
Closing this Crufty topic
by yhdrsdg / October 3, 2013 4:55 AM PDT

This is a seriously old thread and should have been taken down years ago since there is no answer to the original question. When I was searching for information on MAC addresses this came up in the first page of results on google. People pay good money to get on the first page of a google search and I wonder how an old piece of CRUFT like this persists. I think the answer is that people keep clicking on it and going to it and get disappointed with the thread ending without a solution... so here's a solution:

I am assuming that you plugged your WAP into your D-Link router. When you switch the WAP on, it will request an IP address from your router's DHCP server. From a computer connected to your wired network, you then go into your D-link router's admin utility and look at the DHCP client table and the WAP IP address will be listed along with all the other connected devices. Enter the WAP IP address in the URL field of your browser and you should be prompted with a password screen. If you have reset your WAP to factory specs (as you have said) then you enter the default username and password and you are in.

If you want any security at all you will not run applications from the web directly to "help" you with security concerns as suggested above.

For basic security you should rename the SSID, reset the password, enable MAC address filtering, and enable encription (WPA/WPA2) using a strong passphrase. There are of course many other things you can do with your network to increase security, but it has been said that having locks on your home only keeps the polite people out. This seems to apply to networks also...

Collapse -
CMD Prompt script
by wbaldwin67 / June 8, 2015 11:21 AM PDT

If you want to get a IP address of a KNOWN Mac address it is possible.
First run this script (change the 3 this subnets if necessary to match your network domain)
Run this in the CMD Prompt:

for /L %z in (1,1,254) do @ping 192.168.0.%z -w 192 -n 1 | find "Reply"

It will ping every possible IP address in your network and get a "REPLY" if it exists.

Next run the ARP -a command in CMD Prompt.
Now you have a list of all the IP addresses AND their associated MAC address.

Use Edit --> Select All --> Copy
Paste into a work document and search for your MAC address. If its on the network it will be on the list and you will see its assigned IP address.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.