Storage forum

General discussion

Pin settings on a SATA drive...

by cgarrity / May 1, 2007 2:46 PM PDT

Recently I had my computer opened up and notice my 200GB Western digital SATA drive had pins 5 & 6 "pinned." On the drive legend, it states that NO pins are necessary for either master or slave operation. It further states that with pins 5 & 6 pinned, the drive is restricted to 150GB which Windows say I have.

If I were to remove these pins, would it effect the data on the drive? I would like to have the extra 50GB storage, but only if my presently stored data will be safe.

I'm presently running Vista Ultimate if that makes any difference. Also, if I went back to Win XP Pro, would that make a difference.

I seem to remember that one of the previous editions of Windows had a restriction as to the size the hard drive.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pin settings on a SATA drive...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pin settings on a SATA drive...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SATA 150 vs. SATA 300
by linkit / May 1, 2007 8:14 PM PDT

The the "150GB" is a data transfer mode and not a capacity limitation.

If you have an SATA 300 drive and your motherboard is SATA 150, then the hard drive needs to be jumpered to 150GB to function properly with the motherboard.

Collapse -
Size...
by cgarrity / May 2, 2007 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: SATA 150 vs. SATA 300

If the drive is limited to 150GB in the data transfer mode and NOT a capacity limitation, why does my 200GB drive only show a size of 164GB? Similarly, my 250GB drive shows a size of 232GB.

As I write this, I do not know if the 250GB drive also is limited by pins 5 & 6.

If I were to remove these pins, would it effect the data on the drive? I would like to have the extra 50GB storage, but only if my presently stored data will be safe.

Collapse -
There are two definitions of "GB"
by linkit / May 2, 2007 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Size...

There are two definitions of "GB". Nothing is missing--you are simply seeing the results of having two different scales for measuring the same number of bytes.

Many hard drive makers define a GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes.
So 250,000,000,000 bytes divided by 1,000,000,000 bytes/GB equals 250GB.

Many operating systems define a GB as 1,073,741,824 bytes (2^30 bytes).
So 250,000,000,000 bytes divided by 1,073,741,824 bytes/GB equals 232.8GB.

Similarly, your 200GB HD should appear as 186GB. You may have a hidden partition or a restore partition that accounts for the difference between 186GB and 164GB. See what XP's Disk Management tool reveals about the HD's partitions.

Collapse -
More Advice On Sata Drives Above Sata 150
by islandporgy / May 31, 2007 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: SATA 150 vs. SATA 300

I have a western Digital 74 gig (10,000 rpm) on my motherboard. Can I use what they say is 300 Sata Or A Sata 3.0 gig HD on my GA-7NNXP from Gigbyte. I know what the specs say it could use up to 150/MBS Data Transfer Rate
I notice a lot off new MB Say SATA 3Gb/s, Would I be able to use a WD 150 Gig Raptor Sata 150 on The new Motherboards.

I would not like to buy a WD 150 gig 10,000 rpm HD and not be able to use on the new MB.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank You Very Much

Wendell H

Collapse -
It will be fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2007 4:49 AM PDT

"Would I be able to use a WD 150 Gig Raptor Sata 150 on The new Motherboards."

Yes. It's backwards compatible. The only headaches I see are found with this on google.com (use these words)

HOW TO INSTALL XP ON A SATA HARD DISK?

Bob

Collapse -
Information Helpful
by islandporgy / May 31, 2007 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: It will be fine.

Would not be hapy to buy a hard drive today and when I go to upgrade my MB, CPU, Memory, Video Card, the end of this year and can not use any off my HDs inside my case. It is bad enough that the new MBs do not support IDE HDs. Just one IDE port and if you have IDE Rom Then you would not be able to use that port for a IDE HD.

Thank You For The Information:

Wendell H

Collapse -
"Then you would not be able to use that port for a IDE HD."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2007 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Information Helpful

That's news to me. We're not at Santa Rosa yet so I'm going to write that this isn't true (yet.)

Bob

Collapse -
This is the MB I would like to get

I only see one IDE port unless I could get an IDE adapter for the pci slot and run it from there, Then I would only have one PCI Slot left. The Cards that I am using now I would like to still use them in my upgrading system( TV tuner card, Sound Card).

The few MB I checked out that I am intrested in only had one IDE port.

Both off my Computer have two IDE Raid, One IDe HD, One IDE for Rom, and two Sata wich is great. I have three OP Systems in my main Computer and one storage (one on IDE XP), (One on Sata which is my fastest drive 10,000 rpm XP), (One on IDE Raid Vista) (Storage Drive is on Raid two).

I wish I could get another MB that is compatable to my GA 7NNXP or My GA 7N400 pro 2, But Intel and it would have to be SLI.

I know there are a lot off MB out there, I have seen some with more than one IDE Port. (BUT) They are nothing like this Motherboard that I want to get and that is limited but I could learn from it like I learned from the last two from Gigabyte. This is the one I would like to get. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188013.

Any other MB that you have in mind that is compatable let me know please.

Thank You Very Much:

Wendell H

Collapse -
Kinda lost.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2007 6:31 AM PDT

"only see one IDE port unless I could get an IDE adapter for the pci slot and run it from there, Then I would only have one PCI Slot left. The Cards that I am using now I would like to still use them in my upgrading system( TV tuner card, Sound Card)."

I think I'm missing something. Why today would I need more than one IDE port? In closing no system I've run into forbids using the IDE port to install and boot from an IDE drive.

But then again we have Santa Rosa around the bend.

Bob

Collapse -
Motherboard and Hard Drives
by islandporgy / May 31, 2007 9:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Kinda lost.

On my MB I have two IDE Ports 1 for Roms, 1 for hard drives, 2 raid IDE, 2 Sata. below is my MB and specs

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1644&ModelName=GA-7NNXP

If I what you are telling me about Sata, all Sata is Master (when I start up my PC I notice that out off all ports IDE and IDE Raid the computer list Sata as the Main drive which I have my fastest drive and it is my main drive).

When I switch from one operating system to the next I go inside Bios and to Advanced Bios Features and set what I want to be the first boot drive. If it is Sata or IDE or Raid IDE.

I only know one way off having more than one operating system on my PC, especially on separate HD.

I would always like to have two or more Operating Systems, on separate drives on my PC.

At first I had One XP, One ME and Vista even though ME can not recognize the other two drive, because ME is Fat 32 But NTFS can recognize Fat 32.
I could not get ME to run on more than 1.5 Mb off ram or Dual Channel. ME was to run programs that XP would not run, So I am running Me on a seperate Computer.

Thats why I am checking now to see what I can and can not do with the new MB I would like to get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188013

I do not want to buy any more HD for the computer I have now and can not use them on the new MB.

I hope I made my issue a little clearer:

Thank You Very Much:

Wendell H

Collapse -
So you want to recycle. Here's the adapters you need.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2007 2:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
In SATA, all drives are masters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2007 9:12 PM PDT

It takes a while to sink in why that is so.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.