Download.com Site Feedback forum

Alert

Piggie back software from downloads

by jamesr. / May 14, 2013 8:35 PM PDT

adds adware and is a pain in the neck. some of that i got is infected with malware. its a sad deal for me i always came to downloads.com for its software. but now its a pain to deal with add on software. wish they just removed all add on software.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Piggie back software from downloads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Piggie back software from downloads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We apologize for any inconvenience here
by CNETSupport / May 15, 2013 6:51 AM PDT

All products on CNET Download.com are downloaded, installed, and scanned for viruses and malware before being published in our library. Many software titles on our site do use the CNET Download.com Installer, an ad-supported stub installer or "download manager" that does offer additional, optional third party applications during the installation process.

All offers included in the Installer are also tested to make sure that they conform with our security policies prohibiting malware, and to ensure that they may be declined or opted-out of during the download.

You should be able to uninstall any unwanted items via your computer's Add/Remove Programs panel, but if for some reason that does not work, you might want to try one of the programs listed in our uninstaller software category:

http://download.cnet.com/windows/uninstallers/

And instructions for resetting your browser(s), if you need them, are here:

http://download.cnet.com/2701-2023_4-2107.html

If this was an issue with the CNET Download.com Installer, in future you can download without using the Installer by clicking the Direct Download Link for Installer Enabled items. Since you have a CNET account, you can also completely disable the Installer for the site.

Read more about those options here:

http://t.cnet.com/15t7hv0

For more detailed information on the CNET Download.com Installer, please visit the following resource:

http://t.cnet.com/SB3tiC

If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact the support team directly by filling out the form on the following page:

http://t.cnet.com/PS6r5c

Regards,
Jen
CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
You know, this would all be great if it was true.
by heidiquinn / May 31, 2013 1:57 AM PDT

I have trusted Cnet for over 10 years, and loved it. Now I can't even get CCleaner without about 10 additional hijacks or adware, no matter what options selected. And why so many uninstaller options for your users?
You know where I can get a clean download? ZDNet.

See ya, Cnet.

Heidi Quinn

Collapse -
Correction to Post about CCleaner above.
by heidiquinn / May 31, 2013 9:36 AM PDT

The software was Advanced System Care, not CCleaner as I stated. CCleaner remains clean, But just for fun, here is what you get with Iobit software for Advanced System Care without an option to decline:
1. Iobit Apps toolbar by "Spigot".
2. Your search engine defaults to Yahoo, with search settings alerts of any attempts to change it.
3. Also installs of adware programs "Savings Slider, domain error asst, E-bay shopping "assistant", Amazon shopping assistant, Savings slider adware when visiting shopping sites.
4. AND for extra fun, you will get your homepage and start-up options changed to Yahoo.
OR, you could download the same program from ZDNet and it is clean.
Has Robert Murdoch who bought Cnet issued a memo or something? What the hell happened to you guys?

Collapse -
You wasted my time
by graxspoo / November 4, 2013 3:37 PM PST

I just spent a half hour figuring out why Flash was showing up on every web page, figuring out how to de-install the malware your installer foisted on me, then worrying that my credit card information and site passwords had been compromised and researching said malware until I finally realized when it must have gotten installed.

THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE

I will never Never NEVER download anything from CNET again as long as this policy is in place. I trusted CNET and often visited CNET sites and read CNET articles, but now I know you guys are just a bunch of sleezebags. It's a shame. Maybe you got a new CEO or maybe he's been smoking crack with Toronto Mayor Rob Ford. Whatever the reason, the **** has got to be made right ASAP or you guys are in the toilet.

Collapse -
Piggy-back is a HUGE disservice to your loyal customers.
by Warlocks77 / May 27, 2013 3:08 PM PDT

Piggy-back is a HUGE disservice to your loyal customers.

I am withdrawing from all things CNET. I just thought I would take a flyer on the software you advertised that would increase my typing skills. Little did I know how many landmines were in the path you laid out for me. And the blatant trickery involved is downright embarrassing for you.

First you say that the "recommended" path would involve changing my homepage, search engine, etc...... And only "ADVANCED USERS" can be trusted to bypass downloading this bloatware. Second; I am enticed to download "REAL Something or Other" which is presented in such a way that You hardly believe I don't want it. Third: you put up this bright green lettered and bordered box to "ACCEPT" and then in very faint grey is a much smaller box in which is written in very small letters "decline".

The whole time I am asking myself "What in the hell happened to CNET?? These just can't be the same people that built a site that I loyally read and followed their recommendations."

Other thoughts flooded in, such as: "I used to trust these people to steer me clear of B.S. software and now they are involved in this kind of CRAPOLA!!".

Please, Back Up, Be the Site that landed people's loyalty and caused people like me to feel good turning others onto your site. Do NOT run this site into the ground!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.