Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Picture it! Publishing 2002

by Kenneth Morgan / April 29, 2006 7:03 AM PDT

I really liked this programme which I had on a previous PC - although it was version 2001- and was installed as OEM.
Consequently, I bought Picture It! Publishing 2002 to install on my new current PC which has WindowsXP Home, Service Pack 2.
I bought the software from an internet software company and it looks like the genuine article.
I've now tried several installations,carefully following all instructions, with Anti-virus and firewall off, all with the same result as follows:-

The installation goes OK without a hitch. I can open the main menu screen for Projects or new designs but when I select a project and try to open it , the programme shuts down and reverts me to my desktop.

Since Microsoft no longer support this programme, can someone help to resolve this problem.

many thanks

Ken Morgan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Picture it! Publishing 2002
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Picture it! Publishing 2002
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Picture it Publishing 2002
by RIchisRich / June 26, 2006 3:18 AM PDT

Mine did the same. I found out you need alot of memory on your ram drive. If not it will shut you out. This is the best over all program I've found for beginners.

Collapse -
Need a Patch
by Wallstridr / August 4, 2006 11:15 AM PDT

I have a patch I download from Microsoft. I tried to find the link but guess I didnt save it I was having the same problem with my Picture It Publishing Platinum program click on a design and it would crash installed the patch and it works fine now. You may encounter on some designs when you open them that you see only a green box this is not something you have done its a defect in the software. If you will send me your email address to res45@ctc.net I will place the patch on a download server with a email link. Make a folder name it PIP in My Documents and download it to that folder its a self extracting file all you have to do is double click the file and it runs itself then restart windows and open the program fixed my problem. Hope it works for you.

Collapse -
Patch
by MariaEugenia1 / February 8, 2007 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: Need a Patch

I just updated to Windows Vista and Picture it Publishing platinum crashes. I sent you my e-mail address today (02/10/07)
Can you still send the patch?
Thanks in Advance,

Collapse -
picture it publishing problem
by seventeen48 / April 22, 2008 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Patch

From your post I take it you were actually able to install the program but had problems with it afterward. I can't even get mine to install. I love the program but had to get a new computer (Vista) and it will not install Picture It. I have tried several times. I had no problems whatsoever with my XP computer and haven't found a picture program I like as well, plus I have pictures with the .MIX ending from Picture It that absolutely will not open in any program in Vista. I'll be checking back to see if you find a solution to your problem. Maybe someone will be able to help me with mine too.

Collapse -
Picture It Publishing 2002
by lynnmarie49 / May 28, 2007 10:27 PM PDT

I have the program for Picture It Publishing 2002...I now have a new computer with Vista...How do I install Picture It...Or what can I do to make it so the automatic server can create object for it...the error reading is Microsoft Picture It 2002\openscri6.its/thumbs\6.htm

Collapse -
Picture it publishing 2001 -Vista -Virtual PC 2007
by MariaEugenia1 / June 1, 2007 12:23 PM PDT

Picuture It 2001 or 2002 wont run on Vista. This is my solution :I installed Virtual PC 2007 in Vista (Vista as a Host) and Windows XP as a guest. It's important that after setting up the XP machine, you click on Actions and Install VM additions.
Then after checking that Internet Explorer is working. I installed Microsoft Picture it publishing 2001 and it runs fine. So far I haven't find any solutions to install Picture It publishing 2001 or 2002 directly in Vista without having problems while using it. ( I know it installs and runs a little bit but sooner or later it keeps on crashing) You need a lot of RAM memory to run Vista and Virtual PC 2007.I have 2559 MB RAM.
Here is the link where I download Virtual PC 2007
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

If you need to read about how to install It, here it's the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/appcompat.mspx
Once you have completed the download, double-click Setup.exe file to begin the installation process.
PS. It will install fine on Vista Home Premium

Collapse -
Can't move files off Virtual PC
by seventeen48 / August 21, 2008 12:58 PM PDT

It took me several tries but I got Virtual PC to work on my Vista so I could install XP as guest. I thought everything was fine as PIP worked fine. Then I tried to take the files I had worked on off the computer so I could use them somewhere else and couldn't. The only "send to" option was to floppy drive A which no newer computer has. When I installed the same discs on my old XP computer I had a CD option as well. I don't know why it doesn't show up now. I can take the files anywhere inside the Virtual PC but not out of it. So I'm still stuck with not being able to use PIP to do what I want. Anyone know how to overcome this problem? I've gone through everything that has been in this forum and this is where I'm at now.

Collapse -
PATCH ONLY WORKS WITH XP
by Wallstridr / February 2, 2008 3:08 PM PST

IF YOUR USING VISTA THERE IS NO PATCH TO MAKE PICTURE IT WORK THE PATCH ONLY WORKS FOR XP

Collapse -
Please send patch ASAP
by merelong / August 21, 2008 10:43 AM PDT

I have been using Picture It for several years as a school teacher. Over the summer, all of our district computers were upgraded with Office 2007 but we're still using Windows XP. Our IT person was able to reinstall Picture It for me but when I go to open my files, the program begins to open then immediately shuts down. Please Help!!!

Collapse -
I also Need a Patch. Can you help me??
by mommasbabygirl / June 11, 2008 5:05 AM PDT

My Picture It is doing the same thing as the rest was complaing about. I wonder if you would send me the link or patch to fix mine too . When I installed the cd it said it was finished at the second cd and didn't ask for the third cd at all.

Collapse -
Need Patch
by Wallstridr / July 13, 2008 6:32 AM PDT

The link to the Picture it patch is on Post #17 download it install it and reboot your system it should work fine then. This patch only works with XP not Vista.

Collapse -
There is none for PIP for Vista.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2008 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Need Patch

The message should be clear by now. Go back or forget about PIP.
Bob

Collapse -
Picture It Publishing
by prancer222 / February 1, 2007 11:54 AM PST

Did you ever find out the answer to your question? I am having the same problem and would like to know how to fix it, but can't get any help.

Thanks

Collapse -
Link to Patch
by Wallstridr / February 18, 2007 10:50 PM PST
In reply to: Picture It Publishing
Collapse -
Patch for version 2001
by daffydi2 / March 19, 2007 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Link to Patch

I tried using the patch but it says I don't have the correct Picture It version installed. I have Picture It Publishing Platinum v 2001. I can start a new project, add and manipulate text but when I try to add any kind of clipart or jpg it crashes. I purchased Digital Image Anniversary but it doesn't have the same interface, hardly any clipart, and is definitely geared more toward imaging than publishing. I also have Picture It version 2002 but it won't work at all.

Can someone help me get Picture It 2001 running properly?
Using HP Pavillion A1730n, Vista, 2048 MB memory, AMD Athalon 64X2, Ncidia GeForce 6150LE graphics.

Here's what it says:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: pip.exe
Application Version: 5.0.1.3410
Application Timestamp: 39795368
Fault Module Name: PIDOCOB.DLL
Fault Module Version: 5.0.1.3416
Fault Module Timestamp: 397cb5ee
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0006af89
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 3f82
Additional Information 2: ab817da62549299a288d90d0b036ed1d
Additional Information 3: 8977
Additional Information 4: e287d801f3f823ed270653d57d496a7e

Collapse -
Picture It Publishing 2001 and Vista
by daffydi2 / March 20, 2007 10:20 PM PDT

I have Picture It Platinum 2001, and the patch is only for v2002.

2001 installs and opens okay. I can add shapes, text, do edge effects, etc.

It crashes when I try to add any clipart or jpg files. Anybody out there know of a fix for that?

Collapse -
Microsoft Picture It Publishing Platinum 2001--
by daffydi2 / March 22, 2007 9:15 PM PDT

New wrinkle in mystery!
I discovered that I can open picture files straight from windows explorer, and I can manipulate them -- effects, illusions, resize, etc. But program still shuts down if I try to insert from the "add something" command within the program. There's GOT to be something I'm overlooking. Can any of you smart people out there help me out?

Collapse -
Microsoft Picture it Publishing 2001 and Vista -VirtualPC
by MariaEugenia1 / April 4, 2007 6:07 AM PDT

I don't claim to be a "smart one" but what I did today was to download Virtual PC 2007 (free from the internet) Then I installed Virtual PC 2007 in Vista (Vista as a Host) and Windows XP as a guest. It's important that after setting up the XP machine, you click on Actions and Install VM additions.
Then after checking that Internet Explorer is working. I installed Microsoft Picture it publishing 2001 and it runs fine. The nice thing about Virtual PC 2007 is that you can install other programs that don't run in Vista. So far I haven't find any solutions to install Picture It publishing 2001 or 2002 directly in Vista without having problems while using it. ( I know it installs and runs a little bit but sooner or later it keeps on crashing) If you find a better solution , please let me know. In the mean time I'm running mine in Virtual PC.
PS. You need a lot of RAM memory to run Vista and Virtual PC 2007

Collapse -
Picture it 2001 with Vista and Virtual PC 2007
by daffydi2 / April 4, 2007 6:24 AM PDT

Well, Maria you certainly sound smart! I'd like to try what you did. I've got 2048mb ram, does that sound like it's enough? And can you tell me, or tell me where to go to figure out how to install virtual pc 2007 with Vista as host and XP as guest? I'd keep on using digital effects but it's only got about 20% of the clip art that PIP 2001 has.

Collapse -
Picture it publishing-Vista-Virtual PC 2007
by MariaEugenia1 / April 4, 2007 6:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
Patch for PIP 2002
by leneybird / January 30, 2008 1:59 AM PST

Hi, I know it's been awhile since you posted the patch message, but I wanted to thank you, I have spent a fortune on 'techies' who couldn't solve my problem. I had purchased a new PC, with lots of memory, and my favorite graphics program, PIP 2002 would not work on it. Thanks to your posting, I am up and going with it again!

Collapse -
Unable to load patch
by kimkillian422 / April 29, 2008 12:32 AM PDT

Downloaded patch and attempted to execute. Receiving message: Error: This updatge is for a different version of Picture it!.

I have Picture It! 2002 v6.0.907.0 which should be the correct version. I'm attempting to run this on a Dell Vista box with 2 GB of ram.

has anyone successfully run this patch? Any help is appreciated!!!

Collapse -
Got patch to run
by kimkillian422 / April 29, 2008 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Unable to load patch

Changed compitibality mode to xp and ran as administrator and the patch ran. However, it didn't fix my problem. Still can't run Picture It on Vista. Has anyone been successful in running it in its entirety on Vista without using partitions or virtual pc? I just want install and run.

Collapse -
Picture It on Vista
by seventeen48 / April 29, 2008 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Got patch to run

I just finished corresponding with Microsoft via e-mail about this very problem. I was told that there was no way Picture It would be able to be installed on Vista as it was too old a program. I'm just lucky that my husband's laptop still runs XP so I can convert my .MIX Picture It files to JPEG. Vista will not recognize .MIX files under any program. I can't get the program to install under XP compatibility either. Guess we're all out of luck as far as a really good program is concerned.

Collapse -
Patch is a lifesaver!
by Hippydog / August 1, 2008 12:55 PM PDT

Thanks for posting that patch! didnt know about.. I've been running Picture It! Publishing Platinum for a few years on my windows XP computer and it usually ran fine.. I just wiped and cleaned my computer and rei-installed everything.. Picture It! kept on chrashing and I could not figure out why?!
I'm now wondering if the Service pack 3 goofed it up? as I never needed the patch before? OR someohow Windows automatically installed the patch for me??
Either way.. weird but the patch got it working again!
thanks!

Here is the download link to the Microsoft Picture It patch.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316861

Collapse -
Picture it Publishing 2002 crashes, patch link not available
by jelomurphy / February 23, 2009 11:02 AM PST

Hi!
I've been using Picture it 2002 on my old pc with win98 se successfully. We purchased a new pc with win xp, I installed the picture it and it worked fine. Last week I upgraded the ram to 2 mb and the Picture it won't work now!
I am so dependant on this program for my home-based business and now I cannot access my paperwork.
I've read several posts that the same thing happens. I open the program, choose a pic from the gallery and the program shuts down back to desktop.
I tried the patch linked to microsoft, but it comes up as an error, so maybe it has moved?
Can anyone help??

Collapse -
Problem with Picture it! Publishing 2002
by agsheckells / December 27, 2008 6:08 PM PST

I am having the same problem, with program shutting down just as it's about to open. Have you found a resolution?
Thanks for any help.

Collapse -
Just ran it fine here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2008 10:36 PM PST

It wasn't my machine but a Windows XP machine from 2002. I hear it no longer installs or works on Vista (most if not all?)

The workaround for that is rather expensive. Research Microsoft Virtual PC.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.