Computer Help forum

General discussion

Pictures won't open- Windows

by Suzanna3 / February 21, 2010 4:01 AM PST

I have pictures that have been emailed to me from friends, or pictures that have been sent to me through facebook, and I cannot open them. I save them to my pictures, and they are there, but the thumbnail is an icon that looks like a sailboat with a sunset, or it is a small computer screen looking icon with 6 little pictures in the square. When i try to find the right program to open the file, none of them work. I get so frustrated. Are my browser settings wrong? Or do I need to download an additional program to open these pictures?
I am 64 and no very little. How do i even change my browser settings?

Thanks if you can help at all.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pictures won't open- Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pictures won't open- Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We need to know the extension . . .
by Coryphaeus / February 21, 2010 4:06 AM PST

File extensions determine what program open them. Example:

The question marks are the extension. Common picture extension are .jpg, .gif, .bmp. If you can determine the extension we can tell what program will open them. Generally these listed are opened by Windows Picture viewer or Internet Explorer.

Let us know.

Collapse -
pictures won't open : (
by Suzanna3 / February 21, 2010 7:28 AM PST

Well, the ones with the sailboat icon, do have .jpeg at the end. They still will not open with Windows Picture Viewer.

when I click on properties and look at a different one- it just says file. It doesn't have a file extension
one of them has s(4.0KB) after a long string of numbers?

Collapse -
The jpeg files should open in Internet Explorer ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 21, 2010 11:02 AM PST

even if there is a file association problem. Try dragging the file onto an open Internet Explorer browser window and see what happens.

Something else you can do is download IrfanView from this link and see if it will open the files.

IrfanView recognizes file types by file header information rather than just file extension. Irfanview will also pop up messages if the extension is wrong for the file type and ask if you want the file re-named with the proper file extension.

Collapse -
by Suzanna3 / February 22, 2010 6:23 AM PST

I have downloaded the Irfanview, that you recommended and reg work that was recommended to me by someone else. However, neither are working. I also tried to drag the photo and that doesnt work either. I have noticed though that all the photos that aren't working are saved as art files or bmp files. The jpeg files that I have saved work and I can see them. However, I am not sure how to change my already saved files to jpeg and I am not sure if that would work either. I tried to save a picture from the internet just now and the only options that I had were to save it as an art or bmp file. It doesnt even give me the option of saving the file as a jpeg. Please help! I appreciate your help thus far but I am still struggling.
Thank you: Suzanna 3

Collapse -
Re: jpeg
by Kees Bakker / February 22, 2010 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: jpeg

Irfanview surely does open .bmp-files. MS Paint (included in Windows) opens them also. In fact, you can use MS Paint to open as .bmp and save as .jpg.

.art is more difficult.^A shows exactly 20 different format that all call themselves art. Personally, I've never downloaded any such file. Can you provide a link for the download?

Collapse -
That new info offers more suggestions.
by Edward ODaniel / February 22, 2010 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: jpeg

Reading what you just wrote I am betting that many of the files you are having problems with originated with someone using AOL for their ISP.

Quite a while back the rather proprietary AOL decided to use the .art graphic file format because it is highly compressed and thus the picture is delivered more rapidly.

Internet Explorer QUIT SUPPORTING the .art format a few years back because -- "Vulnerability in ART Image Rendering Could Allow Remote Code Execution (918439)"

An application called acdsee does handle the AOL art format -

You could try the application but it is not free so you would have to pay for it after the trial period -

What I would really suggest is a tried and true work-a-round. Contact the people sending you the unusable files and have them save them in a standard JPG or PNG format and then ZIP them (not for the compression but so AOL servers will not convert them back to .art) and ATTACH them to the emails.

Collapse -
Art File
by Suzanna3 / February 22, 2010 7:38 AM PST

I understand what you are suggesting. However, these are pictures that I saved myself onto my computer. It will not allow me to save my pictures any other way than the art file. I have aol currently and still use it so I believe what you are saying is very true. However, I can't save anything to my computer as a jpeg. It will not give me the option at all. How do I get my computer to offer me the option of saving a picture to my computer as a JPG file?

Collapse -
RE: saving as jpeg
by Kees Bakker / February 22, 2010 4:20 PM PST
In reply to: Art File

Computers don't save files. Only programs do. Or maybe I should even say: humans do, using programs. All you've got to do to be able to save a picture as jpg is to use the right program. Somehow it seems you don't.

Please tell where such pictures come from, and what program you use to view and save. We might be able to tell you an alternative.

Collapse -
Try clearing both your browser ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 23, 2010 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: Art File

HISTORY and your browser Temp Internet Files cache.

Sometimes corruption takes place within the caches and does cause a limitation on options to save graphics as. At other times (as with the *.art files) if the application (browser or email client) does not "understand" a file format it will only offer an option to save in that format (again, the *.art files).

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.