Samsung forum

General discussion

picture stutter/freeze problem on LN32A450

by y8boomop / December 11, 2008 3:11 AM PST

I am having a problem on several (but not all) HD channels. The picture stutters. Basically, it freezes for a half second or so, then catches up with the broadcast. It's unwatchable. Would a firmware upgrade help this? It's version 1010.2 and the current version seems to be 1013.3

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: picture stutter/freeze problem on LN32A450
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: picture stutter/freeze problem on LN32A450
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 11, 2008 4:04 AM PST

What is the source for your picture? Cable/Sat, or OTA?

Stuttering and freezing is usually the digital verson of static. If the source picture is your problem, the firmware will probably not improve the picture. Although, it won't hurt the unit either, so if you're inclined to try it, go for it.

However, I think the underlying source is a weak signal on the television. Since HD takes more bandwidth to broadcast and receive, any "static" or interruption of that digital feed will cause the stuttering and freezing.

Collapse -
by y8boomop / December 11, 2008 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: stutter/freeze

The source is cable TV plugged directly into the TV. No boxes. I've checked signal strength using the TV menu and it looks perfect, full bars.

I just downloaded the firmware and realize that I need windows to extract the .exe file. Sheesh, I only have a mac.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 11, 2008 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: stutter/freeze

If you'd like an update and you don't have access to a PC, you can call 800-SAMSUNG and they might be able to send you a firmware update on a drive. My understanding is that it takes a few weeks, so I'd recommend eithe a friend who has a PC or a library or college - but it's up to you. I apologize for that inconvenience.

Collapse -
Same Problem - Stuttering video with QAM converter
by bhinderb / January 21, 2009 12:36 PM PST

I'm having what seems to be the same problem. I have the cable feed directly plugged into a LN46A550 (antenna in) - no boxes in-between. I find that on the HD broadcast channels using 720p some shows and commercials have the stuttering issue. For me (TWC in LA area) it's on channels 7-1 and 11-1. I see this for most prime time TV, but for news and other times I only see stuttering during commercials.
The signal strength on the affected channels is similar to the other HD channels (5 or 6 bars).
An xbox plugged in through composite doesn't have this issue, though I think it is up-converting to 1080i/p.

Collapse -
LN32A450 freeze frame video
by sel53 / January 31, 2009 12:08 PM PST

I have the same problem on my Samsung. It happens only on widescreen 720p broadcasts coming over the cable (no cable box). The 1080i stations work fine.
I also notice that the progressive scan settings on the DVD player make the frame rate drop discernably (bot not a freeze); the interlaced works fine.
To troubleshoot I tried a line amp ... totally unnecessary, I hooked up a friends TV and it worked fine. Finally I went to Best Buy and told them I didn't want it anymore. They gave me a new one, which does the same thing. Sounds like a processing power problem to me.
I would love to hear of anyone who actually fixed it.

Collapse -
LN32A450 stuttering audio instead of video
by Monk444 / March 12, 2010 7:21 AM PST

In my case, the audio on HD broacasts on several channels intermittently goes into a digital breakup for abot 5 seconds and then goes back to normal. This happens about every five minutes which makes the whole HD broacast experience less than stellar. I have the cable hooked direct into the antenna input, no box. I had the cable guy out yesterday and he said the signal is strong. Don't know what else to do.

Collapse -
Same Audio Problem
by MitchTSullivan / January 4, 2011 12:47 AM PST

My mother's TV is doing the same thing. Watching ANY HD programing. She has cable hooked straight to the TV, no box. This problem is fixed by switching channels, then back to original channel. That's no fun!

She is so upset with this TV.

Samsung HD Tech, please help me out. Thanks

Collapse -
Same Audio Problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 10, 2011 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: Same Audio Problem

It could be a signal strength. But, if it's happening on different some channels (and not others), then it could also be signal compression, which is common in broadcast transmissions. If that's the case, the only solution would be a cable box.

The problem is that the signal may test strong, but just because the connection is strong doesn't mean that the broadcast signal that passes through is.

In some cases, having the cable company provide a signal amplifier can fix the issue, and some cable companies do that free of charge as a courtesy. In other cases, it's a signal/distance issue, and may require a cable box.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.