TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Picture too big for screen

by doowopper / March 31, 2007 5:31 AM PDT

I have a SONY 42", rear projection, Wega, LCD tv (KDF-42WE655). I am using it with Road Runner and component connections. When I watch a program broadcast in HD, the picture is too big for the screen in the horizontal direction - that is, when words appear on the right or left sides of the screen, part of the words are off the screen on the right and left sides. I use the "Full" screen mode setting to watch a 16:9 HD show. The only other screen mode settings available for a 16:9 HD picture are Zoom and Wide Zoom which make the problem worse. The only adjustment I found on the tv menu that seemed relevant is "Offscreen." However, that adjustment makes small adjustments (-1 to +1) and doesn't alter the size of the picture very much. I couldn't find any relevant settings using the remote menu.
Is there any way to reduce the size of the picture so that I get the whole picture on my screen instead of missing part of the picture on the right and left sides of the screen?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Picture too big for screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Picture too big for screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Goto set-up
by givemeaname / March 31, 2007 6:12 AM PDT

then to 'Screen' play w/ those settings.

Is this happening on a receiver box or OTA or both?

Collapse -
Picture too big
by doowopper / March 31, 2007 9:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Goto set-up

Pardon my naivete but I am not sure what OTA means. Perhaps you could explain. As I mentioned in my first post, I tried the menu settings for the tv but that didn't help. I also tried looking at the menu setting for the HD cable box but I couldn't find any relevant settings to change.

Collapse -
OTA (over the air) as in using an antenna to receive local
by NM_Bill / April 1, 2007 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Picture too big

stations the old fashioned way without cable service. Yes, there is too much jargon. One I never quite understand is: "lol" Seems like it might be: "lots of luck" but that meaning often seem to fit.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / April 1, 2007 7:36 AM PDT

"LOTS OF LUCK" makes sense sometimes; but primarily is used to indicate "LAUGHING OUT LOUD."

OTA as in "OVER THE AIR" TV. The correct name is "BROADCAST TV" as opposed to "SATELLITE TV" or "CABLE TV." OTA is shorthand for the lazy or uninformed. I've even used it just to communicate with those kind. Another term making the rounds is "ANTENNA TV." Pick your fave.

Collapse -
Is this a 16:9 TV?
by ahtoi / March 31, 2007 6:36 AM PDT

If it is then my guess is that you are watching a 4:3 video. I don't think there is any solution if full screen is what you choose. It's all about compromise.

Collapse -
Kind of reminds me of what they used to call "overscan"
by Psych Doc / April 1, 2007 12:50 AM PDT

They used to design this right into the sets years ago to help compensate for the picture loss as the set aged. It was, if I recall correctly no more than about 3-4% of the picture though, so I doubt that's the culprit.

My guess is that it's not the TV but the cable box that needs to be adjusted.

Does it do the same thing when your signal source is a wide screen DVD?

If it isn't a problem with a DVD then it's definitely your cable box. If it is then it's definitely the TV. In the former case, call your cable provider and ask for help. In the latter, call Sony and d escribe the problem.

Good luck.

Collapse -
You haven't adjusted everything on your TV yet
by Dan Filice / April 1, 2007 9:26 AM PDT

Go to the WEGA Gate setup menu (your remote may have a blue button that chooses this), scroll down to where you get to "Screen" settings. Make sure your settings follow this: WideMode: Normal. 4:3 Default: Normal. Overscan: Normal. Now, when your Sony sees a 4:3 picture it should display it as 4:3, unless you force it to fill the screen by choosing the Full, Zoom or WideZoom mode. You didn't say if you had a HD cable box. If you do, you should have a setting where you can choose what the format of your TV (4:3 or 16:9). If you have a standard cable box, you won't have this option.

Collapse -
by doowopper / April 1, 2007 11:24 PM PDT

In the screen settings menu for the tv, the choice of wide mode settings for the tv are Wide Zoom, Zoom and Full. The Normal mode is grayed out. According to the tv manual, the Full Mode will produce the picture at its original size for a 16:9 source. I have it set to Full Mode but still have the problem described in my first post.
The only relevant setting on the remote for my HD cable box is 16:9 which is where I have it set.
I tried to determine if the same problem happens with dvds but I couldn't tell - no writing on the sides or top and bottom of the screen. If you have nay suggestions on how I can test if the problem occurs with dvds I would appreciate the information.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
by Psych Doc / April 2, 2007 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Settings

Take a DVD with a lot of detail over to a friend's house or a Best Buy where you know for a fact that they don't have this overscan problem and pop it in a DVD player. Pause the DVD at a couple of known points and make a note of exactly what you see on the left and right extremes. Go back to your set-up and do the same thing. If your set is showing less information then it's definitely the set. If not, it's the cable box.

Collapse -
Q about Roadrunner
by Dan Filice / April 2, 2007 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Settings

Isn't Roadrunner the connection provided by Time Warner or Comcast cable? Not that this makes a difference, but since Roadrunner handles both Internet and TV, I wonder if the cable company has something set weird? Have you called the cable company? The service call should be free and maybe they can figure something out. The only other idea (that isn't so great), is to hook up another 16:9 TV to your cable box that you know doesn't have this problem. Maybe a friend has a smaller TV that you could hook up?

Collapse -
And one more thing to try...
by Dan Filice / April 2, 2007 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Q about Roadrunner

On my HD cable, the remote also has a button that makes the cable box do it's own "Zoom", like your TV does. Do you have the cable box in a "Zoom" mode? This would make it difficult to get the correct Zoom from your TV.

Collapse -
Finally figured it out with a little help here
by doowopper / May 4, 2007 11:33 PM PDT

In the settings for my Scientific Atlanta cable box, there is a setting for how to display a 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen. I had it set to "Zoom." Once I switched that "Zoom" choice to the "Stretch" choice, the picture returned to a size that didn't exceed the screen size when I viewed a 4:3 broadcast either in 4:3 or in wide zoom.
Thanks Dan and to others for your feedback.

Collapse -
Glad you got it figured out...
by Dan Filice / May 5, 2007 4:55 AM PDT

Yes, there are settings in both the cable box and TV and they all seem to do similar things, but they also conflict with each other. It's frustrating, especially since there doesn't seem to be any clear instructions on any of the devices that tell you exactly what each setting does or how it should be set.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.