HDTV Picture Setting forum

Tip

Picture settings: Samsung UN40F5000

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / October 3, 2013 4:30 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un40f5000af/4505-6482_7-35656204.html

Related products:
Samsung UN22F5000
Samsung UN32F5000
Samsung UN46F5000
Samsung UN50F5000

Calibration report using these settings: [see below]

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Samsung UN40F5000 in a dim room via the HDMI input. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: The Movie mode's default picture settings were quite accurate, but not nearly as dead-on as some previous Samsungs. The biggest issue was a somewhat plus-blue grayscale.

My first decision in attempting to improve upon default Movie was to whether or not to employ the LED Clear Motion setting, which controls whether or not the TV uses backlight scanning. The On position did result in a very slightly cleaner image during motion with test patterns, but it was a vanishingly small improvement. As usual turning it on also cut light output roughly by half, so I had to peg the Backlight control at max to achieve my target light output of 40 fL. Doing so adversely affected gamma, causing a big spike at the upper end of the luminance scale. Given these issues I elected to leave the setting Off for my calibration.

I didn't have to change much else to hone the TV to near perfection. I didn't even miss having a 10-point grayscale or color management system--the default color, in particular, was superb.

Picture menu:
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 93
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

--Picture Size menu--
Size: Screen Fit

--Advanced Settings sub menu--
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
Color Space: Auto
White Balance: (see below)
Gamma: 0
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

White Balance submenu:
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 26
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 22

--Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Auto 1
LED Clear Motion: Off

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Picture settings: Samsung UN40F5000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Picture settings: Samsung UN40F5000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
picture settings for samsung ua32eh4000rxxa
by andyroyce / December 10, 2015 2:47 AM PST

hello, pls can someone help me with the picture settings for Samsung led tv ua32eh4000rxxa

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.